Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Steelhead Rod

Default Steelhead Rod

Not sure if I am posting this in the correct area but, it is a noob question.

I was given a Cabela's XMLseries XCST1004-2 casting rod. The specs are: 10ft, line 8-15lbs, lure 3/8-1oz. I assume this rod is used for steelhead.

My question is why the length and action for steelhead and are there any other applicatons that this rod can be used. I live on the gulfcoast.

Default Re: Steelhead Rod

This rod would serve well for steelhead as well as kings and coho.

The length in this brings you a couple advatages

If you are fishing harbors on the great lakes for kings when they come in to "spawn" then it allows you to cast light crankbaits a very very far distance. This gives your lure more time in the strike zone and allows you to cover more water.

The length can also help you absorb some blistering fast and very hard runs that these fish can provide when they are in open water.

In the creeks and river, this would be a good rod to use for float fishing as the length allows you mend line well and keep as much line off the water as possible giving you the best chance at a drag free drift...that's right boys and girl...mending and drag free drifts aren't just for us fly guys.
    Less likey, more green dots
    BrookFieldAngler.com

Quote Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
    This rod would serve well for steelhead as well as kings and coho.

The length in this brings you a couple advatages

If you are fishing harbors on the great lakes for kings when they come in to "spawn" then it allows you to cast light crankbaits a very very far distance. This gives your lure more time in the strike zone and allows you to cover more water.

The length can also help you absorb some blistering fast and very hard runs that these fish can provide when they are in open water.

In the creeks and river, this would be a good rod to use for float fishing as the length allows you mend line well and keep as much line off the water as possible giving you the best chance at a drag free drift...that's right boys and girl...mending and drag free drifts aren't just for us fly guys.
    Thanks bro. When I mentioned given, these items were inherited. He had a Shimano Cardiff 300 and I think it was paired with this 10ft rod. Does that sound right or make sense?

Thanks!

Sounds like you have a spinning rod there! In that case a Shimano spinning reel would match up nice. May have some trouble castng a fly unless you use s bubble to suspend it under.

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

Probably make a good flounder and trout rod using 1/8 oz jigs.
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Quote Originally Posted by theboz View Post
    Sounds like you have a spinning rod there! In that case a Shimano spinning reel would match up nice. May have some trouble castng a fly unless you use s bubble to suspend it under.

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

Probably make a good flounder and trout rod using 1/8 oz jigs.
    It is definitely a casting rod, this I know.

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Pics.

Yep ! Nice looking stick! Good for flounder and sea trout no doubt. No flys though.
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser