Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Socks

Default Socks

I fished the Trinity River last week. My feet were cold all day, even with what I thought were warm socks. I would like to hear recommendations for warm socks.

Default Re: Socks

Generally I wear a pair of thin, wicking liner socks and a pair of wool socks on top of those. I very rarely have to deal with cold feet.

I really like wigwam brand merino wool socks. I wear them for hiking and also have thicker ones that I wear during the winter (also while wading in freezing water) and they are great. In 32 degree water I can feel a slight chill after a while but definitely not cold. I only wear the socks by themselves too since I wear the same boots I wear in the winter, if you winter boots are larger than your summer boots you could add a liner as well which will help keep in the warmth. You just don't want them to be to tight, that is probably the biggest cause of cold feer.

Cotton kills.

That old saying is true and should be followed with all winter activities. I like wool. Its nice but not fun if it gets wet, but nothing is fun to wear wet in the cold.
    Troy

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

5. Likes jaybo41 liked this post

Liner socks yes, and the only way to go in my opinion is a thick pair of wool blend knicker socks. They go all the way up to your knees and that makes a huge difference. They aren't cheap, a good pair will be near $30.00 but for warm feet and legs...

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

7. Likes oarfish liked this post
    Blog Entries

My go to winter sock setup:

I use a thin pair of wool socks that are marketed as "snowboarding" or skiing. Then wear a thick pair of wool socks over that. Both of these hit me just below the knee.

This is similar to what I'm using as a liner.

SmartWool PhD Snowboard Light Socks - Men's at REI.com

I wear these over the liners and these are my go to socks for winter fishing.

SmartWool Mountaineer Socks at REI.com

Those foot warmers that stick on to the bottom of your socks help, but they come off and move around a bit.

The tricks to staying warm in the winter are wear anything but cotton, keep moving and hopefully your boots are sized up one size larger. Don't pull the laces as tight either.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
    Liner socks yes, and the only way to go in my opinion is a thick pair of wool blend knicker socks. They go all the way up to your knees and that makes a huge difference. They aren't cheap, a good pair will be near $30.00 but for warm feet and legs, that's cheap.

Dave
    Hey Dave, can you call Smart Wool for me and see if they have any of last year's model of the snowboarder socks in black? Size 11 please
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

9. Likes dean_mt, littledavid123 liked this post

I got these when I bought my waders/boots for wading here in CO - Simms Fishing Products : : ExStream™ Socks

Super thick wool socks, I will probably carry my thinner snowboading socks with me as a liner sock on colder days.

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

OK, here's my take on it. If you are going to fish in cold cold water, wear stuff designed for cold cold water. I have been out in the Spring dodging chunks of the ice breaking up. (As soon as I find the photo I will post it.) I have been in the river in the Fall while the shore line froze up behind me. All of this with one thin pair of cotton socks. I also wear Neoprene Waders that have thinsulate insulated boots. I never had cold feet a single time. A pair of neoprenes are not that expensive. I think I got mine for under $125.oo and when they die, I will get another pair just like them.

Blog Entries

It's that mustache that keeps you warm Dan! C'mon, you can admit it!
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

Sounds like I did everything right. I'm thinking it's because I'm getting old and the circulation is not as good as it once was.
    I was in a boat and not moving my lower body, but neither were the other two guys and their feet were not as cold as mine.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast