Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Is ferrule wax necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by rusty 54 View Post
    I emailed a TFO tech guy a couple of years ago, he said NOT to wax their ferrules
    He is mistaken. Wax should not be used on bamboo fly rods but should be used on all composite rods with spigot or end over tip ferrules.

Not according to their warranty sheet. See 2nd page lower left hand corner of the warranty sheet below.

http://www.springbrook.ca/images/TFOFLYRODWARRANTY.pdf

"Loose ferrules will also result in breakage. Regularly check the joints throughout the day to ensure they are tight. If they are constantly loosening, apply a very light rub of white candle wax to the male section.. To avoid having sections twist (when Spey Casting) and prevent breakage from loosened joints you should always tape the joints, black electricians tape is recommended."

No graphite fly rod manufacturer that I know of has ever said NOT to put paraffin wax on a ferrule. See the Sage, Orvis, Winston, and Echo recommendations below. All including TFO either recommend wax or say it is permissible.

Equipment Care - About Sage | Sage Fly Fishing

"Periodically wax the ferrules (where the rod pieces separate) lightly with paraffin to ensure a firm fit and proper function."

Preventing Rod Breakage by Orvis

"Over the season apply ferrule wax (included in all new rods) or regular candle wax to ensure a snug fit. This will greatly reduce your chance of a rod break."

https://www.winstonrods.com/category/resources/faq.php

"With sleeve ferrules, rubbing a little paraffin wax on the male end can help."

Rajeff Sports - Airflo Flylines, Echo Rods, lots of fly-fishing advice

"Paraffin wax can also be used on the ferrules if needed to ensure a proper fit. "
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

2. Likes 1move liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by rusty 54 View Post
    I emailed a TFO tech guy a couple of years ago, he said NOT to wax their ferrules
    So you can buy more TFO rods We just saved you!!!

I think that the recommendation not to use wax on the TFO rods might have something to do with their over-sized spigot ferrules.
    Those things are so large that they're actually in need of some wear-down and if they weren't waxed, that wouldn't happen.

I have a 40+ year old Lamiglas with a spigot ferrule that so worn down that you can't even use it without the wax.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

As I understand it, spigot ferrules have some extra length so they can wear but my understanding is they should be waxed.

Which Fly Rod Ferrule Is Best? | MidCurrent

Bartschi is the rod designer for Scott fly rods.

"Bartschi recommends that internal (spigot) ferrules be cleaned and waxed periodically to minimize wear."
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Even though I don't use it I think there are reasons to do so as only recently a Guy Fishing near us Broke his Rod at A Ferrule,it was suggested maybe The Ferrule wasn't seated right??
    I'm Thinking maybe some wax could have helped??,another Fishing Friend couldn't get his Rod apart for weeks,so again some Wax could have definately helped.
    Brian.

Brian,

I'd give good odds that it wouldn't have broken at the ferrule if it had been waxed.
    http://www.miterclamp.com/Images/N_Amer_FF.jpg Cheers, Jim

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123