Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default Reel recomendation

Hello all, Nice site. What reels, American or British, would you recomend in 4w in the $50-$150 range? Thanks alot.

Default Re: Reel recomendation

Lamson Konic
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

3. Default Re: Reel recomendation

Okuma Sierra. Best reel for the money. About $35
    All Means All

4. Default Re: Reel recomendation

Aren't Okuma's made in china ?

5. Default Re: Reel recomendation

China, Japan, England, Germany, good ol' USA. It doesn't matter. The fish can't read the fine print on the reel. Now if you're worried about putting one of your countrymen out of business try to find one made here in the USA. I tried the other day. Did not find one made in the USA. Everyone was foreign, mostly China. Scary ain't it. Of course here in Oklahoma one does not always have a wide selection. All my stuff is old and made locally. The fish don't care, but I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lang View Post
    China, Japan, England, Germany, good ol' USA. It doesn't matter. The fish can't read the fine print on the reel. Now if you're worried about putting one of your countrymen out of business try to find one made here in the USA. I tried the other day. Did not find one made in the USA. Everyone was foreign, mostly China. Scary ain't it. Of course here in Oklahoma one does not always have a wide selection. All my stuff is old and made locally. The fish don't care, but I do.
    Then you didn't look hard enough- Ross, Lamson/Waterworks, Tibor, Able, Charlston, Galvan, Bauer to name a few are all made in the U.S.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

7. Default Re: Reel recomendation

I have an STH reel that I paid $80 for that I really like. Its pretty smooth and quiet and the cartridges are cheap if you want to load a few different lines up. I use it for my 6wt and 4 wt rod. The guy at the local shop highly recommended it for someone that want's a decent reel without paying premium price.

what kind of fishing do you do? do you like silent reels? muffled clicks? do you need a disc drag (not too likely for a 4wt but disc drags are usually quieter than clickers)? does it have to be new or are you open to used? standard or large or mid arbor?

teton or teton's tioga falls into your price range new. galvan standard used would too ($180 new), i always like the orvis battenkills for the price (find an english one used though new it's only $79), orvis BBS new (or used would be UK), lamson radius, especially a closeout model would fit your price but i'm not sure about where it's made, but the ross cimmaron #1 ($149, usa) fits into your criteria. so many reels were made over the years if you opened yourself up to the used market maybe an old smallish pflueger would work for you, or the discontinued but highly sought after redington CT. personally, i like my messielbach airex ablette for my 3/4 weight rods (us made)... even various condex, pridex reels would fit the bill. you could even get a used english-made orvis CFO and a spare spool for about $250. with the spare spool, you could rationalize it as two reels, bringing the price down to $125 each... LOL

eric
    fresno, ca.