Zander (EU Walleye) on the fly!

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I found this between bouts of trying to get my house looking less like a disaster area. Right now it looks like you took a mess and then tossed a grenade into it. :rolleyes: Anyway, take a quick look at this. Here is a guy getting Zander, the European version of Walleye, on a fly. First thing I noticed was he's using a clouser. By the way, Zander get bigger than Walleye. They look exactly the same to the untrained eye. Anyway, I liked it. :thumbsupu:thumbsup: Two thumbs up.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIseuVx9tmE&feature=plcp]Fliegenfischen auf Zander 2. Walleye with the fly 2 - YouTube[/ame]

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this video Dan:thumbsup:I fished for "sandre" for many years ....unfortunately there are less and less after the giant cats' invasion:(...here's and old pic of my missed dear friend Jeannot with a nice one...http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/blogs/jpbfly/158-fishing-friends-5.html
Another friend of mine caught a 3'30 one....should have a paper pic somewhere:rolleyes:may find it after tossing a grenade:D

wtl

Reaction score
Cool to see a Zander. I have read about them before, did not realize how similar it was to a walleye. Not that I know much about walleye, or especially fly fishing for walleye.

danielp

Reaction score
Some of the English reservoirs have them in good numbers now and apparently they can be really good sport on the fly. Yet to try it myself, cant seem to drag myself away from the rivers these days.

Dan

thorsten

Reaction score
Hello,

Nice video - thanks for sharing!!! The first video was made in Germany and we do have some really nice places for Zander. One of them is the Edertalsperre, a dammed lake in Hessen, where they catch every year a good number of that fish. But Usually they are staying deep in the water so that it is not so easy to reach them with a fly.

I never caught one, but after that video I start to think on that challenge :fishing: