From the front page of Yahoo....

lthrnk03

Reaction score
You can't fix stupid..... If it had pulled him in the water, they call that natural selection.

mrfzx

Reaction score
What a load of horse----! The video caption makes it seem almost unitentional, but he was clearly baiting the fish. If you notice the fish leaves go of his "bait" arm, (he must have tasted like his I.Q.....bland and dull) and he hoists the fish onto the dock with the gill-ripping arm. He should have been arrested for cruelty to animals! Thank God for the "speaker disable" button on my computer!

noreaster

Reaction score
What a load of horse----! The video caption makes it seem almost unitentional, but he was clearly baiting the fish. If you notice the fish leaves go of his "bait" arm, (he must have tasted like his I.Q.....bland and dull) and he hoists the fish onto the dock with the gill-ripping arm. He should have been arrested for cruelty to animals! Thank God for the "speaker disable" button on my computer!
You're right, that was harassment of wild life. Probably damaged the gills and killed the fish.
Fine him for illegal fishing too!:rolleyes:

lightline

Reaction score
Ok, the guy's an idiot because he didn't pull back in time, and panicked when the tarpon tried to eat his arm. However, This place, Robbies, is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the upper Florida Keys. If you've been to the Islamorada area or driven by, you've stopped at Robbies, probably more than once. Anyplace you have masses of dumb-ass tourists, you have dumb-ass moves. (Boat ramps, lakes, and rivers included--we've all seen 'em or been 'em!)

This is another example of what happens when you "feed the bears." In this case, tarpon. They live there year-round and are hand-fed many times a day. Kinda like some "fish feeding stations" you see in these parts around dams, river overlooks, and even hatcheries. Although the tarpon are free to come and go, they aren't going anywhere when the food is free and the livin' is easy! They've become conditioned to eating from the hands of man.

When they are mishandled, employees advise visitors (who PAY for chum to feed these things, by the way) to be more careful. Overall, its not really harmful, although it gives the tarpon a bad name because true, "wild" tarpon DO NOT behave this easily, and are quite wary. But you can make any wary animal into a robotic loser by interfering with its natural environment. There are flats and channels within a mile of this place where the tarpon are spooky, moody, and a real challenge to fish for and catch.

I have fed these tarpon. Its kinda interesting. I've had one grab my hand right along with the food. More interesting. I was careful not to have my arm inhaled, as happened here. People have been pulled right off that dock though. Its just what it is, a tarpon feeding/petting zoo.

And yes, its illegal to remove one from the water in Florida unless you have an expensive "harvest" tag.

wtl

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see the big deal one way or another. They are essentially pets, and one of the pets bit the hand that feeds. I don't think the guy doing the feeding should be up for a Darwin award, its just a mildly interesting film clip for some family vacation.

maccadon3000

Reaction score
I've been to Robbie's also and the back story is a fish was hurt by a propeller, left for a season and came back with friends. And while many people let them bite their hands , the problem with this Neanderthal is he is obviously trying to show he is strong enough to wrestle a tarpon. His "feat of strength" probably killed the fish by ramming his other arm through the gill plate to drag it onto the dock. That's the problem with this idiot

wtl

Reaction score
I guess I missed that on the video. It looked as though the tarpon had his fist and he couldn't get the fist out, at least thats what I thought I was seeing.

On second look, yeah, he is wrestling the fish and yeah, it probably killed it. Thats a real shame.