Wading boots Sizing question

romanl

Reaction score
does anyone know how ORVIS wading boots run compared to other brands?
today i went to ORVIS store, tried on their new Sonic waders and will be picking up a pair.
at the same time i tried on pair of ORVIS River Guard Easy On boot.
(in everyday skate shoes that i wear i've always been size 12)
but in Orvis wading boots sz 11 is what fit the best.

so while im set on buying their waders in store, for boots there tend to always be some good deals online and im not set on any 1 particular brand.
so i want to be sure when i order them that they all fit similar?

so would sz.11 in ORVIS boot be same as sz.11 in all other major brands?
thank you

mojo

Reaction score
Just like every other shoe/boot manufacturer out there, there will be some 12's that will fit you, some will run large, some smaller. You just have to try them on. Use your street shoe size and take it from there.
I wear a 12 in street shoes/ boots, my Simms Riversheds are 13's, and I just got some Simms flats booties (for the kickboat to wear with hippers) and those are 14's. I also have a pair of Orvis brouges in 12.
I also think the thickness of the wader foot can determine the boot size too.

Noiso

Reaction score
You should definitely bring your waders into Orvis (or they might have sample neo booties for trying on - I know Simms does at their "stores") and try on the the boots with them on, even if you do end up buying them online.

Call Orvis and ask them - they have excellent service.

Last edited:

romanl

Reaction score
yea i went to the store yesterday and tried some on
which is where i found out that sz.11 fit me best,
i think ill go to a local shop and try on few different brands

balenciaga

Reaction score
i got size 9 and with 2 pairs of thick socks and orvis wadders they were still huge, they run large. from my experince

45fisher

Reaction score
mojo's got it right...it depends on the manufacturer...

my street shoe size is 8.5-9

my Cabela stocking foot wading boot is a 9 (a perfect fit)

for wet wading: (with a pair of 2mm neoprene socks)
my 1st pair of Korkers(v1.0) were a 8.
my 2nd pair of korkers(v2.0) were a 9.
Not sure of v3.0...I refuse to by any more Korkers...

Try them before buying.

larry

dusty h

Reaction score
Dont get hung up on the size. Get what fits. I know a lot of people who it seams like they have a psychological disorder when it comes to shoe/wading boot etc. They get it in their head that they are a size 11 in shoes/boot or whatever and they are adamant that is the only size they can get. If you are a size 11 and the 12's fit then get the 12's. If 10's fit get the 10's. If your going to buy online at least try on the ones you are looking at a store and get the correct sizing. Another thing to watch out for is not just the sizing but the opening of the boot you are buying. Wader booties make your foot bulkier and can bunch up. If the opening of your boot does not open very wide when you try to step in it will squish your foot and pull your toes tight regardless of if there is enough room for your foot to sit comfortably or not. Just my 2 cents.

whalensdad

Reaction score
If you're planning on fishing cold water, consider bringing thick socks to wear when you try on the boots. I purchased sz 10 SIMMS boots and find that my toes are cramped when I am up on the Salmon River in the heart of winter. While they fit great the rest of the year, they ended up being too small when it's cold.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Many good points above. NEVER-EVER-NEVER EVER buy a pair of shoes (street/water/what-ever) with out trying them on before. On line? SPARE ME!:eek:

Take your waders down with you (socks too) and try them on/walk around. Two minutes will tell you if the Puppy Hunts, or not. Street shoes/wading boots don't fit? You're in deep doo-doo 'PDQ.':faint:

fae

golfnfish

Reaction score
I currently have wading boots from Simms, Patagonia, Orvis and Chota. I wear a size 12D street shoe and have found size 13s fit me best for use with waders. Suze 12 fit me best for wet wading. I think its hard to have one pair of boots that fit well for both wader and wet wading (even with the neoprene wading socks).

All the advice above to try the boots with the waders and socks you plan on using before buying is absolutely correct.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

When you say "fit me best" do you mean they were snug like a street shoe? I ask because I've had both snug and loose fitting boots. Of the 2 I would point to the loose fit for better all day comfort. Now when I say loose I don't mean that my foot is sliding around in them, I just mean there is a wee bit of additional toe room. On a long day my feet are happier if they have a little wiggle room especially for the toes.

Ard

biggie_robs

Reaction score
Hi,

When you say "fit me best" do you mean they were snug like a street shoe? I ask because I've had both snug and loose fitting boots. Of the 2 I would point to the loose fit for better all day comfort. Now when I say loose I don't mean that my foot is sliding around in them, I just mean there is a wee bit of additional toe room. On a long day my feet are happier if they have a little wiggle room especially for the toes.

Ard
Couldn't have said it better.

romanl

Reaction score
thanks guys, lots of good advice and i appreciate it
the reason i was asking about sizing from brand to brand difference, is because i already tried on orvis boots on with waders on in store.

but with wading boots, i've seen some good deals online (much better then instore) so i was thinking that i might order a pair online.
but i will check out my local shop that carries multiple brands and hopefully thy have a sale going on.
i did not know about thick socks trick. so i will do that as well.
as mainly i want my waders for cold weather.
because when i fish around So.Cal i just wet wade in my old skate shoes, (have too many, this is just another way to wear through them :D )

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Hi,
When you say "fit me best" do you mean they were snug like a street shoe? I ask because I've had both snug and loose fitting boots.
Ard
ok, so with waders on:
13sz was too big, i could easily fit my thumb behind my ankle and boot
12sz better but i would still slide a finder between back of my ankle and the boot
11st nice snug fit, but i was still able to move my toes and if i tired to slide foot back and forth seems like there were few millimeters of space, so probably for a decent winter sock

btw, when you guys say thick sock, what kind of socks do you use in cold water?
can i use my snowbaording smartwool socks. ? i just never thought they were thick , in snowboard/ski boots you dont want the extra thick layers.?
any links/images as example would be great

thank you

dusty h

Reaction score
thanks guys, lots of good advice and i appreciate it
the reason i was asking about sizing from brand to brand difference, is because i already tried on orvis boots on with waders on in store.

but with wading boots, i've seen some good deals online (much better then instore) so i was thinking that i might order a pair online.
but i will check out my local shop that carries multiple brands and hopefully thy have a sale going on.
i did not know about thick socks trick. so i will do that as well.
as mainly i want my waders for cold weather.
because when i fish around So.Cal i just wet wade in my old skate shoes, (have too many, this is just another way to wear through them :D )

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

ok, so with waders on:
13sz was too big, i could easily fit my thumb behind my ankle and boot
12sz better but i would still slide a finder between back of my ankle and the boot
11st nice snug fit, but i was still able to move my toes and if i tired to slide foot back and forth seems like there were few millimeters of space, so probably for a decent winter sock

btw, when you guys say thick sock, what kind of socks do you use in cold water?
can i use my snowbaording smartwool socks. ? i just never thought they were thick , in snowboard/ski boots you dont want the extra thick layers.?
any links/images as example would be great

thank you
I wear my snowboard socks when its cold out as well and I think thats plenty. With the materials that are out there now thick doesnt necessarily mean its going to be warmer than a high quality snowboard sock (which are actually not all that thick) so I would say as long as your wading boots feel like they have enough room in them with your snowboard socks on you're probably good to go. Also depending on how much river you cover or walking you do keep in mind that your feet actually "swell" when your active and moving about so make sure that you size up if your boots are snug when you initially put them on. I made that mistake myself on the last pair of wading boots I bought. They were on sale and I probably needed size 12's but of course they did not have any left. The 11's fit snug with my waders on but i said to myself "they are alright, im sure they will pack out a little". Wrong! unlike shoes/snowboard boots etc. wading boots dont really pack out. Their isnt really a lot of material to comfort your foot in most boots except for cushioning in the sole so make sure you dont make the same mistake as I did.