7 feet fly rod

amateurforever

Reaction score
Hi,

first of all I'd like to thank all you guys for all the help. I do not have the chance to try many rods, so every time I start a thread here and receive a huge amount of information. It's just great....

The new rod I'm going to buy is a 7 ft for the small streams. I have come to two candidates:

Orvis clearwater 7' 4 weight (the new series),
Sage vantage 7' 3 weight (I know they're on clearance),

I will use it for dry fly (sometimes longer casts, like 40 ft) with occasionally small streamers.

Any comment would be appreciated.

:fishing:

stl_geoff

Reaction score
I recently picked up the 3wt vantage and its a delightful rod. Im very happy with it. I havent fished with a Clearwater in a long time and the one I can use is an old 6wt so my opinion on them isnt equal. i do think you'd be happy with the vantage though. Also look at St Croix Avids, they have a 7' 3wt and I also have one of those I like quiet well.

amateurforever

Reaction score
Hi and thanks for the comment,

I have a 9wt Vantage and really like it. I use it for pike and while it's a medium-fast action, I can throw 2/0 flies for something like 60 ft. But just like you mentioned, the different weights of the same series could have very different characteristics.

I had avid series in the mind as well, but excluded it for some reasons. There are two 7 ft rods, 3 and 4 wt, but both come in two pieces, which is not something pleasant. On the other hand there's a 6'6'' 4 wt, but I feel like it's too short. And then I do not think it would have enough backbone for longer casts and some streamers.

There are some other excluded options too: St. Croix Imperial 7 ft 3 wt, but I read it's a fast action, which I do not like that much for a short rod. I had the chance to take a look at a Sage Flight 7 ft 3 wt as well (I could only examine the rod, but did not cast it) and to me it looked too stiff and a little heavy.

Cheers

I recently picked up the 3wt vantage and its a delightful rod. Im very happy with it. I havent fished with a Clearwater in a long time and the one I can use is an old 6wt so my opinion on them isnt equal. i do think you'd be happy with the vantage though. Also look at St Croix Avids, they have a 7' 3wt and I also have one of those I like quiet well.

chased

Reaction score
You may want to check out the Redington CT rods. There is a 7'6" 3wt that is a treat to cast. It is a little slower than most graphite rods of current times. In my eyes it would make a great small stream rod at a very hard to beat price. Cabela's has them for 50% off making them only $75, a true bargain.

-Chase

noreaster

Reaction score
I have two 7 footers. A Sage RPL Graphite III its 7'3" and a St. Croix Imperial of the same length.
I love them both. The sage is a 5 wt. and the St.C a 4 wt.

On a side note, the Sage (2 piece) had a tip recently replaced. You can see the new honeycombed updated graphite was used, the action is super fast now. Looking forward to casting it in the spring.

I really enjoy the 7 footers in where I am using them. Streams and small rivers with canopy make these a good choice.:)

amateurforever

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the comments, but actually apart from the first comment no one has talked about the rods I asked about.

Still waiting...

rockriver

Reaction score
I like my Fenwick 705 from the early 70's. I recently tried it with Rio Gold
WF4F since I had my Medalist set up for my Z-Axis 4 wt. It seemed to like it okay so I'll try it again in the spring.

comeonavs

Reaction score
I had the Vantage but sold it. Rod was fine but I had 5 different 3wts so some had to go. You mentioned the Avid, I had one of those too and it is much more medium action than the Vantage, therefore IMHO made it a better pure dry fly rod.

I dont know what your budget is but I got a 7'6" ZXL on a good deal and is is super sweet

db cooper

Reaction score
To be candid...of the rods you mentioned i think the Orvis is better. Better warranty, better company, better casting rod. My opinion

A 4wt is the better choice for what you want. A 3 is pretty specialized and offers you no advantage vs. a 4wt in the real world...again...opinion.

Riptide is absolutely correct in my opinion. For what you are looking at, fiberglass is better. I might suggest the Cabelas CGT. Is nicer than either rod you are looking at by a good margin, and fiberglass outperforms graphite every time for short, small stream rods.

Opinions are like...well you know. My advice is good for the price!

lightline

Reaction score
Of the two, get the 4 wt. Clearwater. Get it in the softest (lowest) flex that you can. If you're only going to be casting short, on small streams, you could always get the 3 and put a 4 line on it. I do this regularly with some of my rods, and they're all softer/slower than these two. It makes them feel and cast great at short distances. The line ratings on rods are only a suggestion from the maker, not law or fact.

amateurforever

Reaction score
You're right, thanks and sorry, did not mean to offend anybody... :)

Maybe there's a reason for that....
You did say "Any comment would be appreciated"

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

I'm sure is a great rod and I heard Vantage has a very similar feeling. ZXL isout of my budget, though... :(

I had the Vantage but sold it. Rod was fine but I had 5 different 3wts so some had to go. You mentioned the Avid, I had one of those too and it is much more medium action than the Vantage, therefore IMHO made it a better pure dry fly rod.

I dont know what your budget is but I got a 7'6" ZXL on a good deal and is is super sweet

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

You know what? I like your opinions, but not 100% of it is applicable for me. The reason I started this thread and similar ones is that I do not have the chance to try many of the rods on the market, and the same is true for the fiberglass ones. But there's one difference: I'm happy with graphite and would like to get what has already worked for me, which makes me exclude fiberglass...

Tight lines!

To be candid...of the rods you mentioned i think the Orvis is better. Better warranty, better company, better casting rod. My opinion

A 4wt is the better choice for what you want. A 3 is pretty specialized and offers you no advantage vs. a 4wt in the real world...again...opinion.

Riptide is absolutely correct in my opinion. For what you are looking at, fiberglass is better. I might suggest the Cabelas CGT. Is nicer than either rod you are looking at by a good margin, and fiberglass outperforms graphite every time for short, small stream rods.

Opinions are like...well you know. My advice is good for the price!

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

I emailed Orvis to ask the action of the new Clearwater series and they replied all of them have mid-tip action, which I like. In case I can take your advice and overline the rod...

Best

Of the two, get the 4 wt. Clearwater. Get it in the softest (lowest) flex that you can. If you're only going to be casting short, on small streams, you could always get the 3 and put a 4 line on it. I do this regularly with some of my rods, and they're all softer/slower than these two. It makes them feel and cast great at short distances. The line ratings on rods are only a suggestion from the maker, not law or fact.

Last edited:

Joni

Reaction score

RIGHT ON! I agree totally. But I do the the mixed blends like the Cabela's. I have two 7' 4 wt. bamboo, a 7' 4wt Lamiglass, a 7'9" (custom made) T.L.Johnson a 5' 3" 5 wt Fenwick.

My favorite right now is my 7' Hardy Test and my 6'6" - 4 wt. Cabela's glass (and by the way, I can cast bigger flies 60' easily with this rod and roll cast 50' with ease).

In Graphite I have the Trout Bum and the One Ounce both 7' four.

amateurforever

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the advice. I ended up with Clearwater rod. Can't wait to give it a try, but it's a shame that will have to wait for some months... :(

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
You will need to get yourself a vintage (or new) fiber glass rod in 6'6" or 7' before you discount the rods. I have some and most of us started with them because there were no graphite when we were young. New rods are cool, I understand the excitement of owning 'cutting edge' tackle, but those old rods are way cool when it comes to casting flies.

Glad you got yourself a new rod,

Ard