Twisted Leaders - Step-By-Step

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
As promised, here is my step-by-step instructions for rolling your own twisted mono leaders. There is a bit of a learning curve, but not too much. The biggest problem that occurs is that of the two terminal ends of the mono you are twisting together winding back up on themselves. If you don't stop in the twisting process and un-twist these two ends you will end up with quite a mess similar to a backlash or birds nest when casting on a very windy day! :D

Give this a try and let others know what you think. I've been making and fishing these for about 7 years now and would not go back to any other type of leaders.

For the sake of being able to see the line in the photos better I used a dark mono. For my own use I prefer Maxima Chameleon.

Twisted Leaders - Step-By-Step:

Step 1 - After doubling 24' of 2x Maxima and stretching by looping around doorknob or some such, hold as shown in left hand if right-handed:

Step 2 - Begin spinning looped mono clockwise with index and thumb of right hand. Make sure long tag ends are seperated and spin slowly allowing twists to run out of tag ends. Be patient and go slowly.

What previous step should look like as you go...

Results of 1st furl - You've spun/twisted together 24' of 2x mono by using steps 1 and 2 to achieve an approx. 12' twisted piece. On the left is your looped end (beginning)and on the right are your two tag ends

Step 3 - Tie an overhand knot in the two tag ends

Step 4 - This is what your first twist should look like with a loop in one end and two tags which you have tied together with an overhand knot. You now have 24 feet of mono twisted together to approx. 12' with a loop at one end and the knotted together ends of mono at the other. Measure 48-inches from the loop end and bring the knotted end to that point.

Step 5 - After folding the knotted ends towards the looped end 4-ft down from this loop, begin spinning at the newly formed loop (just like you did with the original single piece of mono) until you reach the knotted tags. Tie a double surgeon's knot and trim the knotted tags. The photo shows the doubled and twisted mono forming the finished fly line connection loop.

This photo shows the butt-end loop to attach to fly line along with the Surgeon's knot used to finish off the final furl described in step 5, 4-feet up from original single loop end (left-to-right)

Butt end (attaches to fly line) and terminal loop (attach tippet with loop-to-loop)

This photo shows loop for attaching butt-section to fly line, the Surgeon's knot finishing butt-section to terminal end section, and loop at end of terminal end for attaching tippet.

Step 6 - Since you started with 2x mono for this trout leader, you now attach to the terminal end loop (on left) a 30-inch piece of 2X material (on right) w/a loop-to-loop connection. Tie a Perfection Loop in one end of the 30-inch piece of 2X tippet.

Connected 2X with Perfection Loop in one end to the terminal end of the furled leader with a loop-to-loop. You are now a proud owner of an approx. 10 1/2 foot tapered twisted leader (including 30-inch piece of 2X tippet as described) to which you now attach tippet and go fishing.

I hope my instructions were clearer than mud (at least a little) and that you can achieve the same results. Good luck.

Best Fishes,

Kelly

dakotakid

Reaction score
For the benefit of the uninitiated (me), was are the advantages and disadvantages compared to conventional, furled thread or furled mono leaders.

Thanks

itchmesir

Reaction score
nice sbs.. when i was doing my own twisted leaders.. I used a drill and 2 tea cup hooks.. doubled over the line and knotted it at the tag ends.. had one hook screwed into a wall and then other in the chuck of the drill.. put the doubled over line over the two hooks.. extended and stretched the mono without breaking and pulled the trigger on the drill... could have a twisted leader done up in like 2min.. the part after the drill was kinda tricky.. as you'd have to take the mono off the hook on the drill.. while still applying pressure.. then double over the now twisted mono.. and slowly release and let it twist around itself again.. over hand knot one side to make your loop.. and thread mono to the other end to make for your tippet..

lthrnk03

Reaction score
Great SBS! I started making my own twisted leaders last year. I refuse to buy leaders anymore. Twisted leaders turn over like a dream and the possibilities are infinite. Great thread!

wabi

Reaction score
I've been making my own for some time now. I tried a simple overhand knot instead of the surgeons knot this year, and so far I haven't had any leaders break.
Usually 8# mono for the leader and a 3X tippet for the 3wt. & bluegills works fine.

Hirdy

Reaction score
I use a method similar to itchmesir's, but I peg mine into the lawn with screwdrivers.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ereGGMEAsa8&feature=plcp"]Here's the video[/ame] …

Cheers,
Graeme

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
For the benefit of the uninitiated (me), was are the advantages and disadvantages compared to conventional, furled thread or furled mono leaders.

Thanks
Two things, first, all mono, no thread. Second, no jigs or equipment to build, buy or set up, and relatively easy to make in a very short amount of time - I have made one up streamside. Also, there is no need to grease the leader to make it float like with a thread furled leader.

Kelly.

---------- Post added at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

Hey Kelly, fancy meeting you hear. I didn't know you were a member here too.
Joe, great to see you here also. Yes I've been a member here for a while. I was pretty active at first, but the surgeries and health challenges had me as a lurker for far too long. Hopefully I'll be able to participate a bit more. Hope all is well with you brother.

Kelly.

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
I am still perplexed about why it doesn't just untwist its self...especially at the end that attaches to the fly line. It just seems to defy logic to me.

Also, I wonder if you could do this out of fluorocarbon to make a leader that doesn't float so well.

Finally, I wonder if you could make a multi color one....like a hi vis butt section and the rest clear mono for nymphing without an indicator

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
I am still perplexed about why it doesn't just untwist its self...especially at the end that attaches to the fly line. It just seems to defy logic to me.

Also, I wonder if you could do this out of fluorocarbon to make a leader that doesn't float so well.

Finally, I wonder if you could make a multi color one....like a hi vis butt section and the rest clear mono for nymphing without an indicator
Answer: Yes, and yes. I've done it all. Believe me, it does not come untwisted and is a phenomenal leader. I have used fluoro with much success, but I hated having to change leaders to fish dries. I found by attaching fluoro as the tippet material it did the job.

It works great to make a hi-vis butt section. Just spin a full leader out of florescent material and, after tying the double surgeon's knot where the double twisted pieces meet, cut off the bottom section below the surgeon knot. Twist up another leader with clear mono and cut it above the double surgeon's knot. Now take both pieces (the top double twisted butt section with the loop for attaching to the fly line, and the bottom single twisted step down section with the tippet attachment loop) and tie them together with a double surgeons knot like you would if adding a piece of tippet to any leader, trim the two knotted ends and there you have it. Same connection as if you had tied it up as one piece.

Kelly.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
I'm not much of one to resurrect old threads, but here goes...

A week ago I did a tying demo and a couple of program presentations at the International Federation of Fly Fishers Fair in West Yellowstone, MT. One of the items that most participants in my workshops and tying were interested in was how to make your own twisted mono leaders. Therefore, the resurrection of this thread for any and all who may be interested.

Kelly.

rickf

Reaction score
I wonder if Joni has seen this thread? LOL

What about her ferruled leader business?

If folks can make their own so easy, why would they buy from the dealers on this site?

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
I wonder if Joni has seen this thread? LOL

What about her ferruled leader business?

If folks can make their own so easy, why would they buy from the dealers on this site?
Joni does know about these, and we are great friends. The big difference is that the furled leaders are furled, while these leaders are made only of monofilament and twisted by hand in a very simple process. The furled leaders offered here and by Joni are usually made of various sizes and colors of thread versus the monofilament material I use in these twisted leaders. Furling also requires some fairly complicated jigs with motors and such to do the furling as well as manage the variety of tapers.

Why would they buy from them instead of tie their own? Furled are different than twisted. Furled requires more steps, compound formulas and complicated jigs to accomplish the end results, but those that use them and love them swear by them. I tie my own mono leaders in minutes and I love them and swear by them - different strokes fro different folks. I by no means call these furled leaders, there is a huge difference in the construction process, but they both lay out a fly like a dream

I'm not offering these as any type of financial competition to our sponsors. Just another way to make a quality mono leader for fly fishing without the complicated process or expense required for furling.

I fish only these twisted mono leaders that I make myself, much like many other fly anglers tie up compound monofilament leaders for their fishing needs. I used to subscribe to tying my own compound leaders using step down sections of monofilament tied together with blood knots until I came upon this method quite a few years ago. I haven't looked back. I use them for dry flies, nymph rigs and streamers - even stillwater.

The twist, much like furled leaders adds a bit if stretch to the setup which seems to protect fragile tippets a bit better than regular knot-less or knotted leader systems.

Give them a try, you might fall in love with them as I did.

Kelly.