2013 Goals...

wt bash

Reaction score
In conjunction to Kelly Glissmeyer's Most Memorable thread, what are your goals in fly fishing or even life wise for this new year? How do you plan on pushing yourself or do you plan to take it easier?

My goal is to really get the spring creeks down. I know its a drum I've been knocking the hell out of lately but what can I say I'm hooked. I plan on spending a lot more time down there with hopes of finding a home or apartment in the area. I also plan on fishing, more importantly effectively fishing and making small diminutive cane rods and with high hopes to sell a few to fund the fishing side of things. So what's in store for you guys?

plecain

Reaction score
Carry out my threat to retire.
Fish some new rivers in NH and Maine. I've tended to stick with familiar places.
Fish some rivers in MA where I haven't fished in over 40 years.
Maybe even fly fish some lakes and ponds. I've not done that in 50 years.
Take more pictures.

Last edited:

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
Number one goal this year in terms of fishing is to get my little guy for the first time. By August, he will be 2. By september, I'm hoping he'll caught his first fish.

For me, I just want to continue to improve in my casting and to start really landing some bigger fish. It's general, but I fish for too many species in too many conditions to set goals this early.

trout sniper

Reaction score
I want to fish for trout more. I have been focusing on toothy guys for too long, but they are addicting.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I like these sort of posts
Believe it or not my goal, as it has been for the last few years, is to catch the state record pumpkinseed.
18 ounces at this point :D

dakotakid

Reaction score
1) improve my casting skills
2) catch my first carp on a fly
3) slam some smallmouth bass on the English River near Separation Lake Lodge in Ontario. Previously only used spinning gear on this trip.

jaybo41

Reaction score
I don't really set any specific fishing goals, though I do have a standing goal: Fish as much as possible and enjoy my time on the water.

I'm hoping to get out more than I did this past year.

Mr. Bash, what area are you considering a move to?

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I like these sort of posts
Believe it or not my goal, as it has been for the last few years, is to catch the state record pumpkinseed.
18 ounces at this point :D
It was a Pumpkinseed that got me startedon breaking records. I was fishing with a friend named Dale in a little lake about 2 1/2 hours South of here. I hooked a Pumpkinseed that dwarfed every other one of them I had ever seen. We weighed and measured it and then let it go, THEN I got curious as to what the record was. Mine would have shattered the State and all tackle world record. I try not to make that mistake anymore.

Mine is to get the rest of the tippet records for Walleye. It's not going to be as hard as it sounds. There are 2 that are going to be hard to do and only two that are really hard to do, but not a single record that is unbustable. And bustable right here. I didn't even start trying to bust them till 2008 and already broke 8 of them. Only 7 still stand and that is another knot headed story. I looked at the book wrong and broke one of my own records. :teef:

latshki

Reaction score
1; Land my first fresh salmon
2; Land my first brown trout
3; Land a trout over 24"
4: Land a striped bass
5; Get footage of all of it
6; Get my grandfather out and into some fish
7; Teach my mom to fly fish
8; Have most of my flies tied before spring

bigshayne

Reaction score
Often, when i get out by myself, my mind completely focuses on the fish. I want to change my perspective this year on the water. I want to spend more time focused on the outside beauty around me while fishing. I want to spend time opening myself spiritually and allowing my time on the water to better myself.

And fish as much as possible!!!

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
5; Get footage of all of it
You need to find a friend like mine. Bill likes taking video and does a really good job of it. He is really easy to get to go fishing. He has even been willing to go into the water in his street shoes all to get a shot, and once to get my wallet because I had a big fish hung up and was just about to go swim for it. He even shot some Bigfoot footage......:eek::teef::D

Inside joke.

latshki

Reaction score
I got a contour HD for xmas so I'm going to try to keep it with me at all times, ruined to many cameras this year so it should be worth the money just in that sense of not having to worry about it getting wet

fyshstykr

Reaction score
To do a bunch of overnight trips into the canyon section of the South Fork of The Snake River, been planning to do this for a while but just can't seem to get it done. This will be the year!

And....to make it up to The Missouri for a taste of that dry action.:)

williamhj

Reaction score
Life is buying a house and having a second baby in February, not so much goals as things that are happening! That means likely less time on the river overall. But some fishing goals include - fishing with my 2 year old on my back, connected with that is learning to Tenkara fish (easy to transport and use with her on my back), becoming a better caster and fly tier, and getting my good friend out to Colorado for a nice long weekend camping/fishing trip.

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Ongoing projects:
1.) Fish in every county in Kansas.
2.) Catch as many freshwater species as possible.
3.) Fly Fish in every state--probably won't add any new ones this year, though.

This year:

3.) Improve my casting--last year it was learning to double haul. I plan to add some additional casts and work on my general basics and form.

4.) Carp and/or buffalo in pursuit of #2

Kerry Pitt

Reaction score
To fish more with my Son, wish my Daughters still fished. I will be fishing alone a lot more so I want to hit some streams I have not been on in some time. More time in the mountains chasing Cutts. Hoping for some fishing in Cozumel as well.

wt bash

Reaction score
Mr. Bash, what area are you considering a move to?
Anywhere between Potter and Tioga Counties, South all the way to the border of Maryland. The center of Pennsylvania is chock full of trout water and some of the most beautiful country East of the Mississippi. You can cherry pick the entire region via 81 and hit some famous, some unheard of, and some pristine wild trout waters all in the same time span it takes me to drive to mediocre trout water in Ohio.