Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bottom bouncing set up

Anyone have a good illustration of how to rig this up?

Assuming that I am only using 1 fly, I am a bit hazy on how and where you attach the actual fly. Or do you somehow tie in a short piece of line that branches off the main leader?

I know where the weight attaches, just need help on the fly part.
    Less likey, more green dots
    BrookFieldAngler.com

Default Re: Bottom bouncing set up

Are you talking chuck & duck?

If not, just crimp a shot on your leader 12" - 18" up from your fly. You could rig a dropper by using a small swivel and have the shot on a short piece of mono if you are fishing in very snaggy rocks, but if not, just crimping a shot on your line above the fly should be fine.

If you are talking chuck & duck

Chuck and Duck Explained

3. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

I know there are different methods of doing this and you'll undoubtedly get some good suggestions from the pros. I don't do anything different than I normally would for fly placement. I just make sure I've got enough shot to get me to the bottom. A fly on the end of the leader and one tied off the shank as a trailer if you like & assuming it's within regulations. Pretty much like "the clincher" illustration.

“Seeing Double” | MidCurrent

What do I change from dead drifting is cut down on the slack in my line.
    Last edited by jaybo41; 01-17-2013 at 04:25 PM.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

Not quite chuck and duck...at least not what I am thinking of...but it could be.

The way I seem to understand it is that the weight is placed below the fly.

This is probably the closest illustration I have found, but I am not sure its any different than just putting a split shot a foot or above the fly.

Defintely not the seeing double thing either - in Indiana, 2 fly rigs are a no no on the GL tributaries.
    Less likey, more green dots
    BrookFieldAngler.com

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post

That setup looks legal. A separate weight leader would be a no no at least in the NY tribs . Personally a heavier nymph works for me most of the time without additional split shot.
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

8. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Just out of curiousity, where did you hear the term at? It's a common term here but does not apply to fly fishing. Except as one site saying you need to put a 2 or 3 ounce bottom bouncer in the leader and troll for Walleye. Not flyfishing even if it's on a fly rod.
    Last edited by Guest1; 01-17-2013 at 04:49 PM.

You can also leave a foot or so "tag" left over when building your leader/tippet and tie the fly on there. I can't remember if there is an additional knot or loop here when making it, I use it only on a few rivers. And those rivers it's during the summer. And we are floating. And the weather is nice. And I'm not the one driving home so somehow I make that set up work

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    Just out of curiousity, where did you hear the term at? It's a common term here but does not apply to fly fishing.
    Haha! Here to! In SW it refers to a 2 to 12oz sinker with a spreader rig and multiple bait hooks. On LI all winter flounder fisherman are members of the " Bottom Bouncers" club!

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by long bow View Post
    You can also leave a foot or so "tag" left over when building your leader/tippet and tie the fly on there. I can't remember if there is an additional knot or loop here when making it, I use it only on a few rivers. And those rivers it's during the summer. And we are floating. And the weather is nice. And I'm not the one driving home so somehow I make that set up work
    In the GL tribs of NY that would be illegal. Can't have the weight below the fly here.
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Quote Originally Posted by theboz View Post
    In the GL tribs of NY that would be illegal. Can't have the weight below the fly here.
    Sorry, didn't know it was a question specific to an area with the question of how do you rig one up. I was just going off the main post of "Or do you somehow tie in a short piece of line that branches off the main leader?" Definitely not advocating for an illegal set up!

Blog Entries

Here is a good article on how to configure a double nymph rig, not exactly what you are asking for, but take a look anyway, it will work just fine for a single nymph, pay attention to the diagram on the upper right and his drawing on what to look for on the indicator and how/when to adjust the weight.
    AmericanFlyFishing.com - The Journal: Sage fly rods, Simms waders, Abel reels, Rio fly lines, Nymph fishing, fly fishing, strike indicator fishing
    Larry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast