Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Broken tip how much will it effect my cast

I have a 10' 7wt rod that i broke the tip off of this summer. Only about 1 inch broke off. How much will this effect my roll cast and overhead cast? I put an eye at the end. This is my primary steelhead rod. My back up is a 9' 5 wt.... challenging, I'm on the fence about paying reddington 30$ to fix the rod plus i gotta pay initial shipping cost (I'm cheap I'm in college).

Default Re: Broken tip how much will it effect my cast

The rod might seem a little faster but you'll probably never notice the difference
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

I'm with RT on this one. Just 'one inch' isn't going to make much difference. 4 would make a heck of a difference..
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

1" won't make much of a difference. My first rod I built is 4" shorter ( another story...actually 3 or 4 stories) and it's still a fine rod. As RT stated it does make the rod a bit faster. 4" definitely does.

Larry

Before you repair it, I would contact Redington about the effect on the warranty if you do a home repair. What happens if you break the rod again? Will the home repair on the tip section void the remaining warranty?

Some rod companies do not honor "lifetime" warranties if any repairs other than a factory repair has been done on the fly rod.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I think it would be worth it to have it fixed by Red. I assume you will get a whole new piece?
    You will never regret having a mint rod cause of 30 bucks. Just me humble opinion

Thats just beer money for a night isn't it?
    Last edited by noreaster; 09-26-2012 at 08:32 PM.

I've done the exact same damage to two rods. Our local hardware store, and the local fly shop has extra line guides/tips. I just put a replacement tip on for under $5. They hot-glued it on both times. Minimal effect on casting as far as I can tell. My cabelas 9'5wt's is now a 8'9", and is a bit more 'snappy', but still a fun rod.
    If you've got 30$ and an extra rod to fish, getting a pro fix would be nice though. If I broke my new Scott A4 I would get it professionally fixed, but it is a much nicer rod.

Instagram page @tblom77