Suggestion on Simms waders?

stlskyline

Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing a pair of Simms waders and was looking to see at what price point/model anyone would suggest. I usually fish 2-4 days a month were waders are used; in all seasons.

I went into Feather Craft here in StL and tried several models on and now I want a pair. My cheap pair of breathables have been patched a few to many times(will be back up). It's turning a little cooler here in MO and I love to fish when not so crowded on the streams. Water on the inside is never a good thing.

Reactions: Ard

ted4887

Reaction score
When it comes to Simms, you basically need to determine what price you're comfortable spending.

I'd also recommend comparing similar models by other companies just to see if you can get a better deal. Nothing at all wrong with Simms, as they have some great waders, but I'd never limit myself to just one brand when there are plenty of other quality manufacturers out there.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree 100% with Ted. if you have an Orvis store nearby, never count them out. Many people use the waders sold by Cabela's also, the rub there is that you can't try them on prior to purchase unless you've got a store near by.

Currently I'm using a pair of Simms G3 waders. I have had good service from Hodgman, Orvis, LL Bean, Red Ball and Seal Dri waders over the years Provided this pair of Simms meet my expectations based on their cost I will probably buy another when these are done.

Ard

gutz1

Reaction score
Agreed. If it's in your price range, the headwaters wader is a great wader that gets you gore-tex and is made in Montana. The extra abrasion resistance feels pretty good, too.

But it's almost priceless for the easy-to-take-a-leak patagonia suspender system (i don't have them but often wish i did for that reason alone).

Definitely check out clearances on all sorts of brands, too. Wader technology doesn't really change very often.

mike63

Reaction score
Fit is critical. That is why I went with the Simms G3 Guide Waders. I am 6 ft 1 in with short legs (32 inch inseam) and have a size 13 foot.

The G3 and G4 are the only waders I know of on the market that have a range of sizes close enough to fit me. If you are an average size guy with a size 10 shoe, any of the models are probably great. Simms are reliable, good service and quality products across the board.

Simmsfishing.com Size Chart

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Up till this year I thought it was insane to go around in a $300 pair of waders. That being said, I love my Simms waders. I still think it's nuts to pay that much. I got mine on a closeout for $79. I'd wear flip flops and swim shorts before I paid $300 for waders.

mysticm

Reaction score
I went with the Simms Headwaters, which are their cheapest USA made GoreTex model. It has served me well so far through many trips in hard use conditions (bushwhacking through thick stream side brush, crawling on the knees and fishing in Icy conditions)

I can personally attest to their breathability, this summer I was fishing a local stream with my wife and was comfortable in the high heat / humidity while she was pretty steamed up in her Simms Blackfoot model (non-Goretex)

Ultimately, fit trumps everything else. I spent a lot of time trying various brands before buying the Headwaters. Also, I purchased them through a local fly shop.

Finally, Simms is offering the current Headwaters model on sale at many Fly Shops.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Being an anti-brand loyalty type I eschew brand and buy by fit and price. Trying waders on is key but gravel cuff and suspender design is important and I like fleecy hand warmer pockets. Most all except the upper end Simms are made in the same city in China anyway and I must admit that with the exception of discontinued US-made LL Bean, Gore-Tex Bomb Proof waders, the Simms G3's are the most comfortable ones I have owned...they didn't last a season longer than any of the Chinese ones I have had though and the record for longevity went to a Korean-made wader called Gillie Gear, long out of business now. Waders like fly lines and tippet material are disposable products but one makes you comfortable, another makes your rod cast better and the last presents your fly so buy what works for you not by the label on the bib. PS: Simms has changed some of their wader models and may be having a sale on discontinued models.

chauncey

Reaction score
since the new simms 2013 g4s are coming fly shops are starting to discount their current g4 stock (my local shop is going to start discounting them up to 20%). I also looked on ebay and found several NIB pairs of g4 pros and g4z simms for less than retail.

mrp1

Reaction score
I love my Simms G-3 waders and I totally agree with the guys who have said how important fit is.

dhayden

Reaction score
One other thing too.. Simms will replace the feet on thier waders.. I think it's $50.. to get a more custom fit.

The real gore-tex (simms or other brand) - are very easy to find pinhole leaks in.

And I'm Simms wader guy all the way.. and not just becuase it's 1/2 mile from my house now that they're moving - My Old LL Bean Waders are my most durable.. they're amazing (Kevlar knees, etc)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Dan,

I've been wearing stocking foot since 1979, they have always felt (with a good shoe) more agile thus making my wading record over a 34 year period; In Stream falls = 0 Shore Line falls = 2. Not bad by any means of accounting :)

bigtone1411

Reaction score
I have a pair of Cabelas, I believe the Alaskan guide waders, for about four years now. In fact I took them to Alaska this year. I have not had a leak yet (Knock on wood). They also have a waterproof zipper pocket on the chest that I always keep my camera or cell phone in. I do not see this exact model in their catalog anymore. I will be sad when it is time to replace them.

Tony

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I hear that Tony, prior to the Simms G3 I use now I had a pair of LL Bean Wicked Tough Waders. They were as the name implied, tough and I got a little better than 10 years from them. When I needed more they had been discontinued. I tried the replacement in the lineup and ended up returning them and buying the Simms.

Drop a PM sometime and tell me how the Far & Fine is work'en out,

Ard

Noiso

Reaction score
I had to get Simms waders - the only waders I could find that would fit my feet. I think they are G3's. I got the custom size 16/17 foot. I love how they fit. My old waders were many sizes too big because you had to order them xl to get the bigger feet. Now my waders fit nicely and turn the ladies heads!

My cabelas size 15 wading boots were way too tight with these so I use them for wet wading and they fit great with a couple pairs of thick socks.

When I started out I got a cheaper pair of waders in a size 14 foot and they hurt my feet and sprung leaks wear my toenails were jammed against the neoprene. I also have some L.L. Bean waist highs with size 14 feet and they fit a little better, but were quite thin and I tore them a little - I tend to be hard on things so I like the extra rugged build of these Simms, I think they will prove to be a value because of this.

The only company that makes a wading boot to fit with these is (drumroll) . . .
you guessed it, Simms! Unfortunately shortly after I purchased the $350 custom foot waders my financial situation changed considerably. Fortunately I just got a pair of size 16 Simms Freestone wading boots as a gift. I look forward to breaking these in very soon in the rivers of N. CA.