Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  57
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ethics question

Default Re: Ethics question

Here's one study http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...xt=ncfwrustaff

Here's another http://www.flyfishinginmaine.org/assets/cnr_afs.pdf

To quote Ed Shenk "Know what your tackle will do, and then do it". If you feel like its wrong don't do it, if you're afraid of playing a fish to death on light tippet then you're not fighting them the right way, light tippets don't kill trout, poor angling does. Take in account the variables, water temp, flow, and the most important your ability as an angler.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

2. Likes jaybo41, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

If fishing tippet others would generally consider "undergunned" then the angler has the opportunity or responsibility, depending on your outlook, to just break the fish off if the fight starts stretching out.

If he plays the fish aggressively enough and knows how, then he'll either land it quickly or break it off....either way, everybody wins.

4. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Quote Originally Posted by theboz View Post
    That's why it's part pot stirrer part who knows?
    Attempts to divide into two groups under the guise of ethics is pot stirring. So it is part pot stirring and part pot stirring. Like the felt use in felt ban areas. Keeping fish in catch and release areas. Do those subjects ring a bell? :mad

Quote Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
    and the most important your ability as an angler.
    Absolutely. +1.

6. Likes theboz, cattech89 liked this post
  7. Default Re: Ethics question

I don't understand the issue. You didn't say it was catch and release only, so why not try for the biggest brute you can find and play him until you can get him in the net - or on shore. Kill the fish and be thankful for some fine food caught by your own hand.

In the early days of Nylon leaders, a 5x was 0.5lb test. In order to hook and land most large trout, you had to be skillful and play the fish until it was on its side, then you killed it quickly. Fish weren't windup toys, they were treated as a game animal, with respect; and killed and eaten with respect and thanks.
    Best regards,
    Reed

http://overmywaders.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by overmywaders View Post
    I don't understand the issue. You didn't say it was catch and release only, so why not try for the biggest brute you can find and play him until you can get him in the net - or on shore. Kill the fish and be thankful for some fine food caught by your own hand.

In the early days of Nylon leaders, a 5x was 0.5lb test. In order to hook and land most large trout, you had to be skillful and play the fish until it was on its side, then you killed it quickly. Fish weren't windup toys, they were treated as a game animal, with respect; and killed and eaten with respect and thanks.
    The only issue for me with your scenario is the chance of playing a fish to death and still losing it at the landing. Then you'd have a dead fish in the water and no dinner. Doesn't sound like you lost many...I don't like to eat em so much, so the release is always in my mind.

I & many others would go along with what Kerry has said.
    Maybe we could Land The Fish,maybe we might not ??? as said before it's the ability of The Angler
    Brian.

I guess I'm missing the point of this whole 'thinnest tippet' exercise.
    Why do people use such thin lines? Is it some kind of self-imposed handicap?
    Bragging rights?
    Do people feel they can land a fly more accurately with a thin tippet? Cast it further?
    Do you get more strikes with really thin line? Hook more fish?
    Something else?
    Help me here, please.

Pelican, tippet size is based on size of the fly. Typically I fish a #16 with 5x from 18 to 20 I go with 6x anything smaller and its down to the dreaded 7x. When fishing the small stuff the light tippet compliments the size of the fly and the spookiness of the fish.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

Quote Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
    Pelican, tippet size is based on size of the fly. Typically I fish a #16 with 5x from 18 to 20 I go with 6x anything smaller and its down to the dreaded 7x. When fishing the small stuff the light tippet compliments the size of the fly and the spookiness of the fish.
    So it's that you get better presentation?

Do the best that your skill and judgement will give you. But know this, there are always variables in anything you do. I'd do as best as my skill and judgement would allow me, then if things didn't go to my best expectations, I'd not be seeking therapy over it. When you play/work in the wild, there are no absolute guarantees.

There is one guarantee,,when you get emotions high on a message board you will get an argument. That's a negative thing. We are outdoor brothers, not a bunch'a politicians !

2 cents worth there.
    Mike

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast