How to Target Larger Fish

zerolimit

Reaction score
George's thread on how to fight big fish is a great idea. It got me thinking about the fact that I've reached a point where I can (usually) catch something on my outings but I'm a bit frustrated with the average size of my fish relative to what I know resides in the streams.

So I would really appreciate words of wisdom from those more experienced on how to target the big fish. I am interested in the different lies, pecking order, and feeding habits of larger fish. The assumption here is that we are not talking about sight fishing.

fatguide

Reaction score
Put yourself into the fishes mind-set.

At an all you can eat buffet, is the longest line in front of the salads/jello? No way, the guy carving the prime rib has the longest line.

Fish are the same way. Look at each run and break it down. The biggest fish got that way because they are at the front of the line. Fish do not like to spend a lot of energy getting their food and the hogs are the best at this. Look at the spots where a hog might be able to use very little energy to move into the feeding lane, eat and move back with very little effort.

Hogs also have the best "houses", under the cut bank, under the log, behind a bump in the surface water (means there is a boulder on the bottom).

I know I sound crazy saying to think like a fish. Many clients I have guided thought the same thing when I told them this, but after a day on the water together they relized I was right.

And by the way I am crazy.

ROVER

Reaction score
One thing I have found works is when the hatch is off , use streamers. Also sometimes a large fish isn't going to bother moving for a small meal so bigger sized flies often produce bigger fish. Lastly, don't be afraid to use Trigger Flies. (Flies that a big fish will bite out of territorial defense, not appetite.)

jimw

Reaction score
Pay attention to the bait the fish do!!!
Fatguide Great reply
You can't find them at the salad bar.

shorthaul

Reaction score
exactly fatguide!---during a hatch i look for the hardest lie with the most current funneled past it---watch the bubble lines---ive noticed that the biggest fish ,a lot of times ,will have the smallest riseforms ---just thier nose comes out to take a fly whereas a small trout will make a big splashy show

good luck when you hook one of the big ones up ---he's headed for the heavy cover which is closeby.

tbrillinger223

Reaction score
Put yourself into the fishes mind-set.

At an all you can eat buffet, is the longest line in front of the salads/jello? No way, the guy carving the prime rib has the longest line.

Fish are the same way. Look at each run and break it down. The biggest fish got that way because they are at the front of the line. Fish do not like to spend a lot of energy getting their food and the hogs are the best at this. Look at the spots where a hog might be able to use very little energy to move into the feeding lane, eat and move back with very little effort.

Hogs also have the best "houses", under the cut bank, under the log, behind a bump in the surface water (means there is a boulder on the bottom).

I know I sound crazy saying to think like a fish. Many clients I have guided thought the same thing when I told them this, but after a day on the water together they relized I was right.

And by the way I am crazy.

Fatguide,

you have a very good point. there is a old saying bigger fish eat bigger baits.... this being said, those hogs didnt get that big by eating just tiny gnats, ants, nymphs,...etc. as they got bigger their forage got bigger.

Rover mentioned that
One thing I have found works is when the hatch is off , use streamers. Also sometimes a large fish isn't going to bother moving for a small meal so bigger sized flies often produce bigger fish. Lastly, don't be afraid to use Trigger Flies. (Flies that a big fish will bite out of territorial defense, not appetite.)
. This is also true when its spring and the fish are "bedded" up, you are more likely to trigger a defensive strike throwing a larger pattern across the bed, than you would if it was late fall. I dont really know much about the habits of trout. but i do know that a big fish isnt going to waste energy chasing a few morsels, when a larger meal will take less energyto catch and provide more nourishment.

Mike,

If the fish in the stretch of stream you are fishing are eating a specific insect, try a bigger fly in the same pattern.for example if the average fish is being caught on a #16 then come up to a #14 or #12. you will see that you will still be catching average sized fish but they might be getting progressively larger. I posted a thread in the saltwater section of the forum titled redfeeesh. that day I caught several "rats" (redfish that are not in the slot limit 18"-27"), I started with a #6 and finished with a #2 red and white clouser. the end result was 2 keeper redfish, 1 was 23" and the other was 26 1/2". dont get me wrong i was still catching rats but they were getting bigger each time. the larger fish are going to stake their clame to prime realestate, that might be held tight to the eddie side of the boulder in the middle of the stream, or under a fallen tree, or even tucked up under an overhanging bank or rocky outcrop. target the areas that you think will be likely places to hold big fish and make you presentation.

tbrillinger223

Reaction score
Jim,

thats the kinda fly that will make a 100+ lb tarpon definitely raise an eyebrow, if they had them.

tbrillinger223

Reaction score
Never fished for tarpon but i know i will someday
you will become hopelessly addicted. there is just something about'em that makes you all wobbly kneed when the take the fly, and then take to the air several times. it is a magnificent feeling

trout champ

Reaction score
A buddy of mine recently put out a DVD and book about cathing trophy trout. His name is Landon Mayer and the book and movie are titled "How to Catch the Biggest Trout of Your Life." I've never caught a huge trout before, but he catches these monsters all the time.

Randy

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
I too have had problems catching huge fish on a fly rod. I have caught plenty of gills and bass and catfish. the catfish were the biggest things I caught. maybe 15 inches or more? one time I did get a bite on a black bugger that was something huge but I don't know what it was cause I blew it and it got away! I agree with the saying bigger is better. but maybe not always? I have heard some fish are very picky and only eat very small flies. this would be brown trout tho. if bigger is better what size buggers do you guys use for say 10-15 inch bass?
I have some made is size 6,8,and 10

zerolimit

Reaction score
Holy Cow. I had to go out and run some errands, going overseas this weekend. I come back and it's like Christmas again. You folks are amazing. I need some time to read and digest.

larrysmith9865

Reaction score
I watched a show where a guy was looking for the BIG BROWN, I dont remember who it was, But anyway the guy said the big fish was like big deer nocternal. They eat at night basicly. I dont know how true this is, But he did catch a monster brown. So maybe stay out that extra hour at dusk or get in the water a hour earlier.

LenHarris

Reaction score
I have tried night fishing once.

All i caught was a swollen knee.

Studies say the Monsters come out at night.

It makes sense.