Snap hooks?

brodie

Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion on snap hooks for fly to tippet?
I ask because I have young boys who are always needing my help when changing flys (though their knots are slowly improving) then I discovered these things at my local tackle shop and absolutely love em.

I saw three immediate advantages: 1. you can change flys in seconds (i grasp the bottom of the hook with locking forceps then snap on and off flys), 2. the fly seems to swim more natural, and 3. i'm not shortening the tippet with every change

I dont know how many different kinds are out there, but the ones i'm using are really small (add virtually no weight to the fly and barely big enough for the hook eye)

What are the negatives?

silver creek

Reaction score
Probably no negatives for streamers or large or bushy dries like hoppers.

But for delicate flies or small flies <14, I would not use them. I also wouldn't use them for any fly that is fished in the film like a spinner patterns. I question whether they would detract from emergers that depend on the no extra silhouette adding to the head.

plecain

Reaction score
One problem I've had with the really small ones is that the spring-loaded closure will fail with a large fish. It just pulls out of the catch mechanism.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I used something like that many years ago, but no longer do. Still use various snaps & swivels, but only with other tackle, not fly fishing. Agree with what the others have said, they'll work well with some fly types, but not so well with others, and there are strength limits to each size.

If you're primarily fishing for panfish or stocked trout, particularly with kids, and they help, & fish are being caught, then use them.

Sounds like you're on the right track with teaching the kids how to tie proper knots, and that's important too. Just don't allow the snaps to be a crutch, and a substitution for a properly tied knot. :)

brodie

Reaction score
thanks for the replies. ive got a digital fish scale..i might rig up a test to see just how strong they are.
good point about detracting from the head profile..didnt think of that..though i am mostly fishing warm water where the fish aren't as finicky.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I use them in my Pike leaders because I have steel in it. I have really heavy quick clips that work and have not had a problem with. I used lighter versions on leaders for Walleye before but if you do, make sure they are a good brand. I have had some that are good and ones that look just like them that suck bad. On Pike leaders I use small cross lock snaps and have never had one fail on a big fish yet.

Supposedly you can use the small quick clips on dry flies but not sure I would. As for nymphs and stuff like that I don't see a problem. If fish don't have a problem with the hook sticking out of the butt, I doubt they will have a problem with the much smaller clip hanging on the eye.

45fisher

Reaction score

If this is what your are refering to,(Disregard the blue Mustard hook box) I have used them but don't find them to be all that great for fly fishing. As already been mentioned they are ok for 'med' flys but don't work for small ones <14/16. I find that the eye is either to big (thickness of eye) or too small (eye too small to fit on snap). This of course depends on what brand of hooks you use. In addition when using light tippets trying to snap a hook/fly on to these things will break your tippets. I have also found that the jaws of the snaps will open up with use and you will lose flies.
My opinion.

Larry

bigjim5589

Reaction score
45fisher, that's similar to what I used years ago, and I found just as you have, they have limitations. They also don't work well with hooks that have down or up eyes.

I've also used Duo Lock Snaps in very small sizes. Most are stainless steel & are a shiny silver color. They are also available in black. Not as quick as what 45fisher posted, but they also don't open up as easily. Still, they have negatives too, as the bends in the wire tend to pick up debris, especially grass.

Duo-Lock Snaps

brodie

Reaction score
45fisher,
Not the same brand but that looks like what I'm using with the snap diameter being barley larger than the hook eye

Last edited:

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
45fisher, that's similar to what I used years ago, and I found just as you have, they have limitations. They also don't work well with hooks that have down or up eyes.

I've also used Duo Lock Snaps in very small sizes. Most are stainless steel & are a shiny silver color. They are also available in black. Not as quick as what 45fisher posted, but they also don't open up as easily. Still, they have negatives too, as the bends in the wire tend to pick up debris, especially grass.

Duo-Lock Snaps
I use these in my Pike leaders.

mudbug

Reaction score
I use the Fas-Snap brand when fishing for bass. I figure the little bit of extra metal in the front is nothing compared to all the metal the gear chuckers use.

I did have one strange thing happen when I was dealing with a snag. I suddenly broke loose and though I had broken off, but I still had the snap on the end, un-bent. I guess it got turned around on the eye and I pulled it off.

dabluz

Reaction score
I was using stinger hooks on jigs for pike fishing. Lost the first 2 pike due to the snap opening during the fight and losing my stinger hooks. I now use crimped sleeves to hold my stinger hooks to my jigs. I make my own stinger hook rigs.

I've never had the idea nor the inclination to use them for fly fishing.