Any pics of this fly?

LLL

Reaction score
Hi,

I glanced very briefly at an article where either a "Welsh Witch" or Welsh Water Witch" fly was mentioned - I tried googling for a picture but did not come up with anything - does anyone know where I can view a picture of it on the net?

Many thanks,

LLL

ROVER

Reaction score
I tried searching for it and couldn't find anything at all. Are you sure thats the correct spelling or name. Possibly it was a personal creation and someone just named it that.

LLL

Reaction score
Will have to try and find the article again - but 90 per cent sure it was named welsh witch

FISHN50

Reaction score
There is an old Carrie Stevens Streamer Pattern named The "Witch" & also a "Welsh Rarebit" pattern that's not a Carrie pattern.. Could it be one of these?

"Witch"

Welch Rarebit (not misspelled)

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

Herb Welch is the daddy of modern streamer flies. Besides the Welch Rarebit he designed the Black Ghost. He lived in Main I think and started the long shank streamer design. The Black Ghost is a great fly pattern and it still catches fish today. Carrie Stevens was much better known than Herb Welch. She originated the Gray Ghost and the Water Witch. I am not a historian and a search on these two names will give you a bunch of information about streamer flies in the early 1900's. You can buy their fly designs made by modern day tyers.

Frank