Bottom bouncing set up

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
Anyone have a good illustration of how to rig this up?

Assuming that I am only using 1 fly, I am a bit hazy on how and where you attach the actual fly. Or do you somehow tie in a short piece of line that branches off the main leader?

I know where the weight attaches, just need help on the fly part.

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
Are you talking chuck & duck?

If not, just crimp a shot on your leader 12" - 18" up from your fly. You could rig a dropper by using a small swivel and have the shot on a short piece of mono if you are fishing in very snaggy rocks, but if not, just crimping a shot on your line above the fly should be fine.

If you are talking chuck & duck

Chuck and Duck Explained

jaybo41

Reaction score
I know there are different methods of doing this and you'll undoubtedly get some good suggestions from the pros. I don't do anything different than I normally would for fly placement. I just make sure I've got enough shot to get me to the bottom. A fly on the end of the leader and one tied off the shank as a trailer if you like & assuming it's within regulations. Pretty much like "the clincher" illustration.

“Seeing Double” | MidCurrent

What do I change from dead drifting is cut down on the slack in my line.

Last edited:

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
Not quite chuck and duck...at least not what I am thinking of...but it could be.

The way I seem to understand it is that the weight is placed below the fly.

This is probably the closest illustration I have found, but I am not sure its any different than just putting a split shot a foot or above the fly.

Defintely not the seeing double thing either - in Indiana, 2 fly rigs are a no no on the GL tributaries.

theboz

Reaction score
That setup looks legal. A separate weight leader would be a no no at least in the NY tribs . Personally a heavier nymph works for me most of the time without additional split shot.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Just out of curiousity, where did you hear the term at? It's a common term here but does not apply to fly fishing. Except as one site saying you need to put a 2 or 3 ounce bottom bouncer in the leader and troll for Walleye. Not flyfishing even if it's on a fly rod.

Last edited:

long bow

Reaction score
You can also leave a foot or so "tag" left over when building your leader/tippet and tie the fly on there. I can't remember if there is an additional knot or loop here when making it, I use it only on a few rivers. And those rivers it's during the summer. And we are floating. And the weather is nice. And I'm not the one driving home so somehow I make that set up work ;)

theboz

Reaction score
Just out of curiousity, where did you hear the term at? It's a common term here but does not apply to fly fishing.
Haha! Here to! In SW it refers to a 2 to 12oz sinker with a spreader rig and multiple bait hooks. On LI all winter flounder fisherman are members of the " Bottom Bouncers" club!

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

You can also leave a foot or so "tag" left over when building your leader/tippet and tie the fly on there. I can't remember if there is an additional knot or loop here when making it, I use it only on a few rivers. And those rivers it's during the summer. And we are floating. And the weather is nice. And I'm not the one driving home so somehow I make that set up work ;)
In the GL tribs of NY that would be illegal. Can't have the weight below the fly here.

long bow

Reaction score
In the GL tribs of NY that would be illegal. Can't have the weight below the fly here.
Sorry, didn't know it was a question specific to an area with the question of how do you rig one up. I was just going off the main post of "Or do you somehow tie in a short piece of line that branches off the main leader?" Definitely not advocating for an illegal set up!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score

theboz

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't know it was a question specific to an area with the question of how do you rig one up. I was just going off the main post of "Or do you somehow tie in a short piece of line that branches off the main leader?" Definitely not advocating for an illegal set up!
No apology necessary. And I know you were not advocating anything illegal. I use that setup myself under diffrent circumstances for a multiple fly rig. Just stating a fact GL Trib specific.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Here's a video showing how to set up and fish the "Bounce Rig". Yes, there is a technique involved with fly fishing that uses something called a "Bounce Rig". I guide on the river where this video was made, the rig and technique are used very often with novice fisherman on a guide trip. It's a deadly set up on the Provo River.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ0hvZX2Uf0]Provo River "Bounce" Technique - YouTube[/ame]

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, there is a technique involved with fly fishing that uses something called a "Bounce Rig".
close to the name Bottom Bouncing set up. Here is the one the site I mentioned talked about putting in your leader and trolling. Other than what that one site thinks, bottom bouncing as the way he titled it is not fly fishing. But maybe he meant bounce rig. brookfieldangler, did you mean Bounce rig?

He's got a ton of lead on that rig by the way. He's chuck and duck fishing without the bother of making a slinky.

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
close to the name Bottom Bouncing set up. Here is the one the site I mentioned talked about putting in your leader and trolling. Other than what that one site thinks, bottom bouncing as the way he titled it is not fly fishing. But maybe he meant bounce rig. brookfieldangler, did you mean Bounce rig?

He's got a ton of lead on that rig by the way. He's chuck and duck fishing without the bother of making a slinky.

It could have been...

Again, I only really heard this in vauge mentioning and perhaps I wasn't exactly clear but I swear I read somewhere that somebody took the spinning method and pretty much adapted it to fly fishing.

I'll have to do some research as to where I found it

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
but I swear I read somewhere that somebody took the spinning method and pretty much adapted it to fly fishing.
Yah, that's what I thought. This came up on here a couple of years ago. The way it was mentioned is rigged like this. Short heavy leader, like 3' from the fly line to the bend in the bottom bouncer. A longer, like 6' line from the end without the weight and then the fly. You let line out trolling till you can tap the bottom with the bottom bouncer. Everytime you tap the bottom raise the tip a tad so you don't drag the bottom. This is just to get your fly just off the bottom. You can't cast this rig. It is strictly for trolling. You don't need a fly rod for this at all so I don't see adding a fly rod to this as fly fishing.

They way they do what fysh showed here is instead of just a pile of lead on the end with a knot to keep them from slipping off, you take parachute cord and cut a piece just bigger than the lead will be by about 3/4" or so. Better big than to small. Pull the center filler out. Take a lighter and melt then crush the still hot end flat with needle nose pliers. Fill it with split shot and repeat the melting with the other end, except as a variation you can melt a barrel swivel into the end. If you opt to not use the swivel, just crush the molten end down and melt a hole in it for attaching the line. Other than that it's exactly how fysh showed it. A lot of the guys doing chuck and duck take the fly line clean off and just spool the reel with mono. You're not really fly casting this way, just chuck 'n duck. Technically you can do this on a spinning rod as well. Oh, and by here I mean the North Shore of Lake Superior's rivers like the Knife and Sucker etc..

By the way, if you are going to do what fish showed you really ought to use the slinky weight like I mentioned. Birds won't eat them but they will eat the tons of lead you lose his way.