Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Albino Rainbow

Default Albino Rainbow

Recently caught this beauty on the Guadalupe river. Couple of pic's and then one with it swimming away.

2. Likes mcnerney, thewalker1013 liked this post

Default Re: Albino Rainbow

looks like a golden rainbow they stock them here in Pa. its a cross between the real golden rainbow and a rainbow trout
    sandfly/ bob
    (www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com)
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing Gillie..

Nevermind google answered my question

Blog Entries

Pretty cool looking, congrats!

We have Goldens in the Winds, but they have alot more red coloring.
    Larry

6. Default Re: Albino Rainbow

Quote Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
    its a cross between the real golden rainbow and a rainbow trout
    No, it's not.

PFBC Question and Answer - Golden Rainbow Trout

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Pretty cool looking, congrats!

We have Goldens in the Winds, but they have alot more red coloring.
    Is what people are calling a Golden, just an albino or is it a true species of rainbow? GRTU stocks three times a year and gets the fish from a place in MO., and each time it will have 1-3 of these in the mix of 4,000 lbs. of fish. I call them albino's for lack of any other knowledge and think they just have a gene missing.

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Poke 'Em View Post
    You posted this while I was typing my last post. Thanks for the information. After reading the explantaion I'm still confused what it truly is. We do call them palamino's here and perhaps that's the true name for this fish?lol

Whatever it is I feel extremely lucky to have had the opportunity to do battle with it. Hope it lived to excite someone else. Don't expect to ever catch another.

It is a cool looking fish no matter what. I like distinctice fish.
    The take is the premier moment.

Mr. P.'s Blog

Poke'Em, "The golden rainbow trout originated from a single rainbow trout that was spawned in the fall of 1954 in West Virginia. This trout's body color was a chimera of golden and normally pigmented tissue. When this fish was crossed with a normally pigmented rainbow trout, the offspring (what we have come to refer to as palomino rainbow trout) were lighter in color." Taken from you link, I think that's exactly what Sandfly had said. That fish spawned in WV was the real golden rainbow.

Here's another link with more explanation. http://www.yorkccd.org/wordpress/wp-...nbow-Trout.pdf

Larry we're talking two totally different species, one entirely man made the other a true wild fish native to California and since introduced to many high country lakes throught the western states.

Osok, its just a rainbow with a manipulated coloration.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

10. Likes fredaevans, watson liked this post
  11. Default Re: Albino Rainbow

I am going to say Palomino. It does not have the red eyes and Albinos are white with no gold to them.

PALOMINO:

ALBINO

12. Default Re: Albino Rainbow

Quote Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
    Poke'Em, "The golden rainbow trout originated from a single rainbow trout that was spawned in the fall of 1954 in West Virginia. This trout's body color was a chimera of golden and normally pigmented tissue. When this fish was crossed with a normally pigmented rainbow trout, the offspring (what we have come to refer to as palomino rainbow trout) were lighter in color." Taken from you link, I think that's exactly what Sandfly had said. That fish spawned in WV was the real golden rainbow.

Here's another link with more explanation. http://www.yorkccd.org/wordpress/wp-...nbow-Trout.pdf

Larry we're talking two totally different species, one entirely man made the other a true wild fish native to California and since introduced to many high country lakes throught the western states.

Osok, its just a rainbow with a manipulated coloration.
    Maybe I misunderstood him. I thought he was saying it was a cross between a rainbow (o. mykiss hatcherius) and a golden trout (o. mykiss aguabonita) which is technically a subspecies of rainbow trout. That is not what that fish is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast