Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  264
Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Default Re: Just Curious: How Many Fly Rods Do you Own

SAGE SP 9' 6wt my favorite
    TFO Finesse 8'9" 5wt
    St Croix Avid 9' 5wt is a great casting rod once I overlined it with 6wt line
    Winston Ibis 9' 4wt
    TFO Finess 7'9" 4wt

As you see all my rods are medium action I'm looking to add one more in 7 or 8 wt for smallmouth fishing since I don't have a orvis rod I'll probably look for one in a midflex not sure of which model

2. Likes noreaster liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
    It's great that you can take a less expensive rod and rebuild it to make it your own. I now have a hankering to build my own rod someday. My first rod was a Fenwick Blachawk graphite made in canada. It is an 8 wt. I fished for small trout all my life. Now that I know a little more about the logistics of fly fishing I have come to appreciate it a little more as it has now landed some monster rainbows, the size more fitting to the wt. I do love the old vintage rods.
    I was at an auction one day, not really paying attention, when my wife says there's a fishing rod up for sale. I bid once and got it for $8. It was ugly yellow, the cork was beat, and it didn't cast well at all, but it was my first fly rod. Years later I was waiting for components to arrive to build a new rod and I was antsy for something to do. I took that rod and removed the old reel seat, grip, and all the guides except the tip. It wouldn't budge. Next I took a razor knife and slowly started scraping away the yellow paint and the pale green primer underneath. Three weeks later I had a beautiful reddish-brown fiberglass blank. I ordered an aluminum PacBay reel seat, and new grip, and all new snake guides, and rebuilt it using simple green wraps with no accents or trim. I finished the whole thing with U40 Permagloss. Now it has this wonderful slow action that I can't find in modern rods that I can afford, and it is truly a one of a kind rod. My total investment is $38.

I'd recommend learning to build/rebuild rods to anyone. It gives a very personal connection to any rod you have.

4. Likes noreaster, Rip Tide liked this post

Smile Re: Just Curious: How Many Fly Rods Do you Own

Orvis Rocky Mtn 905-2 (My first "premium brand" rod, put it in layaway and paid it off)
    Orvis Trident TLS 905-2 ( bitten by the rod bug, I needed it, you know)
    Albright GP 9' 8wt(bought as a back up for Alaska, still has plastic around grips)
    Orvis Silver Label TL 904-4 Tip Flex (first 4 piece for me)
    TFO Reel Recovery(Lefty Pro) 9' 5wt (bought as a donation to RR, good rod though)
    Winston Vapor 490-4 (got a really good deal on clearance)
    Sage z-Axis 490-4 (probably my favorite)
    Scott A4 905/4 (Latest purchase)
    Sage Launch 890-4 (served me well on Silvers and Pinks in AK)
    I also have 3wt Redington that a friend gave me that has never been used, and a 6wt, that I can't remember the brand (maybe Berkley), that was my first upgrade from the first fly rod I bought at Wal Mart many years ago.

6. Likes noreaster liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by pa dave View Post
    I was at an auction one day, not really paying attention, when my wife says there's a fishing rod up for sale. I bid once and got it for $8. It was ugly yellow, the cork was beat, and it didn't cast well at all, but it was my first fly rod. Years later I was waiting for components to arrive to build a new rod and I was antsy for something to do. I took that rod and removed the old reel seat, grip, and all the guides except the tip. It wouldn't budge. Next I took a razor knife and slowly started scraping away the yellow paint and the pale green primer underneath. Three weeks later I had a beautiful reddish-brown fiberglass blank. I ordered an aluminum PacBay reel seat, and new grip, and all new snake guides, and rebuilt it using simple green wraps with no accents or trim. I finished the whole thing with U40 Permagloss. Now it has this wonderful slow action that I can't find in modern rods that I can afford, and it is truly a one of a kind rod. My total investment is $38.

I'd recommend learning to build/rebuild rods to anyone. It gives a very personal connection to any rod you have.
    Great story. I really like hearing this kind of a thing. Having a personal connection to your gear takes the experience to a whole new level. I really enjoy working with my hands. I have dabbled with knife making and woodworking. Not sure what the start up costs are for rod building. The only gear I've made thus far is my little dip net. I have landed 15 or 20 fish with it so far. Feels better than a made in china hardware store dip net. Thanks for the inspiration Dave

If you're good with your hands, you can build half the stuff you'll need. The initial investment ca be a little steep but its worth it to have a rod you finished how you want it.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

9. Likes noreaster liked this post

2wt 6' TFO Kreh Signature Series (very small stream trout rod)
    4wt 7'6" Redington CPS (my go-to trout stick)
    4wt 7' White River Dogwood Canyon (My first rod, gift from the boys)
    5wt 8'6" St. Croix Imperial (finding them bigger trout)
    5/6wt 7' Eagle Claw Featherlight Fiberglass (just for fun)
    6wt 7' Unsigned Bamboo (just to stare at appreciatively)
    6wt 7'10" Redington Predator (go-to bass rod - actually, I have 2 of these)
    6wt 9' Winston WT IM6 (big water trout)
    7wt 9' TFO BVK (redfish!)
    8wt 9' TFO Axiom (stripers and albies)
    10wt 9' Albright XX (big salt)

I guess that's 12. Got most of my bases covered here, but always looking for more fish...

Sep

11. Likes noreaster liked this post
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Quote Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
    What province in Canada? Were you thinking northern or more central?

Right here where I live. I'm on the Rainy River. This is for BIG Walleye and Pike. I have the dream of someday holding every single line class record for Walleye by everyone that keeps records. Other than two fish they are all breakable. Some of them pretty easily.

Last Fall they were hitting so far out it was rediculous. The secondary idea for this 17' 11 wt. is so that I can reach that far. I have a Carron Jetstream long belly line with a 95' head. The first reason is just that casting really far has been so much fun I'd do it even if I never caught a fish.

Here is a Walleye from the Rainy last Fall. It's the 14lb. tippet record. I had a lady Border Patrol Agent as the witness. She snuck up in the dark on Bill (The amazing natural caster) and I in night vision goggles. Never made a noise till she was right behind us. Then out of nowhere "Hey, what are you guys doing?" (answer: having a near coronary) I hooked this fish about 20 seconds later.

13. Likes swirlchaser, noreaster, smilingduck liked this post

And now I officially have two rods .For first time in my life I have them ,not him
    This will be interesting from now on.Something like having two wifes
    I was given old Hardy,fibber...nothing is readable on blank,except 7'6'' feet long.
    I can bet it is older than me
    But,me wouldnt be me if I didnt try it instantly and feeling is good

15. Likes noreaster, wannafish, Guest1 liked this post

2 12 wts custom sage glx blanks
    4 10 wts 2 sage 1 lamniglass 1 penn
    4 8 wts 2 saints and 2 orvis
    2 6 wts both orvis
    2 4 wts both orvis
    1 3 wt lamniglass
    1 1 wt abercrombie & fitch