trout on spinning gear

eaglesfn68

Reaction score
hi guys, i want to get into fly fishing but for now all i have is spinning gear. I usually catch bass but now im going for some trout. What would be some good tackle choices to catch trout on spinning gear.

JASON

fyshstykr

Reaction score
A gob of worms on a barbed treble hook. :frogdance

Just kidding folks.

Jason I'm not sure your gonna get many responses to your question here, but I would ask you to consider pinching your barbs and replacing treble hooks with a good quality nickle silver or chrome plated "single" hook.

J.

FlyFisher77

Reaction score
hi guys, i want to get into fly fishing but for now all i have is spinning gear. I usually catch bass but now im going for some trout. What would be some good tackle choices to catch trout on spinning gear.

JASON
Ok ok, a few of my friends would rather spin cast than fly fish, and they usually slay the trout on either all gold or all silver 1/4 ounce panther martins.

trout champ

Reaction score
Worms and bobbers always seem to work for me. If you have a second rod stamp or wanna use lures red and white "Lil Devil" seems to worm too.

Randy

Surfin the Susquehanna

Reaction score
Depending on whether you're fishing a lake or a stream.

Lakes - Color seems to be the key here. Power baits work well, but you need an assortment of colors to see what they are hitting on. Corn works if yellow is the color, wax worms work great if white is the color, and worms or fathead minnows are also a good option. Spinners work well if you dont want to bait and wait, usually a really small spinner works best.

Streams - most succes I have had, or heard of is with minnows or worms.

todd r

Reaction score
If you are river fishing the best bet is a spinner ( I like panther martin). I also use rainbow power bait, crickets, wax worms, mikes shrimp scented salmon eggs, etc.... The most important thing is hook size, I want a gold hook about the size of a piece of corn , can't rember the size but one salmon egg will hide the hook. I guess it could also depend on what area of the country you are fishing. If you get salmon eggs they will keep after they are open if you put them in the fridge. You want just enough weight to cast so that the bait will move along with the current.

zerolimit

Reaction score
With ultralight spin tackle, you can assemble a fishable nymphing rig. Using one of those bobbers that you can partially fill with water gives you some weight to cast and becomes your strike indicator. From there you assemble a typical nymph rig with shot above a tippet knot and 10-14" to the first nymph.
Line control is tricky.

On top of all the good stuff already mentioned by others, I have had success with Rooster Tails and silver/blue Kastmasters. Those little suspending broken back Rapala minnows can be good too (stillwater).

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Ok, I'll add one spinner that works well for me, Don't tell anybody. LOL

A silver "Vibrax" #2 or #3, they are made by Blue fox.

Comes with a nice chrome plated single hook in the pkg, you have to take that nasty treble hook off, the chrome single hook removes very easily as long as the barb is pinched.

rscheckler

Reaction score
Now this is my area of expertise.

Now if you are at streams and lakes there are a few lures that I find essential to catching fish.

First would be your 2" white Mister Twister Grub as seen here.

Second would be the Acme Kastmaster as seen here.
The most success I have had with the kastmasters are with the all silver and all gold models.

Third would be Panther Martin spinners, especially models 002 and 001 from the link here.

I also recommend that you use these lures without a swivel. I find that I catch a lot more fish without the use of the swivel and with it. It might take a few extra seconds to put on a lure, but to me it is well worth it.
Lastly, the lower pound test you use the better. For trout in streams I stick with 4 pound test and for the rivers I use 8.
I hope this is what you were looking for and I hope this helps.

coolkyle

Reaction score
Back in my trout spinner days the best spinners I tried were the gold/black, the rainbow, or the black/orange Panther Martins. One often overlooked method is also twitching marabou jigs. Try white, purple, black, or olive 1/8oz or 1/16oz, and just slowly bounce them above the bottom as they drift in the current. I've seen a 21" searun cutt take a purple jig, seen steelhead take them, caught plenty of salmon.