Other Places Similar To What I Have Now?

itchmesir

Reaction score
So in a couple years here... 1-2years probably... Me and the gf will be moving... Destination unknown in all honesty... But we'd like to move on and live other places for awhile...

Here in lies the dilemma... I live in what some would probably consider one of the best areas a fisherman could live in... to the north... south... east... west is the Driftless Area... 5min is how long it takes me to drive to a designated trout stream... I also live in the Mississippi River valley... 2 blocks and I'm at the Miss... 8 blocks the other way and I'm at a lake created by the old river channel... Realistically... within a 4hr drive... I'm in an area where there is over 200 different species of fish... 100 of which are within realm of actually catching... depending on the gear used... I also hear that ice fishing is really good around here... I wouldn't know.. Never interested me... and thanks to a Winter C&R season.. I fish strictly trout til warm water opens up and provides other opportunities...

I'd like a state/area that provides as close to the amount of action as stated above... Maybe has less seasonal restrictions than Minnesota... I already hold 3 fishing licenses as well.. So an area that is reasonable to making it practical to buy an out-of-state license will also do... Also an area where warm water doesn't freeze over is always nice too... but not needed as long as there are streams one can fish instead...

Realistically... It seems we'll still end up in the Midwest in the end of it all.. Not in the MN/WI/IA area... more like the southern or eastern parts of the Midwest... St. Louis, MO and Evansville, IN area are seeming like two areas that may be a possibility on the gf's side of the argument... I know a little bit of the StL area... Nothing about Evansville... So if you can weigh in on either or both of those areas that would help as well...

stl_geoff

Reaction score
Yeah if you come to STL you will be atleast 45 minutes out til you can find trout. The better streams are all 2-3 hours away if not further. there is alot of warm water here, but its hit and miss on how good it is or access to it. Its gets super hot and humid here in the summer, and really cold with no snow or humidty in the winter time. I mean we're talking 100+ degree swings between seasons. I cant wait to move from here and head way South.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Itchmesir: As the others have said, why move? It looks to me you are in an area that is about as good as it gets for fly fishing, there must be some other reason you are considering a move. Could it be something like :It's always greener on the other side of the fence, or something else all together. Maybe rather than considering a move, plan on doing a little traveling.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
The outlook for the future of Minnesota and actually making a living is shakey at best. Iowa is probably going to be the best of the 3 for getting a job, but truthfully, none of the three are looking that great to me right now. I'm thinking about making a move myself. Half of what I laughably call downtown here is now empty. I don't see that improving in the next few years.

I'm giving serious thought to bailing out also. Maybe back closer to the rest of my family. Montana or Wyoming.

codypom

Reaction score
The outlook for the future of Minnesota and actually making a living is shakey at best. Iowa is probably going to be the best of the 3 for getting a job
Really? Why do you say that? I am not asking in a bad way, just curious. I went to college in Decorah, and there isn't much around there. I would think the La Crosse or Prairie du Chein areas in WI, or Rochester area in MN would be better than NE Iowa. Personally, if I could live anywhere in the world it would be Decorah. It is a good thing I didn't fish when I was in college, I never would have passed a single class.

al_a

Reaction score
Well...it kinda depends upon what else you're looking for, as well. For instance, the metropolitan St. Louis area doesn't off a lot in the way of easily gotten to good fishing, but you could locate 100 miles or so south and west of St. Louis and be in the middle of LOTS of good stream fishing. Such as the Rolla area of Missouri. Rolla is a regional shopping hub, college town, and there are probably 500 miles of fishable streams within an hour's drive or so.

Or Springfield, MO, a decent size city where you're less than an hour from the big White River lakes, and again there are lots of miles of fishable streams for both trout and bass nearby.

However, job prospects aren't good in these smaller Ozark cities, and you have to put up with a lot of people who don't seem to care in the least about protecting what's good about the areas.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Bozeman if you don't mind winter. Sacramento if you do. (Portland or Settle might be acceptable choices too. )

Of course, assuming either place offers the kind of work you do. The problem with the midwest is that the coldwater habitat tends to coincide with a poor regional economy, but you might think about Pittsburgh or upstate NY (Rochester, Syracuse).

mbchilton

Reaction score
I've been trying to talk my wife into moving where you are. Why would you leave?!

No, I understand the desire to live in different places, and have new experiences. You might consider Denver (or elsewhere in CO), or East Tennessee. You won't find better fishing in the midwest than where you are currently. The closest you'll come is the Ozarks, but I have a couple cousins who live there and say the economy is terrible.

Or you could move to Des Moines. I want to organize a group to improve the fishing on the Middle Raccoon River. We need to change farming practices and rebuild fishing habitat wiped out by floods. It was once a trophy smallmouth fishery, but if something isn't done to change the current status it won't hold anything but junk fish in a few years.

il_wi_fishing

Reaction score
I've been trying to talk my wife into moving where you are. Why would you leave?!

You might consider Denver (or elsewhere in CO), or East Tennessee. You won't find better fishing in the midwest than where you are currently. The closest you'll come is the Ozarks, but I have a couple cousins who live there and say the economy is terrible.
x's 2

x's 2

well put on all accounts

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
keep going south to the ozarks...
Absolutely. NW arkansas or SW Missouri would be what you describe.

World class trout fishing in each place, along with superb warmwater fishing in the lakes and streams, particularly largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, striped bass/white bass/wipers. Good catfishing in Missouri, too.

Great scenery, too.

The eastern Ozarks are easily accessible from St. Louis. Columbia area would give you similar opportunities, as would Kansas City.

I'll plug my home state:

If you wanted to be close to a major river, I'd live in the Kansas City, Kansas area for access to the Kansas and Missouri rivers. Look to SW Missouri as a getaway place. Kansas has highly underrated warmwater fishing and living is good--low crime, low taxes, decent schools etc. Several Kansas reservoirs and lakes are close to KC. Truman Lake and Lake of the Ozarks are reasonably close on the Missouri side and many in KC use them for weekends, especially LOZ. World class trout water is 3.5 hours away at Branson, MO and Bennett Spring State park, while heavily used, offers trout fishing about 2 hours away.

Last edited:

wt bash

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat bro, this part of Ohio, if not all of Ohio is dead. Poor trout fishing at best, great warmwater though. Pennsylvania is starting to look really good to me. One thing I noticed in the Cumberland Valley area is the local economy seems to be doing fairly well. The dairy industry seems like the artery that keeps the blood flowing, I mean think about it, everyone has a gallon of milk in the fridge along with butter and cheese. Driving between Chambersburg, Newville, Newburg, and so on its rare to see a foreclosed property or dilapidated home. Crime is low, compared to here but areas have their issues just like anywhere. That area has everything I'm interested in, spring creeks, mountain streams, freestones and a relatively short jaunt up 81 puts my in the heart of Pa fly fishing, I'd be close enough to Harrisburg to take the girlfriend out for a night in the city and there's enough antique and second hand stores around to keep her happy in shopping (without drying up the money well) and I noticed in my time spent there that there is a different sense of community and pride of ownership. After this summer and school I hope to be looking for apartments or homes in that area. Ohio sucks!

ditz

Reaction score
The Carolina's would be a good place to look. Mountains and salt both available fairly close. Who could ask for anything more. Ashville is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Greenville is fantastic also. One of the few things that I regret is passing on a job in Greenville. Did't want to displace the kids. BIG MISTAKE....Northeast Georgia is well worth considering also. Same reasons as above.

codypom

Reaction score

Or you could move to Des Moines. I want to organize a group to improve the fishing on the Middle Raccoon River. We need to change farming practices and rebuild fishing habitat wiped out by floods. It was once a trophy smallmouth fishery, but if something isn't done to change the current status it won't hold anything but junk fish in a few years.
How is the economy in Des Moines? I make it there a few times a year and it seems to do pretty well, but I am sure living there would give a different picture.

mbchilton

Reaction score
How is the economy in Des Moines? I make it there a few times a year and it seems to do pretty well, but I am sure living there would give a different picture.
It's one of the steadiest, most consistent economies in the country. Highs aren't as high, lows aren't as low. It's mostly a finance and insurance town, but the last decade has brought about many changes. Des Moines is a great place for small businesses and young people. Fishing on the other hand...