What discourages you on the water?

redncwings

Reaction score
I just recently picked up fly fishing and bought a decent setup. I have pretty much no experience at all. Thus I bring this question to the table.

What discourages you when you’re on the water? What would be a great idea in fashion; what would you like to see produced on the market to make fly fishing safer, more efficient, more effective, or easier on you. This can be a current product or something brand new. Please relay me any ideas you have; the ideas will help me brainstorm and come up with my senior project for college. Plus if I end up using someone’s idea I'm willing to make additional prototypes and send them to you to see if I actually produced something of use or need to redesign to iron out any problems (that is if it is reasonably small and easy to prototype). I'm sure some ideas could become quite large and expensive to produce. And because I'm a poor college student money could be a factor in what project I can take on. Thanks for your time

Nicholas :smile:

larrysmith9865

Reaction score
Nicholas,

Good question but, I cant think of one time I was on the water flyfishing where I stopped and said "If I had this my day would go better" There is a few time I said I wish I would have tied another one of those flies when I lose my last one, But besides that nothing. With me it is a time I get back to basic. Me a pole and the flies I tie trying to just catch that one fish. I love catching every fish I do, but I go looking for the one. I still have not caught it and maybe never will, But thats the excitment in it wondering if this is it every time my indicator moves. For me anyhow like I said, "basics"

BigCliff

Reaction score
Welcome to the group!

I'm trying to think of a product type solution, but I can't think of anything either.

zerolimit

Reaction score
If I feel any discouragement on the water it is born of my own limitations in knowledge and skill. There is a gadget for just about every task and management challenge in fly fishing but I wouldn't discourage anyone from coming up with a "better" way.

I don't have any ideas for filling any essential need but I have an idea or two for a couple of useful though unnecessary and completely trivial gadgets. The first one would be very cheap to prototype for a project.

1. Indicator Yarn dispenser: Use one of those plastic caps for holding and hanging floatant bottles. Attach 3 or 4 inches of clear plastic tube. Stuff in a length of your favorite yarn mixture in the right diameter and cap off with another soft plastic cap cut/perforated like a starfish. Feed the yarn through like a kleenex dispenser. Probably good for two to three quick indicators on the stream.

2. Stream thermometer strip built in to wading boots and/or waders: More of a feature than a gadget really.

fatguide

Reaction score
How 'bout some way to "relieve" oneself without climbing out of the water and stripping down. It's about the only thing that frustrates me. It's time waisted.

redncwings

Reaction score
I thought of the thermometer in waders...lots of people doen't understand that cold water can be deadly...I was thinking of running a digital readout from a thermometer cuffed in the boot somewhere or the butt of the fly rod so minimal exposure to the water is needed to get a good reading of the water temp....the digital readout would be a clipon and could be applied anywhere on the body; however I would be more less designing a hoster or enclosure for the themometer and unsure if it will meet some of the other requirements of the coarse. However, I am pleased to meet someone else on the same wavelength as I and thank you for your ideas. I will try to keep everyone posted on how my project is going. Thanks again

zerolimit

Reaction score
I thought of the thermometer in waders...lots of people doen't understand that cold water can be deadly...
You are right about that but I was thinking more along the lines of cold water makes trout happy. :icon_cool

redncwings

Reaction score
Yea, as sick as it may sound I know the feeling...when you have to go you have to go....unsure of legalities of using the river as a bathroom; and really unsure if I would feel comfortable in my waders with a bag full of urine. However, a very interesting idea at that; could possibly be a fun project in deed. I will keep this in mind and let you know if this fits the coarse requirements. Thanks again.

redncwings

Reaction score
I never thought of it that way....again, inexperienced just started this past summer....so this forum should be very good for me. Thanks again

zerolimit

Reaction score
I never thought of it that way....again, inexperienced just started this past summer....so this forum should be very good for me. Thanks again
Water temp is a good reference for fish activity and you will notice that thermal pockets and transitions in both still and moving water can lead you fish. Good luck with your project.

BigCliff

Reaction score
On the water temp line of thinking, how about a wading staff that had the temperature sensor on the bottom but a digital display on/near the top? You'd have to design it so that the sensor was protected from abuse/damage though. (I'd also make the display large enough for aging eyes)

I think one could sell well at $70 or so.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
I got so much stuff on me now I don't think I could carry anything else. I got a pole,waders, vest, hydration pack, and hat. maybe a fly fishing vest that has a built in hydratrion pack on the back. almost like a chest pack with a 1.5 liter camelbak on the back.that would be sweet.do they got those already? if so they are prolly like 50 or 100 bux! if so make it for the budget fly fishermen! charge 30 bux or so! make it in camo!

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Hey Zero,
I use a plastic film container(35mm) with a hole drilled in the end for my indicator yarn, fill it with yarn pull the end thrue the hole and snap the lid on and viola your good to go.

Hi Redncwings,
As for new ideas, wow there are so many things out there, I once thought about putting Mosquito repellant on a baby wipe type of sheet, and then 2 years later someone came out with something similar.

Good luck, I hope we can help you.

P.S. Don't get Mosquito repellant on your fly line!!

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I got so much stuff on me now I don't think I could carry anything else. I got a pole,waders, vest, hydration pack, and hat. maybe a fly fishing vest that has a built in hydratrion pack on the back. almost like a chest pack with a 1.5 liter camelbak on the back.that would be sweet.do they got those already? if so they are prolly like 50 or 100 bux! if so make it for the budget fly fishermen! charge 30 bux or so! make it in camo!

Yup, already been done, look up some of "Fish Ponds" vest, purty nice stuff.

zerolimit

Reaction score
I got so much stuff on me now I don't think I could carry anything else.

Amen George. I'm constantly trying to find ways to reduce the number of things I carry on the stream.

But I can find room for a film canister. Good idea on the dispenser Fyshstykr

BTW, the Fishpond tech vest I'm wearing in the pic below has a built in insulated bladder system.

larrysmith9865

Reaction score
There ya go get me a camera i can use with no worries of droping my cell phone in the water. small and waterproof is good

zerolimit

Reaction score
There ya go get me a camera i can use with no worries of droping my cell phone in the water. small and waterproof is good
Pentax Optio series and Olympus SW770 seem to be two popular choices. There was a good discussion on this topic a couple of weeks ago.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

Here is one idea we were talking about on another post. Something to put on the guides to keep them from icing but won't hurt the fly line.

Frank