Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Left-Handed casting

There's a chance I'll need right shoulder surgery soon. Not definite yet, but maybe.

I cast with my right hand. Thus the problem.

Has anyone made the switch from right-handed to left-handed casting, either temporarily or permanently?

If you have, can you pass along any tips/suggestions?

The obvious thing to do is just try it, but my casting pond is frozen and under 20" of snow right now.

Default Re: Left-Handed casting

My fishing partner switched after he hurt his shoulder. He told me that it wasn't that difficult to learn.
    I tried it and I think he was pulling my leg. ::
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

3. Likes Guest1, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Probably going to depend on the person. I can cast with my left, though not as well as with my right but I learned because sometimes you are in a place that requires it. If you are frozen up outside maybe think about buying one of those little practice rods/tool, sorry I don't know what you call them and try it inside until you get it right, then you should be ready for a good shot at it in the Spring. Good luck with that shoulder.
    Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.

5. Likes noreaster, mcnerney, fishiowa liked this post

I learned to cast with my left and it was not difficult. I can not cast as far with the left but well enough to do what I need. Go out and practice and you will pick it up in no time. Good luck with the right one.

The irony is you'll probably cast better, your right has had time to develop little bad habits (we all do). When you make the switch it will feel so awkward but you'll notice your form is better, at least with me any way.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

8. Likes lthrnk03 liked this post

So far I rarely have to cast with my off hand but I do practice doing so quite a bit 'just in case'!
    I'm not sure if there's a formal way to learn to cast off-handed but what I've been doing is getting a good false cast going normally and then transfer the rod, still false casting it, to the off hand all the while keeping the rythm going.
    Once I have that down it's play time and time to practice starting and presenting the cast and everything in between all with your off hand.
    Casting off-handed comes in handy in situations where you have to hug the bank on your normal casting side and in windy conditions to always be able to cast to keep the fly on your downwind side.

10. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I am on board with learning both hands. As others have said it can come in handy when circumstances call for it. I was actually thinking about this a while back, and made the promise to practice in the spring in the yard. I am sure, with a little practice it can be achieved. I would recommend that you start with your feet and weighting. If your rod is in the left hand put more of your weight on the right leg (70%). This will facilitate the hip and torso turn and give you more control and sensitivity.
    good luck
    "Whale oil beef hooked !"- Traditional east coast fishermen saying

Quote Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
    I am on board with learning both hands. As others have said it can come in handy when circumstances call for it. I was actually thinking about this a while back, and made the promise to practice in the spring in the yard. I am sure, with a little practice it can be achieved. I would recommend that you start with your feet and weighting. If your rod is in the left hand put more of your weight on the right leg (70%). This will facilitate the hip and torso turn and give you more control and sensitivity.
    good luck
    I'm thinking about how I shift my weight when I cast with my right hand, but over my left shoulder. It's pretty close to what you just said. That should work.

13. Likes noreaster liked this post

It may be time to think about a switch rod too.

15. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  16. Default Re: Left-Handed casting

I often went to a handball court and practiced throwing left-handed. Also, I wash all my dishes left-handed.

Randy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast