Furled Leaders

dakotakid

Reaction score
Planning to create my own furled leaders, but would appreciate some guidance. Considering use of 4# P-line, 2# Fireline or 6/0 Uni-Thread. Are there any performance advantages or disadvantages with either of these filaments?

I've also noted that some commercial furled leaders have a tippet ring. How important is that? Everything else seems fairly straight-forward, except I'm not sure how to build in a tippet ring.

Thanks,

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
The furling pro here is Joni, you should send her a PM with your questions. I know she sells them but will probably help a fellow trying to learn,, her user name here is Joni.

Ard

itchmesir

Reaction score
My personal preference is tippet ring.. cinch knot a length of tippet.. add fly... I can see where people prefer a loop for having preset rigs.. so they can just loop2loop and be off... but i feel the loop causes more drag and attracts weeds more often

lotech_joe

Reaction score
I'm so awkward with my Schorb loops that I don't even mess with them. I use a surgeons knot to tie tippet to leader. I also just tie an overhand knot in the doubled back section of the butt. I find them easy enough, and cheap enough, to make that it isn't a problem for me. I find that the Uni 6/0 thread works best for me as far as turning the fly over and no coil memory. I use furled leaders almost exclusively.

dakotakid

Reaction score
Ard, thanks for recommending Joni. Found here blog and here pricing is reasonable enough to convince me to buy, leaving more time for improving my fly tying and fishing.

Itchmesir and lotech_joe
Appreciate your advice.

ditz

Reaction score
I make my own 5' leaders with 4# mono. that I use on my light warmwater rods. I don't fish trout. I made a couple with tying thread but did not like them personally. I use not metal ring and I use loop to loop conections on both ends of the leader. I really like them on the small creeks I fish. I also made a couple heavier for the salt and bass fishing but did not care for them either. I still use simple 2 step mono leaders plus tippet on my heavy rods.

dean_mt

Reaction score
My personal preference is tippet ring.. cinch knot a length of tippet.. add fly... I can see where people prefer a loop for having preset rigs.. so they can just loop2loop and be off... but i feel the loop causes more drag and attracts weeds more often
Those tiny little shorb loops at the tippet end of a furled leader are a bear. The tippet ring is a much better option, I've been tying them onto my knotted leaders at the end of the taper section.

BUT, I you can still use a loop to loop by tying a Perfection Loop or Non-slip Mono Loop onto the end of you tippet and using the loop to loop onto the ring. This is much stronger connection than the old Clinch Knot. If you don't like the loop though you should learn the Orivs Knot and forgo the Clinch. It is nearly as easy to tie and exponentially stronger.

45fisher

Reaction score
Planning to create my own furled leaders, but would appreciate some guidance. Considering use of 4# P-line, 2# Fireline or 6/0 Uni-Thread. Are there any performance advantages or disadvantages with either of these filaments?

I've also noted that some commercial furled leaders have a tippet ring. How important is that? Everything else seems fairly straight-forward, except I'm not sure how to build in a tippet ring.

Thanks,
I have used P-line, fire-line and Uni-thread. I prefer the fireline (#2), then the P-line #4. Uni-thread works but not the way "I" like.
I learned to make my own only because I am cheap. I actully enjoy making them.
I haven't heard anyone ever complain about Joni's Furlead leaders. As a mater of fact I think I have only heard good comments.

dakotakid

Reaction score
45Fisher,

Why do you prefer Fireline over Uni-thread? What didn't you like about thread performance? Was it a casting issue or was it simply easier to work with regarding leader tying (twisting, etc).

Thanks,

45fisher

Reaction score
45Fisher,

Why do you prefer Fireline over Uni-thread? What didn't you like about thread performance? Was it a casting issue or was it simply easier to work with regarding leader tying (twisting, etc).

Thanks,
They cast very well, probably better than the mono or braid, but you have to use some sort of water repellant to keep them from getting soaked. I use just about everything you could think of but I wasn't satisfied...so I opt to use the mono or braid. It was one less thing I had to worry about. Some don't mind doing the treatment. Me I want to fish.

I prefer the braid because by line weight, it makes one strong furled leader and it cast a bit nicer than mono. The mono can be/get stiff and tends to acquire memory. The braid will probably last a lot longer than the mono. Since I make my own I tend to change them out when they don’t ‘look’ good.

I also use a tippet ring. Again 3-5' of tippet and I'm in business. I shorb loop the big end and girth-hitch (loop-to-loop) the tippet ring on to the other. Light furled leader (3wt-4wt), small tippet; heavy furled leader, (5wt +)bigger tippet ring.

Larry

Last edited:

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
The furling pro here is Joni, you should send her a PM with your questions. I know she sells them but will probably help a fellow trying to learn,, her user name here is Joni.

Ard
Oh so yes! Been using, pushing people her way, for a very long time. I even use them on my 2handers. The 'sinking ones' sink like a rock with a lightly weighed fly(s) on the business end.

And you do want a tippet ring. Simplifies changing out that last bit (tippet) that you will apply. You can 'knit,' for a lack of better term, a loop in the end of a FL, but then you have the risk of getting too frisky when you want to want to clip the tippet off and replace. No such problem with a 3mm ring.

fae

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
Just my two cents.
UNI-Thread for dry fly leaders hands down.
I do use spectra/braid (similar to fire-line) and thread, but I find that using only spectra does not work as well.
Nylon material is good when throwing very large heavy flies. We currently make both floating and sinking nylon leaders. Mostly Bass guys are buying those.
I am always willing to answer questions, so feel free to pm me. also, check out our new site. Cutthroat Furled Leaders - Braided Leader - Fly Fishing

If I had only one material to use, it would be uni-thread. I have tried them all.
Thank you,

williamhj

Reaction score
Just my two cents.
UNI-Thread for dry fly leaders hands down.
I do use spectra/braid (similar to fire-line) and thread, but I find that using only spectra does not work as well.
Nylon material is good when throwing very large heavy flies. We currently make both floating and sinking nylon leaders. Mostly Bass guys are buying those.
I am always willing to answer questions, so feel free to pm me. also, check out our new site. Cutthroat Furled Leaders - Braided Leader - Fly Fishing

If I had only one material to use, it would be uni-thread. I have tried them all.
Thank you,
Thanks for the post, I haven't tried nylon or spectra/braid so it's good to hear about them. How does silk compare to uni?