Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default Catskill dry fly

I read about "Catskill" dry flies. What are they? What makes them "Catskill?" What is their advantage and are there specific ways to fish them?

Default Re: Catskill dry fly

They came from the Catskill region, its basically a style that developed there. The flies are typically tied with a split wood duck wing, slim body, and can be very imitative. Fish them how you would any dry and you get to look stylish at the same time
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

What makes them Catskill style is the way that they are hackled, with the hackle finishing at the hook eye and in front of the wing tie-in point.
    Advantage ?? They're kinda old school actually with parachute and thorax style dries general considered better imitations.
    If there is any advantage it's that they sit higher off the water and may float better.
    Last edited by Rip Tide; 01-20-2013 at 07:21 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Have a look at some of the posts on this forum by a member who goes by the handle "FlySlinger". He ties Catskill-style dries.

In addition to what's already been mentioned, when these flies were first developed, the tippet to fly knot that was in vogue was not the clinch, but the turle; a knot that requires mores space on the hook itself; behind the eye.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA3JYD4VXKA]Turle Knot - YouTube[/ame]

So, if you see an authentic Catskill-style dry fly, it will have a small space between the front end of the thorax and the eye of the hook. Here's more on the Catskill-style dry from Mike Valla:

Catskill Style Trout Flies

Also google Theodore Gordon, the often times called "father" of American dry fly fishing. You'll find that he developed most of his patterns and ran most of his "fishing experiments" in the Catskill Mountains of NY State. His influencers were all British; including, and probably most notably, Frederic Halford.

Pocono

Here's a bunch of really old patterns you don't hear about too much these days.

http://home.comcast.net/~rlonghunter...20Classics.pdf

I can't take credit for those though, I tend to go along the lines of what Riptide was saying where the parachute and thorax ties fish a little better but the oldies still get wet. They do well in water that might be a little to turbulent for a para or similar fly.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave