Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: need help leader/tippet.

Unless the fly has CDC feathers on it, treat it first with a paste type floatant like Aquel and then use Frogs Fanny.

You can use Tiemco Dry Magic on CDC.

I would also suggest a 9 ft leader. It will give you less drag, and drag can sink a fly.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

2. Likes jaybo41 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    Unless the fly has CDC feathers on it, treat it first with a paste type floatant like Aquel and then use Frogs Fanny.

You can use Tiemco Dry Magic on CDC.

I would also suggest a 9 ft leader. It will give you less drag, and drag can sink a fly.
    Dry Magic is all I carry in terms of flotant these days. It's wonderful stuff. After a fly has seen a lot of casts or several fish, I recondition it with Agent X Dry Fly shake then add a little more Dry Magic when needed. A little goes a long way.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

You can use Frog's Fanny on CDC as well as Snowshoe Rabbit. I've never had any issues. I haven't tried Dry Magic though is it a desiccant too?
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

Dry Magic is a gel floatant. The carrier seems to evaporate with little residual.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Quote Originally Posted by angelo1987 View Post
    It don't happen when I arrived maybe after a hour or 2 it begins to happen maybe the line is getting submerged too much?
    My money is on a water logged fly. The tippet doesn't absorb water over time, but the fly does. Water can get absorbed into the dubbing through regular use, but especially if it smacks on the water hard or drags. Others mentioned desiccant. Get some and shake the fly in it once it starts sinking. If the fly floats again afterwards then you have your answer.

As I mentioned above, the quality of the fly can make a difference. I don't worry much about cheap nymphs and streamers, but if I buy dries I tend to avoid real cheap stuff. Whether its the hook used, the type of dubbing or quality of the hackle, I've found they start sinking more quickly than flies I tie with good hackle, thin dry fly dubbing, and on a light wire hook.
    - William

Quote Originally Posted by angelo1987 View Post
    Personally I only make 4 or 5 false casts usually that's enough.
    Here's the problem
    You really have to make some quick snaps to knock the excess water off the fly.
    Do it to the side so that your not "lining" the fish, then slow the cast right down to to make the final presentation.
    Like Silver said, a 7'6" leader doesn't cut it. You need a long leader. 9' minimum even with if you're fishing with short rod in a tight space
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12