Gorge Fly Shop

Kerry Pitt

Reaction score
I have grown to really dislike most of the Fly Shops I have visited. Many of them won't talk to you unless you are wearing the best of Columbia or won't talk anything but Bone fish etc and we live in Alberta. They are snobotoriums for the most part. Funnily enough the best one I have found is part of a Canadian 'Big Box" store where the pro actually knows his stuff and doesn't mind chatting about any kind of fly fishing. I have watched him help women out when they buy equipment for either themselves or their Husbands and he does not break their banks. I support this shop as much as I can, the rest I buy online, but there are a half dozen shops I will not visit anymore.

theboz

Reaction score
I have two shops within a 3 mile radius of me. One I've been to once the other is my home away from home! There's a reason for this it's called customer service and just being a good human being! Easy decision ! Rather go to someone I respect and pay more than be treated like " hey I know more than you , shut up and shop"!

brian miville

Reaction score
The fly shop near me, Stone River Outfitters, I fell in love with the minute I walked through the door. The guy who was working there did not sit there breathing over my shoulder, but said "if you need help finding anything don't be afraid to ask." And when I did need help something he would stop what he was doing and happily bring me to it. I couldn't find soft hen hackle. "Oh yes, I have that in an odd place, here they are....feel free to check through them all since the coloration is different." Couldn't find the Bucktails. "Yup, right over here on this back wall." This had to be the best experience in a store of any kind in a long time. I have been in stores where you couldn't get anyone to even blink at you even when you had a fist full of cash you WANTED to spend (hello Sears, I am looking at you ;) ), and in stores where they just wouldn't leave you alone no matter what. The guy at Stone River made an instant repeat customer out of me on the first day.

troutnut4

Reaction score
I have one fly shop within a 60 mile radius and is the only shop that carries any kind of fly tackle(quality) and can offer a sensible conversation about it. That shop has received all my business for the last two years. Online advice and internet purchases are the only source for what I want. My fly shop is a dedicated Sage / Hardy dealer and so the exposure to Abel, Winston, Scott and others is not available. I envy those of you that have a variety of outlets throughout the USA (not to mention the fishery that you enjoy). My opportunity to get that exposure is to travel to the L.L.Beans and Kittery Trading Post outlets when I am in the US. I recently bought a rod from an "Oregon Fly Shop" that has been mentioned here lately and had an issue that went un-resolved. I was not 100% satisfied,::ranting3: but have moved on. Buying online has not been the best way to buy gear for me. I should mention that a "discount outlet" has moved in here from another province but offers nothing like the gear I look for. Try to buy and Abel reel or a Winston rod at the Walmart or Canadian Tire outlet.:eek: Glad to see a fellow Canadian on the forum...Kerry:D

cletus

Reaction score
I've plugged them before, but Stillwater Outfitters in Sunriver, Oregon, has outstanding customer service (in addition to no tax, free shipping, and free lines with the reels they sell).

I purchased a demo Abel Creek over the phone from them shortly before Christmas. The reel had had been used in some advertising and was already lined. I got a great deal on it. However, there was a mix-up in shipping and it went to San Jose (a number got transposed on the zip code) rather than here. What did they do? Sent me a brand new Abel Creek with the line of my choice and their sincere apologies. Great shop.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I'm scratching my head here if this is 'the' Gorge Fly shop that I know; on the Columbia River for a lack of a better 'here's where its at.'

This shop has a heck of a positive following, even in the UK. Yes, you 'read me right,' the UK. One of the few that will take the time to actually walk to the Post Office and send off a package. (Flyfishusa is another, I'm (yes me) the next biggest shipper to the UK)

May we ask for what prompted this post up?

fae

Rip Tide

Reaction score
There's an Orvis affiliated shop on Cape Cod.
The first couple of times visiting there I definitely got the "your type ain't welcome here" vibe. It was as if I was invisible. Didn't plan on returning

Then one day we were driving by when an ad came on the radio that they were having a tent sale, so we pulled in.
.... they sure noticed me that day. :rolleyes:
A guy followed me around the whole time to make sure that I didn't steal anything

mista_bob

Reaction score
I agree that some shops have a "snobbish" vibe, but if anyone is ever in Idaho Falls because you're fishing the South Fork or North (Henry's) Fork of the Snake River, Jimmy's All Seasons Angler is about as good as it gets. Never heard anyone complain about them, even though they're the only real fly shop in town. There are several shops in Island Park and the surrounding area that vary quite a bit, though.

jaybo41

Reaction score
I've plugged them before, but Stillwater Outfitters in Sunriver, Oregon, has outstanding customer service (in addition to no tax, free shipping, and free lines with the reels they sell).

I purchased a demo Abel Creek over the phone from them shortly before Christmas. The reel had had been used in some advertising and was already lined. I got a great deal on it. However, there was a mix-up in shipping and it went to San Jose (a number got transposed on the zip code) rather than here. What did they do? Sent me a brand new Abel Creek with the line of my choice and their sincere apologies. Great shop.
I've purchased a lot from fly shops, both visiting the brick & mortar location and or purchase via internet. Stillwater is absolutely one of the finest shops I've ever dealt with.

williamhj

Reaction score
The no tax and free shipping is a reason I shop at Casters Fly Shop in Hickory NC when I'm buying something online. Other reasons are that they are prompt and helpful and carry a ton of stuff! I'm enjoying reading through the posts on the threads as folks talk about shops they like and why, but the first post confuses me a bit. It's vague and I'm not sure the purpose of posting it. Perhaps I'm missing something.

wt bash

Reaction score
I have grown to really dislike most of the Fly Shops I have visited. Many of them won't talk to you unless you are wearing the best of Columbia or won't talk anything but Bone fish etc and we live in Alberta. They are snobotoriums for the most part
I definitely got the "your type ain't welcome here" vibe.
I get it all the time. My favorite is "Are you just looking today?". My favorite shop was the Fly Hatch back in NJ, I got the same treatment in there the first time around too but back at that time there were very few shops in that area so they gotta lot of "lookers". It didn't take long for that vibe to change. They've moved to Fla now but out here and sometimes while in Pa I get the "here's another one" look from some guy in a pink vented shirt behind the counter. One of the shops I do like around here its hit or miss, sometimes the guy remembers you and you can't get the conversation to stop, other times its like you've interrupted him and its an annoyance for him to ring you up.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Please read this;

Check out the recent posts by rayzor and nickj re: RIO Lines. This will explain the reason for this thread.
Good call, I have been watching this aungst build regarding the brand and more notably the 'George Fly Shop'.

I will hope that rayzor & Nick read this post. I understand that when a person feels they have purchased a bum steer they may also believe it incumbent upon them to warn others so that they will avoid the same thing. However, the forum is not affiliated with the 'Better Business Bureau' of the United States of any one of the States.

For future reference; if you are unhappy with a product - seller - seller's service, or otherwise, please keep the posts regarding your problem to incidental mention of the dissatisfaction. Do not start multiple threads revolving around the same issue or complaint. If a member chooses to start multiple threads on the same subject or post to threads with the complaints and or bashing products & businesses that can not defend themselves here those members may be considered to be Spamming the forum with their personal grievances. Spammers' have their posts and threads deleted and are removed from membership here.

Thank You for cooperating with this simple request,

Ard

nickj

Reaction score
Re: Please read this;

Good call, I have been watching this aungst build regarding the brand and more notably the 'George Fly Shop'.

I will hope that rayzor & Nick read this post. I understand that when a person feels they have purchased a bum steer they may also believe it incumbent upon them to warn others so that they will avoid the same thing. However, the forum is not affiliated with the 'Better Business Bureau' of the United States of any one of the States.

For future reference; if you are unhappy with a product - seller - seller's service, or otherwise, please keep the posts regarding your problem to incidental mention of the dissatisfaction. Do not start multiple threads revolving around the same issue or complaint. If a member chooses to start multiple threads on the same subject or post to threads with the complaints and or bashing products & businesses that can not defend themselves here those members may be considered to be Spamming the forum with their personal grievances. Spammers' have their posts and threads deleted and are removed from membership here.

Thank You for cooperating with this simple request,

Ard
I think I made it pretty clear a while ago exactly what my experience was with two line manufacturers. Not "I hate these people" or "this manufacturer sucks", just my experience. My recent posts were in response to a forum member's question about one. Not everyone knows how to use Search, I think.

Last edited:

coug

Reaction score
I'm scratching my head here if this is 'the' Gorge Fly shop that I know; on the Columbia River for a lack of a better 'here's where its at.'

This shop has a heck of a positive following, even in the UK. Yes, you 'read me right,' the UK. One of the few that will take the time to actually walk to the Post Office and send off a package. (Flyfishusa is another, I'm (yes me) the next biggest shipper to the UK)

May we ask for what prompted this post up?

fae
Well I am going to chime in here because I have done a lot of business with the gorge fly shop (and also flyfishusa) and never had a problem. Any problems with order or satisfaction have been taken care of with a phone call or an email. I live in E.WA right on the ID border and the nearest shop is over an hour away, so I do most of my business over the internet. Those two shops are among my favorites. I have had the chance to visit both when I make trips over to the liberal side of the OR and WA and can also say that the staffs of both shops are first rate. On one of those trips I bought a part for my pontoon but found out it was the wrong one when I got home. They exchanged it straight up for the correct part even though the correct one was $8 or $9 more. That is the kind of thing that keeps me going back.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but I guess I am surprised they did not let you return it for your money back?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Please read this;

No worries Nick,

Through the years we have seen what seemed like a simple matter of dissatisfaction with a product or seller turn into an almost obsessed and continual bashing of same. My intention in the above post was to nip things in the bud.

Last year I experienced an unbelievable mix up with a tackle manufacturer that resulted in months of confusion and sent me off on a trip in May of 2012 without an essential piece of gear. The mix up (for lack of a better description) began on February 26 and had not yet been resolved by mid May!

What I did not do was post about it at all. I did discuss via PM's the problem with a couple members but refrained from publicizing my issue. The end result; the company made things right and provided me with $440.00 worth of bonus / free, equipment for my having been so patient with them.

I also ended up with a good relationship with the director of customer services with this Montana based company and I expect one day this person will come here to go fishing with me. As I said it took a little over 3 months to clear up the deal but I stayed with it and through tempered diplomacy I ended up better than when I had began.

I have had a number of the most well known tackle manufactures in America & the UK make good on all sorts of problems I've had over the years with products. What I did on every occasion was to cover every protocol as I worked my way to settling the issues. I doubt very much that had I taken the position of town crier and did my best to gain satisfaction by defaming the people in question that I would have been successful.

This post is not directed at anyone in particular but is simply a brief overview of my own experiences.

Ard

rayzor

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Okay I should not of posted my anger on the forums. I will not post against any flyshop again. I apolagise to all I may of offended on this matter .

I have resolved the problem now . I was given information incorrect.

the matter should of been kept between Myself , Gorge Fly Shop & Rio.

We all make mistakes ... Mine was posting on the matter instead of resolving it in a different manner.

Fly Fishing is all about fun not Moaning.

Reactions: Ard