Storing waders and boots

chauncey

Reaction score
So I got a pair of g4s and guide boots for christmas and ive just kept them in the taco bag I got with them. Is that ok? What do you guys do after you use them? Hang them up in the garage and let them dry? Then put them back in the bag?

jaybo41

Reaction score
You'll be fine keeping them in the bag once they're dry. Take the time and let them dry completely. Inside first, then flip em and let the outside dry. I hang mine up on a coat rack. If you can let the feet touch the ground it will help keep stress off of the bootie seams.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Just what Jaybo said.

I'm a little neurotic about spreading bugs so I wash my boots in hot water when I get home and leave them to dry in the laundry room. Then in the great bag they go when dry.

chased

Reaction score
When I get home from a day on the water, I give them a good spray off with the hose, then hang them in the garage to dry. Usually by the time they are dry, I am ready to go fishing again so I never really "store" them. Sometime I will bring them in the house and hang them up in a closet if I am not going fishing any time soon since my garage isn't heated. Don't know if it's true, but someone told me not to wad or fold them up for long periods of time or leave them in a hot car. I usually just throw them in the car and go since I don't have a fancy bag to put them in.

Hopefully some other people will chime in and let us know how they do it, I am also curious to know....

-Chase

jaybo41

Reaction score
Once they're dry, ROLL them up and keep them in your house until you need them.

As for the boots, I wash the dirt off of mine with hot water and give them a scrub with dish soap and a boot brush, then thoroughly rise and let dry. In the sun if possible. I especially do this if I'm fishing different waters the next time I go out.

williamhj

Reaction score
I have a nice little set-up in the garage. I bought a short section of wire shelving that I mounted above head level. I put my boots on that so that air can circulate on all sides of them. Put them upside down then flip the right side up a bit later. Have a couple of padded hooks on the wall where I hang the waders to let them dry out after fishing.

Thankfully here in Colorado it doesn't take too long to dry. Back in the Midwest in the summer... that humidity made it a bit harder.

littledavid123

Reaction score
I hang them in the laundry room for one day and then hang in the closet. I don't let the toes touch the ground, we have the brown recluse spider in the south and they like dark undisturbed areas to hide, always check my boots before putting them on also. Actually found one in a pair of shoes once...:eek:

Dave

chauncey

Reaction score
One more question, I'm going to be up in Glenwood springs in a few weeks to fish and ski and I will probably be in the frying pan and roaring fork (I wont be fishing the pan too far from basalt - probably just through town). Do you guys wash your waders if you are fishing 2 different rivers even if they flow into each other? Does that make sense?

comeonavs

Reaction score
One more question, I'm going to be up in Glenwood springs in a few weeks to fish and ski and I will probably be in the frying pan and roaring fork (I wont be fishing the pan too far from basalt - probably just through town). Do you guys wash your waders if you are fishing 2 different rivers even if they flow into each other? Does that make sense?
I try to wash then when fishing different rivers , but if it isn't possible I don't sweat it to much. If you are staying in a hotel, a quick rinse in the shower is better than nothing.

Like I said I'm pretty neurotic about it, where as my buddies never do it.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
After all is right in my mind that they are dry, i hang them with two plastic coat hangers in my dark walk in. Not each one single but laying horizontal thur two coat hangers with about a foot hanging off each end/hanger. I thought,,as the gent said,,that taking stress off of them might be a good thing for the seams. I'll get paranoid about them being in one position sometimes and rotate them. That's just OCD I guess lol
But good waders are a big investment for me,,and I 'try' to take the best care of them that I understand how.

ditz

Reaction score
I have a $50 pair of boot foot waders that are over 10yr old. They did start leaking last year so I am looking for a new pair. I bent up a couple of wire hangers and squeeze the boots into the bent hangers and hang them upside down in an unheated garage. Works for me.:thmbup:

mo_farmboy

Reaction score
I do exactly as ditz does. It takes away the stress from the weight of the boots and lets any moisture that's inside run out.

45fisher

Reaction score
So I got a pair of g4s and guide boots for christmas and ive just kept them in the taco bag I got with them. Is that ok? What do you guys do after you use them? Hang them up in the garage and let them dry? Then put them back in the bag?
I hang mine in the garage to dry...would not even think about hanging them in the house!:sweatingb
Once dry I brush them off, roll them up and place them in a bag for the next time.

I do the same for my boots. To help dry them I use one of those handi electric boot dryers. They work very well.
Again once dry I brush them off and make ready for the next time.

Larry

roofish

Reaction score
I hang them in the laundry room for one day and then hang in the closet. I don't let the toes touch the ground, we have the brown recluse spider in the south and they like dark undisturbed areas to hide, always check my boots before putting them on also. Actually found one in a pair of shoes once...:eek:

Dave
Excellent point Dave, I live in Texas!:thmbup:

dillon

Reaction score
Waders should be kept clean to protect the fabrics. Launder them in the washing machine with a mild detergent at least once per season. They can even be put in the dryer. Follow the manufacturers directions to be safe. I know someone that puts a crease in them but that is a little over the top in my opinion.

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
I rinse mine in the shower and wash in the tub with powder detergent. I was told by Redington to never put them in the dryer as it can separate the layers. I have also heard that it is fine on low heat too so maybe they just said that to cover their butt.

dillon

Reaction score
Patagonia wader care and feeding

Keep them clean: rinse your waders of any dirt or mud after each use.
washing: In addition, contrary to popular belief, regular washing
is actually good for all technical fabrics, even waders. Use a good powdered detergent or a techni- cal wash soap like Nikwax® Tech Wash in a front-loading washing machine. Secure all snaps and tie straps together to prevent fabric damage. rinse twice.

drying: Hang dry out of direct sunlight, or dry in a front load dryer on low heat just until dry. Both cleaning and drying enhances DWr performance.

repair Leaks: Punctures and pinhole leaks can be repaired by either applying a thin layer of Aquaseal® Uv (in-field repair) or Seam Grip® (permanent, at-home repair), which you’ll find in the
Patagonia Wader repair Kit (included with every wader). See how-to instructions on the follow- ing pages.

Suit Up carefully: Avoid over- stretching or walking on abrasive material (like gravel) without wading boots.

Storage: Store completely dry waders in a cool, dry place. In other words, don’t wad them up in a wet ball and throw them in the back of the pickup.

chauncey

Reaction score
so decided to see what the simms site had to say -

GORE-TEX® WADER CARE:

The #1 tip to prolonging the life of a wader is drying your waders. It is important to dry your waders out after each use. We recommend drying the inside first (if damp) and then the outside. When drying the outside you can pull your gravel guards up until the feet are dry and then flip them down to dry the rest of the wader
Washing - Use a front load machine or hand wash. Use cold water and normal detergent that does not contain bleach. Once you have washed the waders make sure you dry them properly start by drying the inside first. Never put your waders in the dryer, the heat will adversely affect the seam tape on your waders and will void your warranty.
Fit - We offer more sizes than anyone, a good fit goes a long way to extending the life of your wader. Make it clear that people should use their exact measurements as we have already provided extra room for layering and movement.
General Care - Do not store inside your car for long periods of time excess heat will damage your waders.
Use A Mat - Always put your waders on using a protective mat to shield the neoprene feet from rocks. The Headwaters gear bag for example has a pull out mat that works great for this.
Proper Layering - Do not wear jeans under your waders. Jeans are highly abrasive wearing on your waders from the inside out. More importantly jeans and sweatpants do not transfer moisture away from the body. Use proper layering (to view our layering collection, go here). Using layers such as these will help wick moisture away from your body and assist in the waders ability to breathe.
Stains - most stain removers will work fine on our waders. As long as the stain remover does not contain bleach you should be o.k