BDU Trousers under waders?

codypom

Reaction score
My favorite pants to where are my millitary issue BDU trousers that are 50% nylon and 50% cotton. I was just wondering if anyone has worn these under their waders? I know people say not to wear cotton, but would the 50/50 blend be ok?

The only time I have been trout fishing in streams was in the summer and I wet waded. I loved it so much that I want to do it more, and I figure there will be times it will be too cold to wet wade. So this weekend I was at Bass Pro and picked up a set of these: http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-BoneDry-Hobbs-Creek-Chest-Waders-for-Men-Lug-Sole/product/10455/ that were on sale for $69. I know they are pretty cheap, but it is something to get started.

dillon

Reaction score
The reason to avoid cotton is that it absorbs moisture. It is important to a material that will wick away moisture. Wear your system and see how it works. It looks like the waders are not breathable which also helps to remove moisture and keep dry. If those waders don't work for you buy an inexpensive breathable and keep those for a back up pair.

codypom

Reaction score
It looks like the waders are not breathable which also helps to remove moisture and keep dry.
I saw that when I posted the link. In the store the signage said "nylon" waders. I thought they seemed heavy for just nylon. I will try them and see how it works. I don't know how much I will actually get to use them since it is a couple hour drive to the good trout streams. I thought the price seemed right for a first pair, especially after the salesman went at lengths to tell me that even the expensive waders only last 3-5 years. :icon_roll

Thanks for the input.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Just an added thought to Dillon's comments above. Even in cold weather the 'average size' male will sweat upwards of a liter of water. That's a lot of juice and it has to go somewhere. With cotton it will just sit there next to your skin.

With 'breathable/nonabsorbent' material next to your skin this will tend to pass through and away. A good thing.:fishing:

codypom

Reaction score
Just an added thought to Dillon's comments above. Even in cold weather the 'average size' male will sweat upwards of a liter of water. That's a lot of juice and it has to go somewhere. With cotton it will just sit there next to your skin.

With 'breathable/nonabsorbent' material next to your skin this will tend to pass through and away. A good thing.:fishing:
So would you say that 50% cotton is too much?

cletus

Reaction score
In addition to the downsides of cotton under waders, those BDUs may get pretty bulky under waders. You may "feel" that in places you don't want to at the end of the day!

codypom

Reaction score
They made tropical weight BDUs without cotton. My favorite summer pants.
I had a pair of those that were my dad's Vietnam jungle uniform, they were great. I have several pairs of the regular summer 50/50 and I wear them all the time, all year round. Even the desert camo is 50/50.