Green Weenies?

busbus

Reaction score
I have been searching for a good winter pattern and I have been seeing Green Weenies come up a lot. I thought these things were supposed to mimic inchworms. Don't the fish "know" it isn't "inchworm season" now? Or does that pattern mimic other things, as well?

I have been seeing that brook trout like to go after Pink Weenies. Is this true?

And if green and pink work, does any other color work? Black? White? Brown? Red?

Finally, do you make these in sizes 12-14 only? Should/could I use a smaller hook for winter fishing? Or doesn't it look right or work in smaller sizes?

Sometimes I get myself all wrapped up in my underwear because I read too much and get all discombobulated.

Thanks,
ray

busbus

Reaction score
That picture is what I thought this was supposed to represent.

But my question is actually two, I guess:

1. Will this pattern work in any other color? I see "Pink Weenies" on the Internet. I don't know if this is supposed to go after trout or Steelhead though. I was just wondering if other colors would work or if I would just be wasting my time?

2. Will it work if it is SMALLER? Not bigger--smaller? Would a smaller version of this work better in the winter for trout may be a better way of asking.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Hard to believe, I know, but the fish police aren't going to track you down and arrest you if you want to try something different

Yeah it will work smaller. Small bugs grow into big bugs. But the ones that I've seen...in the winter.... were scary big.

Yeah you can tie them whatever color you like, but the rockworms that I've seen... in the winter...were a startling color of bright green :eek:
There's other caddis larva ... cased larva are white... but most all are brown to green

busbus

Reaction score
:) I didn't think the fish police would get nor will the fish gods strike me dead. I just didn't know if I should even try it.

But this answers my questions pretty well. Leave them sort of in the middle. Winter doesn't always mean little everything. And to stay in the brown to green arena.

Okay! Some more tying tonight.

Hard to believe, I know, but the fish police aren't going to track you down and arrest you if you want to try something different

Yeah it will work smaller. Small bugs grow into big bugs. But the ones that I've seen...in the winter.... were scary big.

Yeah you can tie them whatever color you like, but the rockworms that I've seen... in the winter...were a startling color of bright green :eek:
There's other caddis larva ... cased larva are white... but most all are brown to green

bugslinger

Reaction score
busbus, greenweenies are one of the must have flies. You can catch any fish that eats on them. Try them with legs on the for samllies,rock bass,sunnys and carp. If you want to try your hand at fly tying this is a good pattern to start with. This time of year you should start thinkimg about smaller flys as the trout do tend to eat less as the water cools. Midge pupa or nymphs will get you more hook ups this time of year for stocked trout around your place. Good luck, maybe some day we'll hook up for a day throwing bugs at em.

caseywise

Reaction score
busbus,
i've been fishing gw's for a while now ever since i heard of them on this forum(thanks frank!);)
it's a versatile attractor fly that seems to trigger a fast, aggressive response from most fish. big crappie and gills seem to love them in the spring and lmb seem to like them as well.
i think a pink,brown or black variation would probably catch allot of fish in allot of situations;);)
a truly versatile fly:cool:

casey

wt bash

Reaction score
I always thought they started out as a sunken inch worm pattern originated by Charlie Meck but now I see them with bead heads and dressed more like the caddis Riptide pointed out. Anyway you fish them they work and work good!

missin44

Reaction score
I assume you're tying. Try different colors, sizes & any time of year. It's cool to catch fish on on of your experiments.