Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Winter Fishing - Dedication to the Goonies

Winter Fishing has begun in Montana! Thought we would start it out by posting a short video of things to come. This really is one of the best times to fish in MT, because the rivers are usually deserted. Hope you enjoy!

[ame=http://www.vimeo.com/54809078]Montana River Goonies on Vimeo[/ame]
    The fields are endless, but the cows never leave the river side, maybe its the fresh taste of a cold mountain runoff that keeps them close. Or perhaps they just like watching the fly fisherman cast their way down stream (like souls of fishermen past). A young calf looks at his mother, with a sideways curious expression I love the feeling of mud running through my hooves.

http://www.fishalong.com

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Default Re: Winter Fishing - Dedication to the Goonies

It's nice that you have open water and can do that. I drove South to Bemidji yesterday and we had Ice Houses on the river here and more surprisingly there were ice houses on Red Lake and that is 45 minutes South of me. Another week or two and I'll be able to drive out on the lake with a big vehicle at the rate things are going here.

27 days til Winter C&R here in Minnesota.. Can't wait.. Lack of snow though allows most to still come out and enjoy some trout action.. hopefully a couple feet get dropped before Jan 1st.. That usually keeps them at bay.. I just strap on my snowshoes

4. Likes ted4887 liked this post

As I look out my classroom window, its 60+ degrees outside! I have been hunting deer without a coat! There has been some rain...not much though, and the Steelhead streams are lowwwwww.
    Homer

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

Quote Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
    27 days til Winter C&R here in Minnesota.. Can't wait.. Lack of snow though allows most to still come out and enjoy some trout action.. hopefully a couple feet get dropped before Jan 1st.. That usually keeps them at bay.. I just strap on my snowshoes

I was actually just thinking about that today when I looked at the forecast. I would love to get about 2' of hard wind blown snow sometime in the next few weeks to really keep the other fisherman off the streams. The 10 day forecast shows no real chance at it though.

Starting to look like my snowshoes will continue to collect dust.. and my gfs will stay unused if this all keeps up.. what a ****** christmas present that was >.<

What a lucky man!

Rick

Great video! Vimeo channel subscribed!

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Great Video! Ice fishing? Here in the PNW all were getting is rain, and more rain, and MORE rain. Northern 1/3'rd of California is getting hammered; many places over a foot of rain and it's coming down as I type.

Here in the Rogue River Valley? In the past 5 days we've gotten more than 1/2 of our 'average' annual rain fall. And it's coming down like crazy out side. Suspect we'll far exceed our normal 20 inches.

Only 'bummer' is the freezing level today was 7,000 feet so, save for the tallest mountains, what snow we've gotten will be turned into more run off. Not a good thing.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Nice fishing there. What was the air temperature?
    "Whale oil beef hooked !"- Traditional east coast fishermen saying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast