Real wintertime boredom ?

comeonavs

Reaction score
Boredom leads me to ask, I know it's dumb but ...

Does it annoy you when you look at buying used gear and the original owner somehow misplaced , the reel pouch or box. When the guy lost the rod sock and tube ?Is it just me a my "particular" ways. I can't fathom losing a rod tube or sock. I have every box / neoprene pouch for every reel I have bought new.

I know sort of dumb ? And not a real critical thread. I was just browsing ebay and Craigslist , it is amazing how many expensive rods and reels are for sale without all the original bells and whistles.

I apologize in advance if I offended anybody with this question.

jaybo41

Reaction score
I don't know that it annoys me per say, but it does deter me in some cases from pulling the trigger on their offerings. I can buy another sock, tube or reel case and live without it IF the asking price reflects the lack of such items. It also depends on the item.

If it's an old item, long out of production then sometimes it happens. I'm more forgiving when it comes to reels by the way. No case with a reel--I can live with that. With a pre-loved rod, no tube makes me wonder how well the rod has or has not been cared for. For that matter, even where they came from.

I'm with you though, I don't know how people can lose a case, sock or tube. Makes no sense.

littledavid123

Reaction score
It's a good question, makes one wonder just how many of these rods/reels are stolen? Although it is more plausible to loose a reel box or cover, the rod tube missing is a little harder to justify.

Good Thread, makes more sense then hiding your corn muffins in the chicken coop...

Dave

caseywise

Reaction score
i agree, i,ve never "lost" or "misplaced" a rod tube or reel case.
i think some of these people either sell the items separately or keep them for themselves:confused:

casey

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
It's a good question, makes one wonder just how many of these rods/reels are stolen? Although it is more plausible to loose a reel box or cover, the rod tube missing is a little harder to justify.

Good Thread, makes more sense then hiding your corn muffins in the chicken coop...

Dave
Dave: That is my feeling also! How do you loose a rod tube/sock. Reminds me of a big break in at a fly shop awhile back where someone stole a boat load of rods (but I can't remember where the shop was located). I'm sure those rods are being unloaded on EBay and Craigslist.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I thought I was going Loco

Even now I use the Simms and Fishpond reel cases ( hold 4 reels each ), all the neoprene cases are in the original boxes. The warranty cards for my rods are in a file. Heck I even keep the original packaging from my fly lines. And I'm not a pack rat I throw away and donate more stuff to charity than I care to think of.

I will admit I do hoard the,little boxes and pouches fly hooks come in (Dai Riki mostly) I use those when I tie up new patterns for my buddies I have something to throw them in.

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think you're strange one bit and like others I just don't lose tubes, socks or cases. I believe that some people get into this on a lark and having no reverence for the sport or equipment gear is treated carelessly perhaps.

I sold a Lamson Velocity 3.5 a few years back without the box :eek: I just couldn't find it! About six months after the sale I found the original box and warranty papers in the basement storage.................... :eek:

On Craigslist nothing would surprise me as to why rods without tubes may be for sale.

JoJer

Reaction score
I keep all that stuff that comes with, too. Whether I could lay my hands on it on short notice is another question. Since my 4 and 6 wt rods "live" in a double rod caddy the tubes for those rods collect a lot of dust. I have to mail the 6 wt in for repair so O opened the tube yesterday. I'd completely forgotton that it came with a sock.
Only took me 50 years or so to learn to staple the reciept in the instruction book and file it. Actually, what it took was being hosed for a warranty replacement from Black and Decker.

tbblom

Reaction score
We don't have room for storage. All empty boxes must go.
pretty hard to imagine losing a rod tube though...

Saving fly line boxes? yeah, that is definitely hoarding behavior!;)

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Hi Comeonavs,

It’s a good topic and here are some ideas.

At one time, some of the major rod manufacturers sold Key Employee rods that came with a sock but without a case, unless the Key chose to order it separately and pay the difference.
Most of our keys would opt for the case. I had a few that I didn’t order cases for.
Why? Sometimes it just didn’t seem all that important to me and every rod I owned had a D.B.Dun nest. I’d clear out my personal rods pretty fast, as the new models came along…and there was no shortage of empty rod cases in the shop.
Most of my rods had quite a bit use on them by that time, as they’d be lent out frequently for weekends, etc. to anglers who were on the fence about purchasing one.

Every year at our largest shop during inventory time, we’d end up with a couple of empty rod cases in our racks, or rod cases that contained only empty socks, but no rod in stock that corresponded to those cases. Pretty hard to believe that someone would buy a top shelf rod and not want the warranty card, sock in some instances or the case, even if they were purchasing an aftermarket rod/reel case or a multi-rod carrier to go along with it.

Now if you ever saw my 697-4 XP case, you’d see a good reason for separating the case from the rod. Most guys would balk at buying the rod, if they saw the case. It's flown about every other week for the last six years, which takes a toll. Years ago when the rod was new, we were breaking down our rigs near days end and my bud grabbed both of our rod cases from the car. Unfortunately he had mine in his right hand and when he freaked because a wasp buzzed his face. Taking a wild swing at it, he missed by a mile. Instead of knocking the wasp into the next zip code, he caught the rear pillar and window of our rental car. “ Get the insurance - especially if you can expense it “ .While the rod wasn’t in the case at the time, the case has a baseball sized ding in it, that mimics the corner of the car.

While I’m never bummed that someone doesn’t have a case for a rod or reel. It does set me to thinking, but then seeing how some folks “ don’t “ take care of the gear. It doesn’t surprise me if they’ve simply misplaced some of the components that it came with.

Thanks, TT

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have lost reel boxes but I owned them over 30 years! Some how they got misplace. Never lost a rod tube or sock, but the screw in tops somehow go missing. I think bouncing around in my truck they unscrew and away they go. It always upsets me. I lost a ferrel (sp) plug once on the Taylor near Crested Butte, Colorado. For my birthday my wife got the rod maker to make me a new one, he wasn't dead yet, I had owned that rod for over 30 years and now it has a new plug.