Costa Del Mar

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
The 580 glass lens is the best lens I have ever used and I have owned a lot of high end glasses.

If you fish a lot, I believe it is... I have two pairs, one over 5 years old and looks new still, good quality glasses.

Action Optics/Smith, Orvis, Oakley and Maui Jim do not compare...

jcw355

Reaction score
If your ever in Broken Arrow Oklahoma go to Bass Pro and try them on. I got to go outside with them to look around, I bought them.

Sep

Reaction score
I have a pair of Joses with 580P ambers and they are incredible. I also have a pair of Maui Jim Stingrays with their HT lenses and they are fantastic in low light situations. Bottom line, good glasses are worth the price.

I've heard many times folks say they don't buy good sunglasses because they break or lose them often. I believe that the cause/effect is actually reversed - that they break/lose them often because they buy cheap sunglasses. Good quality specs take abuse cheapies don't and if you have something that you value you'll take care of it.

Worth the money? Absolutely.

Mike

scott11t

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the input. I've heard nothing but good about them. I just wanted some more confirmation. I'm thinking I might just pull the trigger and get some.

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
I've heard many times folks say they don't buy good sunglasses because they break or lose them often. I believe that the cause/effect is actually

Mike
I have had 3 pair of my Costa Man O Wars. One pair I lost and one pair was stolen. If I lose the pair I have now, I would replace them again. Not only is the clarity of the lenses amazing but being on the water as much as I am, a few hundred bucks is worth potentially saving my eyesight.

cowger10

Reaction score
I agree with all of the above. I got a pair at the end of last summer and they are worth it. The 580 lenses are the way to go.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
After reading all the good reviews, I have been thinking seriously about getting a pair of the 580's, but I want to try them on, I'm tired of buying sun glasses online and then finding out the frame doesn't fit very well. This is one of the drawbacks about living out in the sticks. :D

mrfzx

Reaction score
I have a very serious eye condition which requires me to wear special contact lenses. Because of this light intensity is an extreme issue for me, especially UV light. My opthamologist from the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center gave me three brands of sunglasses to buy, and only three. He recommended the Costa's by a wide margin, with Smith Optics and Maui Jim a distant 2nd and 3rd. Yes, they are worth the money.

If you can get there, check out a Cabela's in-store bargain cave. I have gotten some excellent deals on Costa's there.

itchmesir

Reaction score
Is there a visible notice between the Poly and Glass? Or is it the same?... Because in all honesty... If I have a fly coming back at my face... I'd rather a plastic lens crack... than having a glass lens shatter and get glass in my eye

Sep

Reaction score
Is there a visible notice between the Poly and Glass? Or is it the same?... Because in all honesty... If I have a fly coming back at my face... I'd rather a plastic lens crack... than having a glass lens shatter and get glass in my eye
I went with the 580Ps and they are crystal clear. Made the choice for weight considerations more than anything. The Joses I have are pretty big - for complete coverage, not a fashion statement - and I like them lightweight as I wear them all day. I figured that glass lenses that large might be a bit heavy.

I have not regretted my decision.

Mike

1move

Reaction score
Pretty sure they would be Tempered Glass sunglasses. They wont just shatter and explode on you. They will crack but not shatter like you would think.

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
I worked as a first mate on a charter boat years ago.

I once had a client whom had been drinking, try and thumb the spool of the reel and lift a 20 pound King Salmon into the boat as I was dropping the net to net the fish, thinking he was being funny...

What happened was the hook pulled free from the fishes mouth and a Dodger "giant chunk of metal" came FLYING out of the water and hit me directly in the glass lens, literally saving my eye from certain damage. Trust me, this thing was MOVING through the air and the glass lens didn't even break, it got a scuff on it so they were no longer use-able but that was it...

The prick still thought that was funny and at the end of the day, I got a mere $20.00 tip...

Destroyed a $300.00 pair of glasses essentially and his drunk arse gave me $20.00. It was everything I could do to keep from beating him to a pulp.

It was a fun job, but sadly, there was a lot of folks like that and I basically worked for tips, Captain gave me $40.00 a day and beyond that, I relied on tips...

The Summer that happened was my last Summer I worked that job, when you did the math you made less than minimum wage...

I wouldn't worry about the strength of the glass lens :)

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
I believe they are z-87 certified which means they are very impact resistant. I am a tree climber and I trust mine while felling trees and running equipment.

One of the big benefits of the glass is it is a lot harder to scratch than the poly lenses.