indicator

horseman_37601

Reaction score
ok guys,
i fish tailwaters for trout in east tennessee. usually fish 2 nymphys or midges with a indicator. is there any general guidelines for correct spacing, i know it depends on water depth, but i am looking for some general guidline??? spcaing between nymphs? spacing to indicator?
help-----

williamhj

Reaction score
Generally (unless the water is rather fast or slow) I start with 2x the depth of the water so the nymph will drift near the bottom, fast water more than 2x, slower water, less since without much current the nymph will hang closer to vertical beneath the indicator.

I usually fish a weighted nymph with a more emerger type trailing about 15-18 inches behind. This lets the second nymph float up from the bottom a bit and have good movement. That's just me :)

thewalker1013

Reaction score
How deep are you fishing, and how fast is the water moving? Is it really slow-moving water (as in, painfully slow, long, drag-free drift- type tailwater)? If so, I would just go 1.5x the depth, maybe even just a hair less (only did this in Arkansas the few times I've fished there, or on the Guad in TX)

I was in SW CO a couple of weeks ago closing down my folks' place for the winter, and fishing there this time of year was the exact opposite of how I would fish in, say, the Little Red in Arkansas, the Guad here or the Blue in OK (Blue being the closest trout fishery to my current locale).

William is pretty spot-on with that advice, and variations come with specific applications. I might throw an unweighted nymph about a foot behind some tung shot (I quit lead and felt) and another off of that one . If your shot gets hung up on the bottom, try rolling some tung putty on your line.

I like weighted nymphs in slower stuff, a little more of a direct connection. I don't feel like it matters as much in faster water and use shot more often, unless its a dropper, in which case I almost always use a beaded or weighted nymph (unless its a trailing emerger), though it just depends on which flies I want to use.

I guess there's just no short answer, just like everything else in our sport... Just listen to William, apparently I'm not good at the whole brevity thing

double dry

Reaction score
Here's a little blurb on setting up a nymph rig. Rigging for nymphing - YouTube

Remember, in a typical nymphing situation, you want the weight hitting bottom with the bugs suspended above the weight in the column. Obviously, a heavy dropper nymph will tumble on bottom as well, but your goal is to have the weight on bottom too.

Speed of the drift is just as important a factor as depth, so find a system that works for you in quickly setting up for both.

[ame=http://youtu.be/6K5Cgd6_K9Q]Rigging for nymphing - YouTube[/ame]

Hopefully, one of the two links work.

Duane

silver creek

Reaction score
ok guys,
i fish tailwaters for trout in east tennessee. usually fish 2 nymphys or midges with a indicator. is there any general guidelines for correct spacing, i know it depends on water depth, but i am looking for some general guidline??? spcaing between nymphs? spacing to indicator?
help-----
I have to say it depends on how you are using the strike indicator.

For example, are you using the indicator as a bobber to float or suspend the flies so it will "indicate" the strike?

Or are you using the indicator to show you when the flies are on the bottom and to show the the drift lane that the flies are in? The purpose of the indicator then is two fold; first to confirm that you are close to the bottom (bottom bouncing) and to indicate the strike.

The way you would weight the flies, and the positioning of the flies (heavy on top or bottom) depends on what you are trying to do.

In my opinion, it is not as simple as put the heavy fly either on top or bottom with a spread of "X" inches between each fly. Think in 3 dimensions - where the fish are holding, how fast the water is, and what kind of fly you want on top or bottom. You want to mimic what is actually happening rather than use the same rig all the time.

For example in non hatch periods, I want the heavy fly on top so that it bottom bounces, the lower fly is the lighter midge larva and it would be hanging downstream of the the heavier fly. I want the fish to see the fish to see the the midge larva first. This is what the fish is looking for, a midge larva that has been broken free from the bottom. And when the the line comes by you and you lift the rod, the midge larva will rise to the surface (Leisering Lift).

During hatches, I want the midge pupa on a dropper above a second midge pupa or larva as the bottom fly and the strike indicator used as a bobber to suspend the rig. I place a spit shot off of dropper either BELOW the bottom fly or place the split shot between the two flies.

Note I use a midge larva near the bottom and the hatching midge pupa patterns in mid water. This is what happens during a hatch.

horseman_37601

Reaction score
thak you silver creek for the information, very helpful.
fly or die, i mostly fish the watauga river