Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Favorite Strike Indicator

I have been using the small thingamabobbers and they seem to create major weak spots. I end up putting them on my furled leader a few inches above the tippet ring to assure I don't get a weak spot in my line, but it ends up creating a mess if it does get tangled. I feel that there has to be something better out there. I was looking at some of the foam indicators that have surgical tubing running through the middle and thought that might be the answer.

What is your personal favorite strike indicator/bobber?

Default Re: Favorite Strike Indicator

Quick release indicators from Waters West.

Because they release when you get a fish on you can do some deep water vertical fishing if you so desire.
    The take is the premier moment.

Mr. P.'s Blog

If you do use the ones with the surgical tubing thru the middle, put it on and then wrap your line thru it again. Holds better. I've tried several types and keep buying those football looking indicators.
    Okiemountaineer

Quote Originally Posted by mrp1 View Post
    Quick release indicators from Waters West.

Because they release when you get a fish on you can do some deep water vertical fishing if you so desire.
    Those work very well for deep nymphing stillwaters and if you use a tapered mono leader? Joni and I have been using them for years, but they're not the best for furled leaders. For me (and I hate nymphing moving waters) the Thingamabobber works the best for me.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

My favorite is the AirFlo strike putty. I truly use it as an indicator so it doesn't suspend the fly; just something to keep my eye on. I use a piece about the size of a #14 nymph or smaller. An added benefit is it doesn't disturb the water much when it lands.

When I want to suspend the fly it is either a thingamabobber or the stick ons.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by fishiowa View Post
    My favorite is the AirFlo strike putty. I truly use it as an indicator so it doesn't suspend the fly; just something to keep my eye on. I use a piece about the size of a #14 nymph or smaller. An added benefit is it doesn't disturb the water much when it lands.

When I want to suspend the fly it is either a thingamabobber or the stick ons.

Rich
    x2 here for smaller waters. If I'm fishing big rivers with multi nymph rigs, then I use a medium sized thingamabobber. If I'm micro nymphing a suspended nymph, I use the stick on foam - or a stimulator/dry.

Cheers,
    Mike.

7. Likes jaybo41 liked this post
    Blog Entries

If you fish over spooky fish on spring creeks or very slow moving water try using a parasol-emerger followed by your favorite dropper: Tying Schollmeyer's Parasol Emerger
    Larry

9. Likes Ard liked this post

I really like the Thingamybobber but they are a pain to use with furled leaders which I use most of the time. What I hve done is used a very small swivel to attach the bobber to the line and also used a piece on mono tied to the leader then to the bobber. Both work well.

11. Likes fredaevans liked this post

The tip of my line dont use em

13. Likes Ard, imxer liked this post

I use poly yarn and a rubberband. Easy to customize the size, quick to adjust, and floats all day. Did a short video for teaching purposes. Go to my blog at www.flyfishersplaybook.wordpress.com to view it. Yarnies are great.

I would post it on here but for the life of me I can't get a video to load....
    Last edited by double dry; 09-26-2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Facebook link?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast