I'm Back From The Cabin...............

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone :)

It's been since Christmas since I decided to take a trip to our cabin out at Hewitt Lake and I've missed a bunch of discussions for sure here. I arrived back in Willow last night at 9:00 PM after a long rough trip home on the frozen rivers. The high waters of fall resulted in much broken ice on all of the rivers and this in turn produced ridges, shelves, and huge burgs of ice worse than the normal. When combined with the warm weather that precipitated my trip home the ride of some 77 miles was all hard surface, all the way. By the time I reached the Upper Yentna River valley the temperature had dipped to 9 degrees and all that soft snow formed up well. I'll get myself together over the next few days and then do some writing about the past couple months and the experiences I had out there.

I was ready to come home almost 2 weeks ago because I had exhausted my supply of building materials ie: I could do no more interior work. The weather however did not cooperate and there were no mail planes arriving at Skwentna for the past 10 days. I needed to wait for a plane so I could have Boss flown into Anchorage which would free me up to leave. Yesterday the skies cleared and a plane came in at 2:00 PM and off he went :) During those 10 days while we waited for transport the area where the cabin is located received almost 34 inches of snow atop of the 3 feet on the ground prior to that. I am happy to be home and the luxury of electric lights and running water are greatly appreciated by this traveler for sure.

Right before I left I did pick up a new 13' 7 weight Hardy Marksman rod for the spring trout season and I'll have to get a photo up on the Rod Love thread soon I guess. It's been a long time friends and I'm glad to be able to send out this post to the group.

I will be reading PM's and threads in an effort to catch up for quite some time but will begin posting soon also.

Ard

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Ard: Welcome home and glad your safe and sound, I'm sure being back home feels mighty fine!

I was giving you a bit of a hard time on your post on the Palmering Hackle thread as I didn't see this thread letting everyone know you made it back safe and sound!

Larry

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Larry,

I always try to plug Allan's work on the tie along thread and the folding seemed to fit the thread. It's good to be at the key board again, I'll PM soon.

Ard

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:):)Hey Ard:):)Dan and Larry gave us some news while you were at the cabin and it's great to see you back with us:)We were really missing you;)
Don't type too hard on the keyboard the forum has been a little "fragile" for a while:DLooking forward to seeing pics of the job you did.

theboz

Reaction score
Glad to see you back Ard! You were missed ! But I have to say the guys did a good job picking up the slack in your absence ! Looking foward to your story!

jaybo41

Reaction score
Hey Ard!

Welcome back to the forum! I've missed your contributions here but hope you had a great time while away at your cabin. Larry and Dan have done a great job keeping us informed of the work you were doing and your proof of life:)

I hope you had turned off notifications while you were gone or had the ability to at least keep up with them. Otherwise, you've got a lot of reading and cleaning of your email to do!

Good to see you posting again!

jaybo

popperfly

Reaction score
Welcome back Ard,

Looking forward to reading about all the work you did on the cabin and your travels, hope you can include some pictures? :D

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
It was 6* when I came off the Susitna last night Dan. The trail on the lower Yentna was really rough because there were lots of fun riders out over the weekend with the temps around 36* down there. When I hit it the air was about 10* and every little rut was grabbing the scags and tossing me around pretty well. I was beat by the time I got home.

Kerry Pitt

Reaction score
Ard I heard they had found a wolf in that area suffering from food poisoning, thought maybe he tried to take a bite out of you. Nice to have you back!

L

Liphookedau

Hi Ard,it's good to see you are back,I realise you being not really far from Mt McKinlay how the weather can be,you must have had a real dumping of Snow.
Last time I flew in to The Yentna/Skwentna Area which was in September The Beaver couldn't get out for 4 or 5 hours because of The Huge Fogs as there can be a real quick weather turn aroiund any time,especially Winter.
Brian.

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Brian,

When you come back you better let me know well in advance. We are looking forward to returning in 2 weeks with a big freight load and I'll be staying again to continue with the interior work. When you come back make time for a visit to our place, matter of fact you might just as well go fishing with me for a few days...............

L

Liphookedau

Hi Ard.
I definately will do,I hope your Building goes to plan & Murphy's Law doesn't interupt.
Brian

fyshstykr

Reaction score
The Sheriff is back in town Boyz, y'all better straighten up.:D

Glad your back Ard, it'll be good to read ya again.