Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  46
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Has tying made you a better fisherman?

I think so, at least it has sent me off of the deep end with my fly fishing! It has caused me to pay more attention to the bugs I see on the water so I am better able to go back and whip up something similar. Now I will see something like a new mayfly and I will go back and do some research and try to find patterns to match the nymph, emerger, dun, etc. It has made me think more about life cycles.

2. Likes jaybo41, noreaster liked this post

Better? eh maybe. If I still sucked at casting or finding fish in water, no matter how good I tie thats not going to help me.

Now it has given me the oppertunity to have more flies on hand when trying to figure out the situation. It also allows me to alter maybe a basic pattern into something alittle more local.
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

I can't tell you how many times I've fished all day thinking "If I had a fly that 'did this' or 'looked like that' I'd have done much better".
    Then when I got home I'd tie up half a dozen for when I went back the next day.

(..this was especially true back when I fished every day which helped to retain all these little thoughts and plans.)

..Anyway, if I couldn't just go home and act on my little ideas they'd likely to be lost until the next time the a similar situation popped up and again it was likely that I'd be unprepared.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

5. Likes bigjim5589, jaybo41 liked this post

Tying has really helped my casting recently. I'll say this: it has definitely made me look to the entire river as to what a trout is going to eat. "Hot flies" aside, tying flies pushes you into entomology of a trout's habitat. And that has helped immensely.

7. Likes imxer, jaybo41 liked this post

I think it has because I have confidence in my own ties. When I have confidence in the fly I tend to fish it better. Like others have said you learn to build flies that suit the situation better. You get more in tune with hatches, baitfish, and the crustaceans the fish key in on locally or on a favorite river/stream.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

9. Likes theboz, bigjim5589, tpo liked this post

I don't see how it could make me a worse fisherman! So, yes, it has.

Instagram page @tblom77

11. Likes bigjim5589 liked this post

I started tying before I took up fly fishing, so I have no way to compare. My wife thought tying would appeal to my artistic side. Now she has to deal with the idea that I sometimes decide I have to build a new rod, not because I need it, but because I have an idea of what I want one to look like. It's all her fault. How can you help but love a woman like that?

13. Likes bigjim5589, jaybo41 liked this post

I enjoy tying flies and usually do it every day that I am not fishing. It allows me to keep my head into fishing when I am not on the water. I often find myself thinking of a pattern or situation until I sit down at the vise to create the fly. There are many ways to keep fishing, which is the great thing about our sport...

15. Likes bigjim5589, jaybo41, tpo liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
    I think it has because I have confidence in my own ties. When I have confidence in the fly I tend to fish it better. Like others have said you learn to build flies that suit the situation better. You get more in tune with hatches, baitfish, and the crustaceans the fish key in on locally or on a favorite river/stream.
    I'll double that thought! Confidence is a key to success in fishing and being sure of how good your own flys will work definitely makes you fish them harder than something that your not as sure about. Can't tell you how many times in my mind I'm thinking I know this will work when all else has failed even if it doesn't !
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

17. Likes bigjim5589, tpo liked this post

the short answer for me- YES!

clarkii.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast