The Fly Pick-up.

hoshnasi

Reaction score
There are so many techniques in casting both in pictures, video and tutorial online. However I have seen little to nothing in the pick-up of the dry fly when we're ready to recast doing the least amount of disturbance to the water.

Can anyone provide from details on how to do a fly pick up in the best way? I think I'm mainly looking for a why to keep the fly from drowning.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

first, you should let the fly drift away from the area where the fish are before picking up for another cast. If you are fishing a stream this will be very simple. Many times you may catch a fish far below the spot that you are convinced that you will, even if the fly sinks as it goes into the sweep at the end of the drift. If the fly is constantly drowning during the drifts as it begins to swing then you may want to bring it to hand and give it a treatment with floatant.

Still water presents a different circumstance for a tidy pick up. Here if avoiding a disturbance if a real issue I slowly draw the fly in toward me using the old finger gathering technique so it moves so slow there is virtually no wake as it moves.

Last; when I was young I sat on the bank of Little Pine Creek in Pennsylvania and watched an elderly man who was fishing dry flies. The man (I learned later when we talked) was from New York State and he used a bamboo rod. He was so smooth when he fished I have always remembered him fishing that morning. I learned a style of picking my fly from the water by watching him and even though this was over thirty years ago I use it still. When he was ready for a pick up, he held his rod tip rather low and with wrist action began to shake the line side to side. As he did this he slowly raised his rod tip and the two motions when combined, (the shaking line and the butt section of the line being raised with the rod tip) allowed him to transmit the movement in the line all the way out to the very tip section of the line. As the line undulates and rises the motion allows it to break the anchoring grip that existed between the fly line and the meniscus of the water. You must think about this as you read and then you should try to remember this and give it a try until you have it working for you. The result that this gentleman produced was obvious to me as I watched him. His line seemingly danced of of the surface of the water. There was no 'slurp', no bubbles, nothing but a clean quiet pickup! I began to emulate his style as I fished that same day and I use this style every time I fish dry flies.

Since I have never seen 'His style' outlined in books I have always thought it something that was his and by using it when I fish I am in a strange way paying homage to an elderly stranger form somewhere up around the Catskills and thereby creating a legacy that he never knew would exist.

Try what I have endeavored to describe here, it isn't hard and once you see how well it works you will adopt it and use it. Sometimes I wonder; if a young man stops and watches me work the line the way I watched the old man, if they do they will become like me the same way that I got to where I am.

Let me know what you think and when you try this please come back to this thread and post your feed back on what I have shared with you. Oh yeah, remember I didn't invent this, we owe it to an elderly gentleman from NY sometime around 1978.

Ard

wjc

Reaction score
My God, Ard. My neck hackles went up when you described that. That's exactly the way I pick line, and for an extra reason besides getting a nice pick. I fished bamboo almost exclusively in freshwater for almost 30 years and came close to snapping the tip several times when large trout or bass would hit as I started the pickup and the fly just started moving.

So I started jiggling the rod tip with my arm outstretched forward, while moving my elbow back and up and raising the whole rod but keeping it pretty horizontal.

If a fish hits then (and a lot more did hit this way) not only is the rod safe, but there is plenty of rotation room to set the hook.

If not, by then all the line is up, and a sharp rotation lifts it off the water without slurping. I use this technique for all but the most difficult pickups which require a roll cast or two to get the line up.

Cheers,
Jim

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I give my line a 'shake' to break the surface tension as Ard discribes, but I use some kind of abbreviated roll cast to pick up the line before making a back cast.
I never even realized that I did it until I read a description of it some where.

Jackster

Reaction score
If I don't have tons of line out, I simply lift the rod which therefore lifts the line until just the fly or maybe some of the leader are in the water then do a quick back cast. This seems quite quiet and does not cause much disturbance.
It's when you try to lift fly line stuck in the surface film that you make the noise, as Simon Gawesworth is known to describe as "A Frenchman slurping soup"!

trick

Reaction score
New guy here, just got back into flyfishing. My new Redington Classic arrived a little bit ago. Took it outside to give it a test run and found that this technique works in the grass as well. Occasionally the small piece of yarn I had tied on was getting hung up on the Johnson grass stubble, but not anymore. Thanks Ard! :)

I have so much to learn.

Matt

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
New guy here, just got back into flyfishing. My new Redington Classic arrived a little bit ago. Took it outside to give it a test run and found that this technique works in the grass as well. Occasionally the small piece of yarn I had tied on was getting hung up on the Johnson grass stubble, but not anymore. Thanks Ard! :)

I have so much to learn.

Matt
You're welcome Matt & welcome to the forum. You came to the right place for information the membership is deep with experienced people. You should do a new member introduction thread and let the group know you are here and will be posting some questions.

Ard

FrankB2

Reaction score
Ard,
That's absolutely incredible! I'm not talking about the line pick up, but the idea that you were young in 1978.... :p:D I was a junior in high school, and considered myself fully grown. :D I even had a 1965 Mustang. :cool:

While I never really have a problem getting line off the water on a stream, landing and lifting line on still water is something that I'm very concerned with. I use the same technique Ard outlines regarding still water, and while it can seem to take forever, it's well worth the time. I've been using a 4wt rod almost exclusively for well over a year, partly to reduce the impact of the line on the water.

Here's an Oliver Edward video demonstrating a "Snap Roll Cast". It's not a roll cast, but employs the roll cast method of lifting line off the water:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-cS93AWpII]YouTube - Oliver Edwards Demonstrates the Snap Roll Cast[/ame]