Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Rod tube design

Default Rod tube design

Hey guys, just recently purchased a raft with a fishing frame and the one down side to a raft is there are no rod holders. I've got a pretty good idea for use with a peice of pipe, where I'm stuck is finding something that I can put inside of the pipe, to keep the rods from getting scraped up. Any ideas?

Default Re: Rod tube design

I am assuming you mean long piece of pipe that would hold the rods assembled? In that case I would go to a fabric store and get some nice soft material that wouldn't snag, and be thick enough to provide a nice buffer, then find a friend with a sowing machine to make a tube out of it for me. Then I'd slide it the whole way through the tube and kind of roll it over the ends to make a cloth lined tube.

Og course I may be way off the mark here......
    Homer

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

You can find pipe insulation the same place that you'd get the PVC for the rod holders

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Are you planning on PVC or metal pipe?

Scotty makes a GLUE ON MOUNT for attaching to pontoons, etc that will accept their rod holders.

If you have a frame, I'd go with Scotty holders and mounts. Just google up Scotty fishing.
    Just did it for you http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-e...od-holders.htm
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

What i did for my raft was a 4" pvc pipe then ripped a 1 1/2"gap down the length of it. On the underside where the pipe sits on my raft frame i slotted 2 holes so the buckle straps secure the pipe without interferring with the 1 1/2" gap to lay my rods in. At one end of the pipe 8" from end i slotted a cut on halfside of pipe and heated the pvc and bent it down to lay flat like a tray for reel to lay when attached to flyrod. Bought some 1/4" soft felt from Joannes fabric store and glued it in. All i need is a patent #...jk. Sorry no pics! But if you can picture this style through my description it works awesome and is easier than stuffing your rods through one end of the pipe.