Tenkara Fishing

shimloom

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone else is looking into this style or currantly using Tenkara for fishing. I have been reading on some sites about this style and find it very interesting.
Craig

rubberguy

Reaction score
:fishing: I have a 12' Iwana that I've used a few times. I also met Daniel Galhardo @ one one the sportsman expos. he's a real nice guy and a good ambassador for the sport.

Jimmie

Reaction score
I don't use one, but a person I fish with alot uses one when we go meadow fishing in the high Sierras. It's perfect for dapping dries over the tall meadow grasses and weeds. It would seem one would be good for Czech Nymping, but I haven't done that either.

T

turbineblade

I don't understand it too well.

The flies -- why tie with reverse hackle? Isn't trout fishing about matching the natural insects? From what I read, the "pulsing" of the reverse hackle is what is used to attract fish.

To me this seems like you should throw the "match the hatch" book out the window. Is this how it is generally viewed? Or do some folks fish regular soft hackles or dries as well? Nymphs?

williamhj

Reaction score

The flies -- why tie with reverse hackle? Isn't trout fishing about matching the natural insects? From what I read, the "pulsing" of the reverse hackle is what is used to attract fish.

To me this seems like you should throw the "match the hatch" book out the window. Is this how it is generally viewed? Or do some folks fish regular soft hackles or dries as well? Nymphs?
Are all western fly patterns hatch matchers? What about attractor patterns? I think match the hatch book went out the window when I tied a Royal Wulff on my line :)

Flies are about enticing fish to bite. We can tie flies that look exactly like an insect or fish or tie flies that mimic something about the insect or fish and gets our target fish to bite. There's something about the reverse hackle flies that entices them, there's also something about a Royal Wulff even though it's not a specific hatch matcher.

You can fish any flies on Tenkara. I've only used it a bit but really enjoy it. The simplicity is hard to beat, and it packs up into nothing so is great when hiking with my daughter. I've used it with dries, nymphs (including czech), and swinging flies. I know some folks have fished small streamers.

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
When I fish Tenkara, I tend to use many of the same flies I have in my western fly box... The only difference, I take only one small box of flies. No matching the hatch... I have caught many fish on Bead head nymphs, zebra midge, Elk Hair caddis, even terrestrials. As mentioned, typical Tenkara Flies are tied with reverse hackle to create a pulsation of water by the fly. Though effective, not required. The only time I specifically go Tenkara fishing is to test some of our new leaders. I often pack a Tenkara rod when I go back-packing / day hiking. Also, Tenkara is great for getting new fly fishers into the sport. My six year old son pulls fish one after another using Tenkara. Last season, he was dropping large hopper patterns and literally hooked a fish every other cast. Not huge fish, but healthy 12"-14" cuts. Loads of fun…

pszy22

Reaction score
I agree with William, the simplicity a fixed length line system provides is something that many of us find satisfing.

The main advantage I most appreciate is the ability to fish with very accurate presentations. The combination of a rather long rod ( typically 12' give or take a foot or two) and a very light line (probably just a bit south of a 1 weight) allow for very delicate and precise presentation.

Alot of folks, myself include, often tend to fish a very generic looking fly pattern. Something that looks a little bit like alot of different things. I've changed my thinking about matching the hatch quite a bit since fishing this way. I find it's at least effective to match the way various food items behave (act), as it is to match exactly how they look.

The waters I fish have alot of caddis flies, caddis flies never "dead drift" unless they are actually dead. They move alot. In order to accurately "match the hatch", I try to make my fly act in a maner similar to something that is indeed alive. Not to say that sometimes the right presentation is indeed a dead drift, and the long rod/light line allows one to keep the entire line off the water, making for a very good drag free drift.

So I very rarely change fly patterns, I am constantly changing the way I present my fly (dead drift, skate, twitch, swing, etc). I feel if the fly I'm fishing acts alive, the fish will respond. I will say it works very well for me.

T

turbineblade

Sounds interesting and fun for sure!

Any luck using reverse hackle tenkara flies on regular fly tackle?

nrp5087

Reaction score

Trout Fishing IS NOT about matching the exact insect... Ill bet you have about 90 % of your nymphs that are suggestive patterns that may look like several nymph species. Think about the fly moving through the water at a fast pace the fish only sees a shape a color something that resembles a food source. The reaction instinct of the fish tells it to test out the food source. If fish didnt do this they would starve. This is why crazy colors and obnoxious patterns work the fish must eat whatever comes there way and if a new food source shows up why not test it out.

Dries may be another story I barely use them except the elk hair caddis...

As for the reverse hackle I read it provides good movement in the water compared to a traditional collar which gets pushed back in the water, the reverse stays out front.

pszy22

Reaction score
Dries may be another story I barely use them except the elk hair caddis...
Exact same story for dries, that's about all I fish (although I do often fish them damp). Unless there is a heavy, blanket hatch going on, fish will take a generic looking fly if they think it might be something that looks good, or acts good to eat.

shimloom

Reaction score
After reading and watching videos on line I think I have to try it. The idea of not having to carry so much gear and it all packs down to such a small size is great. The flies are easy ties and after all I have read most people only carry a few, one box.

The rods seem to come in 5:5 to 7:3 so you can fish very small fish to 18"+. I am looking for a Tenkara rod, don't know if anyone here is looking to unload one, if so I would be interested.

Craig

williamhj

Reaction score
Depending on your budget I'd just buy one new, you can get outfitted for under $200. Otherwise, post a WTB (want to buy) in the classifieds area here or check out Tenkara forums for folks selling.

Softouch333

Reaction score
There are some very good tenkara rods for $50 new, but used ones do come up on forums. Tenkara Bum usually has a few for which he takes no commission. My favorites are the 11-foot Iwana and 13-foot Ayu from Tenkara USA.

Reverse hackle flies have been most effective for me in a pulsating drift which activates the hackle. I think most soft hackled wets work similarly. As several folks said, just use your western flies; a light bead head and or any nymph works too.

The cast is very precise once you get your index finger near the rods backbone and restrict your arm to the brief "scolding motion" that defines the cast. It is pretty amazing fishing with little or no line on the water, once you start fishing with that tip up.

It's so addictive that I seriously neglect my western gear, and tenkara is way better on the little creeks IMO. Less mumbo...more jumbo!

Kevin

shimloom

Reaction score
I have sent a few email to Chris at Tenkarabum and he sent a list of rods that were used for sale. Still wants goood money for the used stuff, may as well buy new. I have to try this style, it looks so easy and less fuss. I love my other fly gear and lord knows how much I have put into it. I don't do wet flies, can't ever tie on anything but dries, but I am going to try it with or without Tehkara.

I found a rod on ebay I may buy and I have line already. I would think if anyone who has shoulder problems or gets worn out easy, this would be a nice solution to that.
Craig

pszy22

Reaction score
Craig,

As Kevin says, there are a number of rod options. You shouldn't have problems finding everything you need to get started for well under $100.

It rather interesting regarding people who enjoy this style of fishing. It's great for folk who haven't fly fished before, the learning curve is short, 5 minutes before they are casting well enough to go out and catch fish. There are also alot of long time, very seasoned anglers who very much enjoy it. I think it takes them back to a simpler time.

The toughest thing for folks who have fly fished before is to figure out what to do with the other hand. You can just stick it in your pocket until you catch your first fish.

mista_bob

Reaction score
Tenkara looks awesome for smaller fish, but what if you hook into a 20"+ hog? How can you play it without it making a run for it and breaking your tippet since there's no fly line and drag??? That's my only concern about the style.
:confused:

williamhj

Reaction score
Personally I don't fish it where there's much chance getting a fish that size. I fish it on streams where I might use my 2wt and I'd use a 4 or 5wt rather than my 2wt if there was much chance of a 20 inch fish. Here's a video of the founder of Tenkara USA hooking and landing a rather nice fish though. Didn't take him that long either.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNW4UJs7J14]Big Fish Tenkara: Daniel Galhardo vs. Large Brown Trout - YouTube[/ame]

mista_bob

Reaction score
Personally I don't fish it where there's much chance getting a fish that size. I fish it on streams where I might use my 2wt and I'd use a 4 or 5wt rather than my 2wt if there was much chance of a 20 inch fish. Here's a video of the founder of Tenkara USA hooking and landing a rather nice fish though. Didn't take him that long either.
Man, it looked like he was going to break his rod! He definitely got it in, though, after he took the fish to calmer water. I have a bad history of breaking rods... lots of rods.

williamhj

Reaction score
Man, it looked like he was going to break his rod! He definitely got it in, though, after he took the fish to calmer water. I have a bad history of breaking rods... lots of rods.
I believe that's why you don't go stronger than 5x tippet so hopefully the tippet will break before the rod :)