A fly tying question

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
Since I've started into this adventure of fly tying..I've only used the standard cement. What I'm needing to know,,what cement,,adhesive ?? is it that is very thick,,you can lay a bubble down and it not flow out flat,,,kinda like,,putting a translucent 'hump' on a nymph for example. I've seen the tiers on YouTube use it but I always miss the name of what they are using,,or they don't show it.

What am I looking for by name ?

Thanks folks,

Michael

webrx

Reaction score
are you talking about something like a "loon uv resin" you pop it on and harden by shining a uv light on it?

d

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
What kind of cement are you using? Head cement should be pretty thin and flow freely. You arent using a contact cement found at a craft or hardware store, are you?

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I'm using a fly tying head cement, woodriver.

Thanks for the link to the thread on this , mcnerney. Lot's of options I see...well be exploring things. I'm not sure it's a critical thing,,,but I can see situations were a semi thick epoxy type might be a good thing.

Thanks guys

itchmesir

Reaction score
If you're new to fly tying.. Ditch the head cement.. Krazy Glue is where it's at.. cheaper.. and 100x stonger ;)

As for UV resins.. Don't get drawn in by the flashy $20-40 lights that are "needed" to make the resin set.. you can buy them on the auction site for $4.. the real problem is figuring out which resin you prefer.. a couple years ago there seemed to only be a hand full.. now there's a ton of them on the market

mrp1

Reaction score
For my saltwater flies I use 5 minute epoxy and dry them on a turner. For "thread heads" I use nail polish. I use Super Glue over the entire fly on my Chironomids.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
If you're new to fly tying.. Ditch the head cement.. Krazy Glue is where it's at..
I use nail polish, Krazy Glue, hot glue, Goop, epoxy, varnish, fabric paint,..... all kinds of stuff (no head cement though ;) )
They all have their uses. I wouldn't discount one for another.

silver creek

Reaction score
I use head cement (actually Sally Hansen's nail polish) or UV acrylics when I need a shiny head on a fly, mainly for streamers. I rarely use head cent to hold my wraps. A 5 turn whip finish is all that I need. I learned that from a commercial tyer who would give a dozen free flies if any of his flies unraveled. A proper whip finish saves a lot of head cementing.

I do use super glue very, very rarely. My belief is that a proper tying technique is faster and as secure as using glues. I think if my flies unraveled, I would try to figure out why and only use glues if there was no other way to solve the unravelling.

Some patterns call for a specific adhesive. I use super glue if the pattern calls for it as in some foam patterns. I use Tear Mender, the latex flexible adhesive called for in Scott Sanchez's Double Bunny pattern. I use 3M 77 spray adhesives to glue foam strips together to form the color pattern I need, as for a Morrish Hopper.

I use UV acrylics in the place of epoxy.

Jackster

Reaction score
For the bubble back as on a copper john I use 20 minute epoxy. I'm in no hurry when tying so the extra time it takes the 20 minute epoxy to kick just gives me more leeway in how much time to spend trying for those perfect finishes. I was told a long time ago that back then the 5 minute epoxy wasn't as durable and clouded or yellowed over time.
I use Crazy Glue mainly as a base to hold biot bodies together.
I use water based head cement in a squeeze jar with a very small applicator tip for tacking head wraps down.
I use Sally Hansons quick dry clear for the occasional use.
I have a collection of Clear Cure Goo but really haven't given it much use. I'm told by friends that they use the Hydro the most as a true head cement. Unlike most of the other CCG is supposedly kicks tack free. The turn-off of CCG is when they ask you to cover it with Sally Hansons when done. That sort of defeats the purpose. I swipe the finish with alchohol pads. Still an extra PIA step.

jaybo41

Reaction score
I'm with Silver, I use Sally Hansen Hard as Nails when warranted. Sometimes on more delicate dries, I'll take the brush and swipe it across the thread and whip finish. When tying bead head flies, I rarely if ever use it. Streamers and tubes I almost always do.

Instead of Crazy Glue I use Zap a Gap, but not very often. I use it on tube flies when I'm joining the smaller tube into the larger one just as an added step of durability. If I've wrapped it right, it's probably not going anywhere.

UV resin is great for nymphs like copper johns and two bits or when you want to add that sort of effect to other patterns. Scuds can be done this way too. There's a lot of options here for the UV resins and plenty of discussion here on favorite brands.

brucerducer

Reaction score
I use head cement (actually Sally Hansen's nail polish) or UV acrylics when I need a shiny head on a fly, mainly for streamers. I rarely use head cent to hold my wraps. A 5 turn whip finish is all that I need. I learned that from a commercial tyer who would give a dozen free flies if any of his flies unraveled. A proper whip finish saves a lot of head cementing.

I do use super glue very, very rarely. My belief is that a proper tying technique is faster and as secure as using glues. I think if my flies unraveled, I would try to figure out why and only use glues if there was no other way to solve the unravelling.

Some patterns call for a specific adhesive. I use super glue if the pattern calls for it as in some foam patterns. I use Tear Mender, the latex flexible adhesive called for in Scott Sanchez's Double Bunny pattern. I use 3M 77 spray adhesives to glue foam strips together to form the color pattern I need, as for a Morrish Hopper.

I use UV acrylics in the place of epoxy.

I use Sally Hansen's HARD AS NAILS also. It is what the ladies use for doing their Nails. It can be diluted or thinned with common Acetone.

. 5 minute epoxies serve for serious "hardeners".

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Who decided that Sally Hansen Hard as Nails was the official substitute for commercial head cement ??

I've used half a dozen different brands of clear nail polish (including Sally's) and if there's any difference, I'm sure that it ain't much
My only stipulation nowadays is that it cost a dollar or less.

I actually use a lot of Krazy Glue. When tying saltwater flies they get a drop after almost every step.

bugslinger

Reaction score
Since I've started into this adventure of fly tying..I've only used the standard cement. What I'm needing to know,,what cement,,adhesive ?? is it that is very thick,,you can lay a bubble down and it not flow out flat,,,kinda like,,putting a translucent 'hump' on a nymph for example. I've seen the tiers on YouTube use it but I always miss the name of what they are using,,or they don't show it.

What am I looking for by name ?

Thanks folks,

Michael[/QUO

Michael

You are probably talking about head cement, it comes in many guises and names. All that it acomplishes is making sure the finished thread doesn't unravel and you tied fly fall apart. You can do a double or triple whip finish and not ever use adhesives to finish the fly. I use different glues on flys for fish with teeth or flys that I want to catch alot of fish using the same fly. Expoxy is usualy used for big fish in the salt but many use it to add durability to poppers and surf flys. Fly tying is mainly common sense with a bit on tecnique thrown in for good measure. Many tiers use clear nail polish as stated before, the nice thing about tying your own is that you can use the stuff you have at hand and tie a fly that catches fish. There are epoxy like adhesives that build up nicely but do not require the drying time of epoxy, the list is endless. Don't be afraid to experiment.

Charlie

Charlie

Last edited:

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Who decided that Sally Hansen Hard as Nails was the official substitute for commercial head cement ??

I've used half a dozen different brands of clear nail polish (including Sally's) and if there's any difference, I'm sure that it ain't much
That's a good question. I have used it for so long I don't even remember why I started using that brand. Maybe it is the word "Hard" in the name. Makes it seem tougher to us. :confused:

bigjim5589

Reaction score
It's highly likely that some outdoor writer mentioned it in an article somewhere in the past, it took hold & many of us have been using it ever since. That's as likely as anything!

I use Sally Hansen's & epoxy most. Also use Tear Mender, super glues & some other common adhesives found in craft shops or hardware stores. Haven't used commercially produced head cements in many years.

For super glues, there are those that are very thin, and if care is not taken, it's possible to ruin a fly, as that thin glue has a tendency to wick into anything porous it contacts. Learned that lesson the hard way. Use it sparingly. The gel types have their place too.

For the original question, some of the fabric paints can also be used to form a hump on a fly. There are many with various consistencies & many, many colors. I used some in the past that dried clear, so it did look like a bubble. Have used some that were very thick & held there shape very well.

Not a adhesive, but transparent glass beads, the type that have a silver colored inner lining can also be used to get a similar effect. They can be coated with anything you want that is clear, or left as is. Thread a piece of cheap, clear monofilament through the beads then secure with your tying thread. I don't recall the exact technique, but it involved tying with the beads & dubbing the body around the beads. Quite a few years ago, there was a tier who was doing this. Gives the appearance of air bubbles attached to a nymph. I think I read about it in Fly Tyer magazine. Glass beads also add a bit of weight, and is not a bad idea for those concerned about using lead wire.

Another possible method is to use hot glue. There are mini glue guns that output precise amounts of the glue that could be used to form such small bubbles. There was a fellow who did this & formed the bodies on hooks for Bonefish flies. The glue sticks are available in many colors, including some that have glitters in them.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
About beads,,I've tied some nymphs with colored glass beads from Jo Anne's Fabric and Craft Shop,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,is this an unforgivable sin ? They do work. And you can get them in any size you want.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
About beads,,I've tied some nymphs with colored glass beads from Jo Anne's Fabric and Craft Shop,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,is this an unforgivable sin ? They do work. And you can get them in any size you want.
Not to me it's not! IMO, it's a sin not to use what is affordable & readily available! :rolleyes: