Anybody trout fish near Nashville,TN?

troutguy07

Reaction score
i was wondering if anybody did any trout fishing near nashville,tn. the reason i ask is because i just moved down here and dont know any of the hot spots to fish at and was wondering if somebody could help me out. thanks

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Don't know if this can truly be considered "near," but the Obey River/Dale Hollow tailwater is 2 hours away at Celina. Never fished it, but stopped to check out the dam and hatchery while driving through. Looked to be good water.

this site might help you out: TWRA Fisheries Management Division

fearsidhe

Reaction score
Hi Troutguy07...

I used to guide on the Obey, the Caney Fork and the Cumberland Rivers... all relatively close to Nashville or at least accessible by expressway.

All carry large trout... 24 inch fish on streamers are not unusual. Streamside access is not all that great... these are float rivers.

Beware... below the Dam on the Caney Fork, its not unusual for TVA to shut off or start water without warning and you can get stranded easily. It happened to me once with clients in a driftboat which left us high and dry for almost 10 hours at a point where we couldn't walk out.

The best water of all is the Elk River... well below Nashville... almost to Chattanooga. The Elk is a tailwater below Tim's Ford Dam. The water is cold enough to be painful. Mostly midge water, the good fish begin a few hundred yards below the public access area (of course). This area is posted but can be easily floated. Fish are wary but big and I mean some real hogs. The fun begins around June when the japanese beetles hatch from the surrounding farmlands. Another caveat.... beware unscheduled discharges! Keep an eye on the water and get OUT if you see it rising. Several people are lost each year due to drowning from unscheduled discharges... you would think TVA would do something, but power rules here...

Maps, topos and satellite photos of the Elk are posted in the Links section of the Chattanooga Orvis Shop "Feather & Fly" front page. Feather & Fly Sporting Traditions

The Cumberland River starting just across the Tennessee Kentucky border is worth a trip. Big water, huge fish but bait fishermen pound the water regularly. Again, the way to fish it is to float.

Hope this helps...

fearsidhe

TnTom

Reaction score
From Nashville East to the Caney Fork below the damn. Wade, canoe or float.Can get a little crowed on the weekends and beware of sudden release. Water is cold!
Lots of Rainbows some Browns to.

waleedijaz

Reaction score
i just moved down here and dont know any of the hot spots to fish at and was wondering if somebody could help me out. thanks

jayr

Reaction score
Near can mean different distances to different people, but generally speaking most areas near Nashville are tailwater streams as mentioned previously.

For freestone rivers, you're looking at East and Southeast TN for the most part. The Smokies are freestone as are most streams in the North and South Cherokee national forests. Getting over into western NC offers even more freestone rivers.

And as to freestone, you can get into some fairly decent sized streams or skinny bluelines.

The East TN area does have some really good tailwater rivers such as the South Holston, Clinch, Hiwassee, etc.

Last edited:

0bie

Reaction score
PM Sent. You may also google "TN Trophy fly fishing forum," those guys are pretty dialed in when it comes to Tennessee fishing.

lil_ol_angler_me

Reaction score
get a copy of Ian Rutters" Fly fishing Eastern TN" it was a godsend when hit tn two years ago fantastic info and not expensive check Amazon for a good deal

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score
I used to live in Nashville years ago. Caney Fork is the nearest water about an hour away. Most of the trout waters in Tn are tailwaters below TVA hydroelectric dams. Like the other poster said BEWARE of fast rising water. It can go from a trickle to a roaring river in a few minutes. Often you can't fish a river because of TVA generating juice. I remember the Elk, Clinch and Hiwassee being nice. Caney Fork not so much.

Last edited:

lil_ol_angler_me

Reaction score
there are numbers that can be called and the TVA will tell you when they are releasing water on each stream, local fly shops can give you the numbers or check the TVA website

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score
The app is very handy, but TVA also reserves the right to change the schedule without notice.
Oh yeah.

Jack Miller (aka 1Wt) and I drove out to the Caney River one morning. The recording said they would stop generating at 9:00 AM. We waited an hour for TVA to stop releasing water and left.