Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Default Re: Rod Weight Versus Casting Distance

Just going back into old memory there are three basic things that 'govern' the length of a cast (I'll leave the fly out of this).

Rod length = longer the tip travel = higher generated line speed. Level hand on both the forward and back cast = level to the ground/water, not a 'cup shaped' rod tip travel.

And the last is the configuration of the line = DT vs a WF.

All single hander lines just take into account the first 30 feet for 'grain count' so a DT actually gets heavier as you get more line out the rod tip. A WF 'usually' won't but the thinner shooting line goes through the guides easier (thinner line profile).

All of that then flows to the ability of the caster.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

I fish mostly from shore and I most often find the cast distance limiting factor to be the terrain behind me. Usually the line hitting the ground on the back cast (or inability to even make a back cast, so I'm limited to a roll cast) is the reason casts have to be kept short.
    Also weather conditions can be a factor as a gust of wind can easily change the direction of a light line.
    I use rods from 6'6" to 11' but my favorites are in the 7'6" to 8'6" range. The 7'6" is usually enough to make casts that will cover the waters I fish and stepping up to 8' or 8'6" doesn't make for much of a casting distance increase, but isn't a handicap (as far as keeping the rod tip out of tree limbs) either.
    Mike

I am then to assume that a 1 wt and 7 wt will cast the same distance, all else being equal.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
    I am then to assume that a 1 wt and 7 wt will cast the same distance, all else being equal.

Dave
    Strongly doubt it; the extra grains in the 7wt will/should make it go further. Just for visual purposes, you've got a bait casting rod and a one oz sinker for a weight, then you shift 7 oz ...... I think you get the picture as to which will go further.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

David, I can cast my F&F 60'+ easy. That's with my eyes closed and using Sharkskin ( favorite line). And I'm a crappy caster. Just get used to the action.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Mojo...

How far would you expect to cast a F and F 1wt? 7' 9'

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Been cruising thru the Search feature and having trouble finding what I'm looking for. Thinking about picking up a ultra-light in the 7' length range and don't have a local fly shop with enough variety to do any testing. So to help shorten the search time was wondering if anyone can give some guidance on approximate casting distance for each of the ultra-light sizes.

Casting distance measured from your big toe...

Dave
    Mt two cents are; 1. there are too many variables to answer your question. 2. tip flexs will throw the same fly/line further than full flexes will. 3. rod quality,taper and recovery speed all add into the equation. If you want to bomb cats across a stream use a fast action six weight, many to choose from, buy used and get your moneys worth. If you want to throw further, go to a switch of spey set up, 95 - 100 ft cats are the, yawn, norm its the only way to fish in my book.
    There is nothing like Wild Trout ,Timber Rattlers and Cowboy coffee.

No way! Wind resistance is the main uncontrolable enemy of fly casts with identical loop and initial (edit) velocities.

What determines wind resistance is surface area by the formula pie times diameter.

The operative formula for weight is pie are square, even though cornbread are square and pie are round.

So volume, and consequently weight, increase much faster in larger diameter lines than the surface area subject to wind resistance.
    http://www.miterclamp.com/Images/N_Amer_FF.jpg Cheers, Jim

9. Likes dean_mt liked this post
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Dave
    Not even close. The heavier the rod, all else being equal, the farther the distance. The longer the rod, all else being equal, the farther the distance. Why do you think I want a 20 foot 11wt.?

P.S. I don't even own a rod smaller than 9' 5 wt.

On the light end of things - have a 1 wt 6' rod and a 7'6" 2 wt rod.

With the 1 wt, using 2 wt line, I can cast 50-60 ft assuming the wind cooperates.

I say I 'can' cast that far, but I almost never do. The streams I use this rod on are smaller, so I rarely use more than 30-40 ft., usually less.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast