Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  65
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Chasing big chub.....

Here are some pics Dan...you'll see the mouth is "oriented downwards"..it means this fish rises vertically on the dry like a grayling...the tail and fins are different too...he back is usually green the sides silver.
    a big one
    http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...orite-fish.jpg
    just caught the dry

a small one

a nice one

2. Likes Guest1, madjoni, GrtLksMarlin, cpiercem liked this post
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

In that show I watched they never caught a Dace bigger than the one in your hand. They did get one pretty nice Chub. Not as big as the ones you have there but pretty big. The funny part was they stayed at a Hotel with a stream running past it. You needed to cross a bridge to get to the hotel. They went all over the place looking for a big Chub, and never got anything even close to being big till the end of the last day they were there. As they returned in the evening to the hotel the guy who was hosting the show took a try just down stream of the bridge into the hotel. That was where he got the big one. Pretty funny if you think about it. He went with the whole crew back and forth over that spot, coming and going, everyday they were there, passing the big fish by to trek all over for little ones.

4. Likes jpbfly, cpiercem liked this post

The fish that is often called by the old English name "chub" in North America is actually a fallfish (Semotilus corporalis), just as a "bream" in North America is actually a sunfish. But unlike (American) bream, (American) chubs are lousy eating.

6. Likes jpbfly liked this post
    Blog Entries

Funny story Dan
    Thanks for the explaination moucheur...now I understand why our chub(Leuciscus cephalus) is bigger than the one you have in north america...what we call bream doesn't look like a sunfish at all

I once caught a "chub" (fallfish) in Vermont that went 19 inches. I was fishing a Wooly Bugger for trout and it surprised the heck out of me. I don't think I've ever caught another that was more than 5 or 6 inches.

We have lots of fallfish in the more western part of our region. They do get quite large (approx 12 inches) and they do hit flies like crazy.

They are extremely rapid, strong and jump out of the water. They are fun to catch. They are also very easy to spook. They travel in schools and are constantly on the move.

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 AM ----------

We have lots of fallfish in the more western part of our region. They do get quite large (approx 12 inches) and they do hit flies like crazy.

They are extremely rapid, strong and jump out of the water. They are fun to catch. They are also very easy to spook. They travel in schools and are constantly on the move.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Chasing big chub.....update...

Went fishing for big guys yesterday...no fish on sight for at least an hour....then started seeing one.... then another ....then little groups of three or four fish feeding on olives.Caught the first one on nymph on sight and all the others ten or so... on dry.Took some videos with my mobile...not easy to hold the phone in one hand and the rod with a big fish on in the otherall the fish are around 20'...
    http://www.dailymotion.com/jpbfly#video=x1bmhth

http://www.dailymotion.com/jpbfly#video=x1bmif1

http://www.dailymotion.com/jpbfly#video=x1bmhws

cool fish!

Blog Entries

JP: Very nice, great to see you getting out and sight fishing for some really nice sized fish, congrats!

Larry
    Larry

My chub would be bait for your chub! I caught this guy awhile back, frankenfish almost. Your chubs have an intense beauty about them.
    Last edited by christianfishn; 02-09-2014 at 08:35 PM.

14. Likes jpbfly liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast