Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Default Woozer! Four Coug's in one picture!

When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

2. Likes mcnerney, fyshstykr, Ard, jpbfly liked this post

Default Re: Woozer! Four Coug's in one picture!

Here on the east cost of Canada, we would be happy with one in a picture let alone 4.

We re trying to confirm the existence of the eastern cougar. There seems to be some evidence, tracks and testimonials, but I don't think anything concrete. My grandfather witnessed a giant black cat jump up on an old oil barrel that was at the back of his property that bordered on a heavily wooded area in Southern New Brunswick, years ago. What stood out, he said, in his mind was the large long curled tail.
    "Whale oil beef hooked !"- Traditional east coast fishermen saying

Quote Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
    Here on the east cost of Canada, we would be happy with one in a picture let alone 4.

We re trying to confirm the existence of the eastern cougar. There seems to be some evidence, tracks and testimonials, but I don't think anything concrete. My grandfather witnessed a giant black cat jump up on an old oil barrel that was at the back of his property that bordered on a heavily wooded area in Southern New Brunswick, years ago. What stood out, he said, in his mind was the large long curled tail.

We have confirmed the east coast cougar in NY State...in fact here are 6 of them:

Blog Entries

How did I know that a "coug" joke would appear?

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
    We re trying to confirm the existence of the eastern cougar. There seems to be some evidence, tracks and testimonials, but I don't think anything concrete.
    This one was killed on a highway here in Connecticut just last year. That's pretty concrete!
    It wasn't somebody's pet that had escaped either. It was "tracked" by sightings, hair and scat all the way from South Dakota and confirmed by DNA

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

I believe the "eastern Cougar" is a sub-species, if it came from South Dak. its not an Eastern Cougar.

9. Likes noreaster liked this post
    Blog Entries

September 19 1981, 9:40 PM on Rock Run Road located in Cogan Station PA. about 3/4 mile from my home a Mountain Lion walked out from Charlie Ghere's tractor trail and paused for about 5- 8 seconds about 25' in front of my stopped vehicle. I had the high beams on it and guesstimated the weight at 95 - 110 pounds. I based the weight guess on the fact that I had a 65 pound setter and was accustomed to what 65 pounds looked like.

I wrote it down on a life list and remember the occurrence very well. I had several (2) other unknown large mammal sightings but could not swear they were cats although they sure fit the profile. The one I site I saw perfectly.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    September 19 1981, 9:40 PM on Rock Run Road located in Cogan Station PA. about 3/4 mile from my home a Mountain Lion walked out from Charlie Ghere's tractor trail and paused for about 5- 8 seconds about 25' in front of my stopped vehicle. I had the high beams on it and guesstimated the weight at 95 - 110 pounds. I based the weight guess on the fact that I had a 65 pound setter and was accustomed to what 65 pounds looked like.

I wrote it down on a life list and remember the occurrence very well. I had several (2) other unknown large mammal sightings but could not swear they were cats although they sure fit the profile. The one I site I saw perfectly.
    C'mon now Ard, the PFGC avows that they don't exist! Even though numerous photographs and eye witnesses have sworn to have seen them.....I guess we're all a bunch of fibbers!
    Last edited by mrfzx; 10-22-2012 at 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling
    Homer

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

My mother in law lives in West Virginia. There is an old barn on her place that's kinda fell into ruin. Groundhogs have burrowed under it and come out close to the barn. Maw saw a cougar TWICE prowling around the barn,,,I suppose 'scenting' the groundhogs and maybe looking for supper. The second time she saw it she called the DNR office and ask them to send a state trapper,,or anyone,,,, out to live trap it maybe and move it. They said they could not use manpower to try to trap an animal that couldn't in any way be in her area. She said 'Fine, when I see it again, I'll shoot it then you can come and get it.'

Tune changed...it was 'No M'am, do NOT shoot it. Just do NOT.'

Well,,,at least she cranked an admission of a sorts out of them lol

They never did send anyone, and as far as I know,,,after the second sighting,,she hasn't seen it again.