Fly rigging?

jhardin80

Reaction score
Is there a place in this forum that has like pictures of how people rig up their different flies and what not?

Being a beginner it would be great to actually see some pictures of how others are using two or three flies at a time. Unless this is some secret stuff that nobody wants to share :D

I have used two flies mainly so far and it's normally just some dry fly (sorry I don't know the names yet) and then some beadhead nymph that drops down a little further back from the dry and an indicator in front of the dry fly. I don't really know anything else about rigging them for different settings and such.

newby

Reaction score
Here are the basics:

How to fish with more than one fly - There are several situations where tying more than one fly on your tippet makes sense. We go through a few and show you several methods of rigging and fishing more than one fly. - Global FlyFisher

More:

Casting Doubles | Riverwood Blog - Fly Fishing Gear & Guided Fishing Trips in Oregon

That should help with two fly setups.

No need to use an indicator when fishing a dry fly and a nymph, the dry fly should act as a strike indicator. If the fish takes the dry you'll see it, if the fish takes the nymph the dry should twitch, bob, or sink. The only time you might use an indicator with a dry is if you are trying to sink it, sometimes sinking a caddis or ant is very effective.

oarfish

Reaction score
Is there a place in this forum that has like pictures of how people rig up their different flies and what not?

Being a beginner it would be great to actually see some pictures of how others are using two or three flies at a time. Unless this is some secret stuff that nobody wants to share :D

I have used two flies mainly so far and it's normally just some dry fly (sorry I don't know the names yet) and then some beadhead nymph that drops down a little further back from the dry and an indicator in front of the dry fly. I don't really know anything else about rigging them for different settings and such.
There’s a little book you should pick up for under 20 bucks called Fishing Tandem Flies written by Charles Meck, you will enjoy it.

Rick

newby

Reaction score
ahhhh I knew I was probably just missing something. That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so very much! :thmbup:
Ironcially for a week or two when I started fly fishing I couldn't understand how one might rig up two flies at all, couldn't figure out how one could get two on the same line spaced far enough apart to be effective. Then I found some people who showed me :).

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I fish 2 streamers, 2 wet flies, or a combination much of the time and the rig is so simple that there's no reason not to.

You make a loop2loop connection between the leader and tippet (perfection loop on the leader side, surgeons loop on the tippet) and simply keep the tag end of the tippet loop long.... 4-6 inches.
Done and done

T

turbineblade

I'll be the negative person here :).

I'm fairly new to fly fishing -- probably about 6 months out from where you are -- though my lord I've come a long way....especially with casting, which I've focused on very intensely.

I hate 2 fly rigs most of the time....and I especially hate the kind where you tied a blood knot (or whatever) and leave the tag extra long to attach the 2nd fly. If I run a 2-fly rig, I use this one and find it MUCH easier to fish --

“Seeing Double” | MidCurrent

Bookmark midcurrent while you're at it ;). I tie the 2nd fly to the bend of the hook of the first fly, keeping both in line. They won't tangle as easily this way and it's easier to cast IMO.

If you're new to fly fishing and casting I'd actually steer you away from 2 fly rigs because they're a pain in the ass to cast and I found it easier to focus on a 1-fly rig first. I'm glad I did this! When I do a 2-fly I tend to lob cast as first choice, and oval cast if I can't lob. I don't really enjoy fishing split shot, indicator rigs, 2-fly rigs but did have success with the system on the Elk River here in WV this October.....they definitely work well and should be used, but I'd focus on the basics first. Just me -- no one sue ;).

double dry

Reaction score
Check this out: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K5Cgd6_K9Q]Rigging for nymphing - YouTube[/ame]

Have a good day.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
One 'problem' I've had with the traditional droppers is the flies wrapping around the following leader. Only way I've come up with to defeat this is by scaling down the 'test' of each follow up bit. The way I do most of mine is to tie on the first fly (the largest/heaviest first and smaller/lighter as you go down the rig) and then tie the following one(s) off the eye of the upper hook. This makes the first/second hooks hang down like the letter "J."

Fish wants the fly there's no leader in the way as you'd have tyeing off from the bend of the hook.

tbblom

Reaction score
Some people find it strange, but I tie second and third flies off the eye, not the bend. I was getting plenty of rejections as the fish would come up and feel the tippet in the way. Off the eye seems to get this effect less. For double fly rigs sometimes just 5x to a dry with a long tag end left to tie the dropper. Two knots instead of three is better and more efficient IMO as the knots are the weak points.

I frequently step down tippet size from top to bottom, lots of snags around here. Better to lose one fly than all of them at once! I have not experimented much with extended dropper tags hanging off the main line. Just looks like a huge tangle waiting to happen. I generally just set the rig up linearly, and do pretty well.

Split shot or heavy beadheads will help you get to the right depth when nymphing difficult fish.

bigkais89

Reaction score
Some people find it strange, but I tie second and third flies off the eye, not the bend. I was getting plenty of rejections as the fish would come up and feel the tippet in the way. Off the eye seems to get this effect less. For double fly rigs sometimes just 5x to a dry with a long tag end left to tie the dropper. Two knots instead of three is better and more efficient IMO as the knots are the weak points.

I frequently step down tippet size from top to bottom, lots of snags around here. Better to lose one fly than all of them at once! I have not experimented much with extended dropper tags hanging off the main line. Just looks like a huge tangle waiting to happen. I generally just set the rig up linearly, and do pretty well.

Split shot or heavy beadheads will help you get to the right depth when nymphing difficult fish.
I use the same method. I too like leaving the long tag after the first fly. Less knot tying and a lil sneakier.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

newby

Reaction score
Those links I posted are good starting points, but depending on where you live and what water you fish is going to determine how you use the set-up.

I never fish with more than two flies because, for one, it is actually illegal in Arizona. I also would rather fish one dry fly effectively than worry about droppers and tag ends, etc.... when I should be focusing on currents and drifts.

On some waters, two flies makes a more effective rig. For instance, the San Juan river. I played around with single and two fly rigs because I wanted to see for myself if the attractor did anything, after all, most fish won't move very far to take a small little midge. But two flies was definitely more effective than one, the attractor aspect of an annelid or a second midge definitely draws attention from the fish.

I only use three methods to fish two flies: occasionally I will leave my tag end long on the first fly and attach a second. Most of the time with a hopper dropper I'll add a bit of tippet to the bend of the hook and tie a nymph, or very rarely, second dry fly off of that. And sometimes (I tried this on the San Juan) I will, as tbloom suggested, drop the second fly off of the eye of the first fly with a length of tippet, provided I am fishing fine enough tippet and a large enough first fly that it will fit smoothly.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I learned to fish multi-fly rigs when I was a kid.
How to tie the Dropper Loop
My grandfather would normally fish 3 winged wets and that's how I first learned to fly fish. It's a deadly but little used technique to this day.
While we used whippy wet fly action 9' cane rods back then, it's not at all difficult to cast a multi-fly rig.
You just need to forget everything that's been drilled into your head about tight loops and a fast line speed :D