Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: New Old Magazines

Default New Old Magazines

The post lady just delivered a HUGE box of old fly fishing magazines that were graciously sent to me from Piscatorial_PHD. Tucked between protective cardboard was a mint Fly Fisherman, Volume 1 Number 2, dated August 1969...

Thank you Todd, may the silver sirens feast upon your offerings!

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

2. Likes theboz, mcnerney, jpbfly liked this post
  3. Default Re: New Old Magazines

Ohh neat! What kind of articles did they have back then?

Default Re: New Old Magazines

Grayling fishing in Alaska and the water was black with them and the most interesting was taking a caddis pupae case, threading it on a hook then stuffing it with glue and filler. Don't know what to think about that...

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

5. Likes mcnerney liked this post

That's awesome ! I like every once in a while getting out some of the old magazines I have saved and seeing how much things have changed and bringing back memories! Enjoy I'm sure you'll have some good reading!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Quote Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
    the most interesting was taking a caddis pupae case, threading it on a hook then stuffing it with glue and filler. Dave
    There's a pattern where you tie a fake case then roll it in glue and then roll it sand. That way sounds easier. Sounds fair to me. I'll bet it's easier to tie the fake one than root around looking for the real thing.

What I liked most about the old magazines is the authors
    The articles were written by some of legends.
    Dr. Schwiebert, Mark Solsin, Charles Brooks, Gary La Fontaine, Charles Waterman, Joe Humphreys, Fran Betters, Art Lee, Art Flick, Dan Blanton, Dave Whitlock, John Goddard (who recently passed away) Chico, Lefty,...Jimmy Carter even contributed a couple. Don Zahner, the original editor and publisher of Fly Fisherman, wrote an always entertaining column
    The advertizements are fun to look at too.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

9. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Dave: What a great gift from Todd, you are indeed blessed this week, congrats!

Larry
    Larry