Weights?

alligator

Reaction score
A friend of mine, who teaches and guides, has convinced me that I must stop using lead weights for obvious environmental reasons.

But I still want to get my flies down, I still want a material that's easy to use, I wouldn't mind a good dispenser, and I'm always ready to pay for stuff that really works.

By the way, if the seller provided good weight charts, that would be great. I think a "BB" equals 4 grams, but are there standards on weights?

Recommendations? Comments?

nrp5087

Reaction score
What are the environmental factors that you are worried about? Not trying to be a smart ass just genuinely curious. I know lead is virtually insoluble in H20 the only thing i could think of is fish eating the shot?

williamhj

Reaction score
The question of whether lead is good or bad aside, if you want to avoid using it for weight, here are some options. I've linked to products sold by one of the forum sponsors.

If you're looking to add weight to your line there's tin split shot as well as tungsten sink putty. I like the sink putty personally. If you tie your own flies, there are brass and tungsten beads as well as lead-free wire for wrapping on the hook shank.

Hope that helps.

jsquires

Reaction score
I think the problem is the cumulative effect. Canada estimates 500 tons of lost or discarded lead is deposited in its waters every year. Can be tough on plants, birds - and the animals that eat them. I'm not an expert; that's just what I have read.
I like tungsten beads.

rccola712

Reaction score
Since I've started tying my own flies I can't remember the last time I used lead or split shot, just tie on a bead head or a heavy nymph!

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
..... the only thing i could think of is fish eating the shot?
Actually it's birds eating the shot. They eat it like they do small gravel for their gizzard.

Another idea is to use Ard's chunk of T-whatever with loops on the ends inline in the leader. I made a couple of them up and they work really well. It also has the benefit of not ever coming off unless you loose the whole leader. Even then it's not lead and not gravel like so the bird's will be fine.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Canada estimates 500 tons of lost or discarded lead is deposited in its waters every year.
We did a study here and I think it illustrates the problem with that number. We asked if anyone lost ANYTHING in the water while fishing. Right away they started answering with lines like "No, but I got something back". It was surprising the amount of stuff that is lost and then recovered. The majority of lead that was lost here was inline weights used in drifting spinner rigs. When they are lost the spinner rig remains attached to the lead. People drifting hook them and they are retrieved very often. Based on what they say about 500 tons, I would bet that half is recovered. I still have all the raw data for that study and should work something up. Furthermore, I seriously doubt that a very large percentage of it is shot and that is the problem lead, but again mostly in being lost shallow where birds get it. There is also in the 500 ton estimate a lot of water they downrig in. It does take a lot of 8lbdownrigger balls to make a pretty fair chunk in that 500 tons. I would be seriously scared of the bird that wants that for it's gizzard. :D

On a side note, you would be surprised the number of cell phones that go in the drink every year.

Last edited:

chauncey

Reaction score
In dynamic nymphing, Daniel says that he rarely uses split shot and instead uses heavier weighted nymphs or a multi nymph setup to achieve the presentation he wants. If necessary he will use split shot but its kind of a last resort and typically only size 4 and 6 tungsten.

O

okuma

Tungsten is the only metal from the third transition series that is known to occur in biomolecules, where it is used in a few species of bacteria and archaea. It is the heaviest element known to be used by any living organism. Tungsten interferes with molybdenum and copper metabolism, and is somewhat toxic to animal life...

Tin poisoning refers to the toxic effects of tin and its compounds. Cases of poisoning from tin metal, its oxides, and its salts are "almost unknown"; on the other hand certain organotin compounds are almost as toxic as cyanide...

Lead is a highly poisonous metal (regardless if inhaled or swallowed), affecting almost every organ and system in the body. The main target for lead toxicity is the nervous system, both in adults and children. Long-term exposure of adults can result in decreased performance in some tests that measure functions of the nervous system

Metallic founds I found of interest

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Lead is a highly poisonous metal (regardless if inhaled or swallowed), affecting almost every organ and system in the body. The main target for lead toxicity is the nervous system, both in adults and children. Long-term exposure of adults can result in decreased performance in some tests that measure functions of the nervous system

Metallic founds I found of interest
Understatement for the day.:worthy: Can't remember the date, but any home built before xyz was a strong candidate for the use of a lead based paint. Before you could make a home loan (FHA/VA for sure) was a 'paint inspection.' Found lead based ... it ALL HAD TO GO. Expensive procedure to say the least.

Lead removal was the driving force behind the Petrol we fill our tanks today.

drc

Reaction score
I have strip weights. You twist them on and give them a good clamp with the hemostats and it'll never come off. The dispenser is nice two.

ditz

Reaction score
Tin is not healthy either. I don't know about titanium but I suspect it is not good either. I remember back in the 60's when this health stuff started in earnest that womens lipstick was found to cause cancer. Of course one had to eat 15 tubes a day before it was a problem. Lead is also a problem. I am sure that there is far more lead released into the great outdoors with guns than is created by the fly fisherman. God, don't let the gun law police hear that!!!! In the last 5years of fishing I am sure that I have lost far less lead than is in one box of .22 cal rounds. Come on fellas lets discuss something that is significant.:eek:

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Here is an article that mentions the Canada finding, on page 7.
http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/00037/wdfw00037.pdf.

I like to hear both sides of a story, so I have made no judgments; just passing along the article.

Remember when that came out in 2006; major blow up in the sports fishing community. Ban lead (weight) and replace with what? There was no (is there now?) reasonable substitute save for tying rocks onto your line. The suggestion was quietly put to rest.

alligator

Reaction score
Whatever individual fishermen decide, I hope few of us think the health of streams and wild life isn't important. But like any thread, those who aren't interested don't have to follow it.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Whatever individual fishermen decide, I hope few of us think the health of streams and wild life isn't important. But like any thread, those who aren't interested don't have to follow it.
I don't think that you'll find many people here who aren't interested or don't care.
It's more like what we do as fly fishermen is not a significant part of the problem