Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Regluing Butt end

Default Regluing Butt end

I was futzing around with my Powell this evening, seeing if my Okuma 7/8 fit on it, and as I was tightening the reel on it started pushing the butt end off. I was able to pull the butt end off pretty easily after that.

What should I use to reattach it? I was thinking two-part epoxy. What say ye?

Default Re: Regluing Butt end

I use 2 part epoxy, personally the 5-minute stuff.
    - William

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Si Senor.... However, clean everything with alcohol first. Make sure it is clean and get as much of the old glue out as you can. Again, make sure it is clean. Make sure the epoxy is well mixed. As close to 1/2 and 1/2 as you can get. Mix it till you think it is thoroughly mixed, then mix it some more. Put the glue really well in the female end. This will keep it from becoming a big mess on the outside of things when it's on. If you get any excess exposed use alcohol to clean it off before it sets.

4. Likes wishiniwerfishin liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    Si Senor.... However, clean everything with alcohol first. Make sure it is clean and get as much of the old glue out as you can. Again, make sure it is clean. Make sure the epoxy is well mixed. As close to 1/2 and 1/2 as you can get. Mix it till you think it is thoroughly mixed, then mix it some more. Put the glue really well in the female end. This will keep it from becoming a big mess on the outside of things when it's on. If you get any excess exposed use alcohol to clean it off before it sets.
    I would also recommend putting the butt on dry first and then mask off just above. As soon as the glued butt is applied you can take off the tape and there won't be as big a mess to clean up on the rod if extra epoxy oozes out. Leave a tag of tape sticking up so it will be easier to get off.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Look, don't have anything to do with this: I glued the butt end once and she would not talk to me for weeks...oh, wait...nevermind.
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    What manner of jackassery will I be subjected to today?

Quote Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
    Look, don't have anything to do with this: I glued the butt end once and she would not talk to me for weeks...oh, wait...nevermind.
    Glad I'm not the only one. I really don't see what the big deal was.